Been to Lakeside Park?

SpiritOnAMissionI

Hi everybody,

My first post here!

I grew up just a couple of miles away from Lakeside Park. Went to Neil's high school too.

I'm not only a huge Rush fan but I also have a connection with the band, and in particular with Alex.

Good to be here!

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 4 2011, 11:13 PM)
Hi everybody,
My first post here!
I grew up just a couple of miles away from Lakeside Park. Went to Neil's high school too.
I'm not only a huge Rush fan but I also have a connection with the band, and in particular with Alex.
Good to be here!

Welcome! trink39.gif

Cool about the high school. smile.gif You should plan a reunion and see if Neil comes! tongue.gif

QUOTE (SpiritOnAMissionI @ Aug 4 2011, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 3 2011, 10:43 AM)
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/redscaledpirhana/IMG_0170.jpg

Lakeside Park 2009.

If you look hard enough you can make out the distant skylines of Toronto and Mississauga.

awesome, thanks for shareing the pic. When I go back up there I will bring my camera this time around.

What a gorgeous view! smile.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

What a gorgeous view!  smile.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yes....It hasn't changed a bit since I grew up there. Only the benches are new. My friends and I did exactly what Neil's lyrics say, Friday and Saturday nights were parties. In the day we'd skateboard or ride our bikes in Lakeside Park parking lot and up the piers. Sometimes we'd fish. Ah youth! Years later I was the guitar player in a band and we did quite a bit a Rush material...whenever we played "Lakeside Park" it was a magical moment for me.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 3 2011, 06:17 AM)
There was a Lakeside Park near where I went to college, but it was in Texas... so... yeah. Um... doesn't count.

Maybe they moved it from Canada...

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 5 2011, 04:13 AM)
Hi everybody,
My first post here!
Good to be here!

Welcome to TRF! bekloppt.gif

What connections are they then? Or aren't you allowed to divulge?! ph34r.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Aug 6 2011, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 5 2011, 04:13 AM)
Hi everybody,
My first post here!
Good to be here!

Welcome to TRF! bekloppt.gif

What connections are they then? Or aren't you allowed to divulge?! ph34r.gif wink.gif

Hi LyndseyG,

Thank you for the welcome!

My connection to the band started with a close friend when I was a teenager, Alex's guitar tech Jimmy Johnson. JJ and I hung out together a lot. I was in a band that rented PA equipment from JJ as well. We did a lot of Rush covers of course!

Guitars were my whole life really, and so I trained to become a luthier. I was in business for myself in my early 20s when JJ showed me a guitar that Alex had given him. It was a Gibson "The Paul". But it looked like a coffee table, it was just a natural walnut finish. I told JJ that I would refinish it for him in whatever colour he wanted, just cause we were friends...and he had done so many favors for me I wanted to repay him (I can't remember how many times he invited me to Rush shows where I would come backstage, or hang in the tour bus or even on the stage right wing during the show).

So I refinished the guitar in a high gloss black nitro lacquer. Later he told me that he showed it to Alex, and Alex really liked it and wanted to know if JJ would sell it to him. JJ told him "this is the guitar you gave me!"

So apparently Al was sufficiantly impressed that I started working on all of his guitars (and there were a lot of them!). Set-ups, fret work, custom mods...Geddy's instruments too. I was the guy who restored Alex's ES-355 in 1996.

Awesome story.Thanks for posting!