Enjoy saturated fats, they are good for you

Not sure. It certainly is counter-intuitive, though. Rabbits aren't the only ones to exhibit high cholesterol from a high-fat diet. There are more studies backing up the opposite of what this article posits. Though it would be great if it were true wink.gif

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Sep 2 2011, 11:10 AM)
Interesting article.

What do you guys think about it?

http://lewrockwell.com/miller/miller38.1.html

There is some truth in that article. Saturated fats, if they come from a good source (like organic grass-fed beef) ARE beneficial. Saturated fat from a McDonald's burger, not so good.

Your brain is mostly fat, and you need some fat (GOOD fat) in your diet to maintain a healthy brain.

I won't post more than that. One thing I've learned on this board -- make long posts about healthy foods that go against the mainstream, and people will either raise their eyebrows at you and think you're weird, or they won't read past the first sentence. wink.gif

Is this going to be like the way they can never decide if eggs are good for you or bad for you? When I was a kid, eggs were good. Then "they" decided that eggs were high in cholesterol, so they were bad. Then "they" decided that eggs were okay, but only the whites. Then the whole egg was okay, but only one or two a week. I think now, they're saying eggs are good for you again, but you have to buy cage-free or free-roaming or organic.

Lewis Black did a routine about eggs a while back that actually sounds a lot like what I just wrote, but you know... it's absolutely true. I was born in '75 and I remember going through each of these stages.

So... saturated fat?

people are oversensitive about food. Moderation is the key.

I'd hate to die in a car accident knowing I was only eating healthy food to live long enough to see the inside of a retirement home (with abusive staff).

There is some truth in that article. Saturated fats, if they come from a good source (like organic grass-fed beef) ARE beneficial. Saturated fat from a McDonald's burger, not so good.

Yea, if you are going to go with this idea, you need to go with it insofar as you use natural, no artificial hormones or anything artificial in it, naturally raised critters.

Otherwise, you are merely consuming the same artificial crap anyway.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 2 2011, 10:39 PM)
There are more studies backing up the opposite of what this article posits.

It is my understanding that those studies do not distinguish between things like natural fats and transfat, but instead lump them all into the same category.

Such studies are meaningless.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 3 2011, 12:32 PM)
people are oversensitive about food. Moderation is the key.

I'd hate to die in a car accident knowing I was only eating healthy food to live long enough to see the inside of a retirement home (with abusive staff).

Excellent point. I don't want to continue to exist just because I've got the heart of an ox that won't let me die, thanks to the fact that I never ate anything that was "bad" for me (but tasted so good).

Too many potential factors are completely ignored in the article and it seems to make the age-old confusion of correlation and causality. There is good reason to believe that most people were much more physically active 100 years ago than now due to more people living on the farm and less automation throughout our lives but that is never mentioned in the article. Sounds like the Atkin's Diet 2.0