Another genesis...Progject

Though I'm a MUCH, MUCH larger fan of the 1978-onward music of Genesis, I look forward to seeing more of this list and see where "Ripples" and "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" end up (two of my favorites of the era) wink.gif

55.Squonk

6.5/10

Some good hooks and riffs and a nice part that appears every now and then with the keys, which makes you feel happy and sad...it's good, scratch that, great song-writing. But the song goes on longer than it should and is missing something memorable like Dance on a Volcano. It sounds like something from 1985 and that means it's way ahead of its time. It's lyrically above decent, and like I said, some melodies are nice, especially the softer parts.

But while the music matches the lyrics quite fine, this song is just lacking atmosphere. And that's what Genesis is about.

54.I Know What I Like

This is a fun song and it does have a nice atmosphere and catchy hooks and whatnot. It even contains some of that surrealism i'm looking for. It rounds out the album well. But it's just completely lacking in power compared to so many other songs in this era of genesis. It's lyrically quite entertaining huh.gif and the music is upbeat and a good deal of fun. But that's all I see in this track, and it has no staying power and nothing very memorable except for that sitar sound.

53.Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist

6.5/10 (I forgot to rank I know what I Like and that is also a 6.5/10)

I think everyone loves this fun guitar solo and those short but sweet vocals in the intro. As part of the lamb, I believe it works well, because after being scared witless by the waiting room and mesmerized by the haunting anyway, you're thrust into this seemingly happy guitar solo. And it's creepy because it is different from what you heard, yet it still contains its disturbing moments, especially in the quick lyrics describing death.

Alone however, this isn't very representative about the lamb or genesis itself. And it seems like someone just fooling around.

Or is that what genesis does, just fool around? ph34r.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 4 2011, 07:43 AM)
6.5/10 (I forgot to rank I know what I Like and that is also a 6.5/10)

I think everyone loves this fun guitar solo and those short but sweet vocals in the intro. As part of the lamb, I believe it works well, because after being scared witless by the waiting room and mesmerized by the haunting anyway, you're thrust into this seemingly happy guitar solo. And it's creepy because it is different from what you heard, yet it still contains its disturbing moments, especially in the quick lyrics describing death.

Alone however, this isn't very representative about the lamb or genesis itself. And it seems like someone just fooling around.

Or is that what genesis does, just fool around? ph34r.gif

This song better than Squonk???

ohmy.gif

huh.gif

comp26.gif

biggrin.gif carry on..

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 4 2011, 07:43 AM)

...alone however, this isn't very representative about the lamb or genesis itself...

which is why the structure of your rating list is flawed

taking sections out of a larger piece and placing them side-by-side with stand alone tracks is apples and oranges at best

no one would take 'Hyperspace' from Natural Science or 'Discovery' from 2112 and size them up against 'Witch Hunt' or 'Earthshine'

and unless you're going to start parting out 'Willow Farm' and 'As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs' as separate songs from Supper's Ready, I think you need to rethink your strategy before you go any further

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 4 2011, 10:52 AM)
Professor Of Pedantry

yep

sometimes tongue.gif

but there's nothing excessive, overemphasized or lacking in common sense about my point here, though

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 4 2011, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 4 2011, 10:52 AM)
Professor Of Pedantry

yep

sometimes tongue.gif

but there's nothing excessive, overemphasized or lacking in common sense about my point here, though

I was thinking about leaving the lamb out or making it one song...but I don't know...this is hard tongue.gif

And you're implying supper's ready will be number one...hmm, well let's see smile.gif

I told you in the beginning, this is stupid, so continue following if you wish, if not ot's cool. Ghostworks and Tony R rule trink39.gif