Another genesis...Progject

A list I may not finish, but who cares. I thought I would go ahead and make a list similar to my 2.gif list, ordering the songs from worst to best in my opinion. The list will be made by an ignorant silly 17 year old and will be written like this:

30% of it's place is determined by how much I like it.

60% of it's place is due to atmosphere, complexity (in both rhythm and melody), lyrics (if any) and since Genesis is a surreal band, how "surreal" the song is.

And I don't know about the other 10% trink38.gif

I may or may not finish this, so screw you guys! moon.gif

Oh and one last thing, important thing.

This is only their prog era...from Trespass to Wind and Wuthering.

Yeah, sorry. Yes, I have heard their whole catalog and enjoy practically all of it...I just enjoy this era five million times more. I'll get started when I feel like it 1022.gif 2.gif

By the way, Horizons is it's own song, while Aisle of Plenty will be reviewed with The Cinema Show, and Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974 are also one song. Unquiet Slumbers for the sleepers...in that quiet earth is also one song. And finally, if it wasn't clarified with what I said about Fly on a Windshield, the lamb add 22 songs.

The lamb is graded slightly differently, however. These will also be reviewed by what they add to the experience of the lamb.

Okay, enough of that, on we go!

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

64. Afterglow

5.5/10

(remember, rating is in comparison to the other songs on the list)

Anthemic? Sure, somewhat. But nothing memorable happens really, and while it does contain some classic genesis surrealism, it's too bland and that quality simply does not shine through. Lyrically, it's decent, better than most pop songs, but nowhere near Gabriel stuff. Too straightforward and that's not what genesis is about (at least not at that time.)

So, it's a pretty song, sure, but the worst of this era. Nothing happens. All you can do is sway your lighter side-to-side for five minutes to the somewhat generic music. And Hackett doesn't do anything, and I'm pretty sure Rutherford doesn't either...nothing is really going on for this song. And yet it makes a pretty decent closer and it is pleasant to have playing in the background. Therefore it gets a 5.5.

63. Ravine

5.5/10

Easily the weakest part of The Lamb. Of course, by now, you are probably so absorbed in the rest of it that this little bit doesn't do much except give the album flow...but really...this is the most uninspired part and we all know it's very existence is there so that Peter can change costumes...

The music is bland but surely a little freaky, which is great and much needed in The Lamb. Alone, this piece of music doesn't do anything and would probably be lower than Afterglow (it was a real tough decision (not really)) but because this still has a somewhat surreal quality to it, I think this should be a nanometer above Afterglow. But in both songs, nothing happens...well this one does end quicker laugh.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 25 2011, 12:55 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 24 2011, 08:55 PM)
I have a feeling Cinema Show will be #1... biggrin.gif

unsure.gif

Isn't Cinema Show like your favorite song of all time, besides Bravado?

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 25 2011, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 25 2011, 12:55 AM)

unsure.gif

unsure.gif

62.Wot Gorrila?

5.5/10

Nice riffage and nice drums but compared to another kick ass instrumental, this doesn't kick much ass. And it feels a bit like a joke (which it is) but a joke of a joke, if that makes any sense wacko.gif

I don't know. Not much goes on here. It's a bit repetitive and while it's fun to listen to it lacks that classic surrealism sad.gif. (I'll be using that term a lot, deal with it.)

Really great keyboard playing though, similar to riding the scree. Weeeee! A fun song, just not so marvelous or anything.

just three songs in, and your judgment is already in a mad dash toward 'questionable'

now, you have indeed described your 'system' for rating them, and we can all clearly deduce that it's a '100% personal opinion' system (and there's nothing wrong with that) wink.gif

even so - when you state that you're going to consider 'Trespass' to 'W&W' (from least favorite to most) and you start your 'worst' list with 'Afterglow', 'Ravine' and 'Wot Gorilla?'...

sure - those three tracks aren't top tens - granted - but you had 'The Waiting Room', 'Trick Of The Tail' and 'Visions Of Angels' waiting there in the bottom of the barrel and you skipped right by them

but maybe what I'm experiencing is more than just our difference of opinion

how long have you been listening to Genesis - two years? three?

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 25 2011, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 25 2011, 08:54 AM)

unsure.gif

unsure.gif

Wasn't it in that list for a while in your signature. confused13.gif

Maybe I'm just stupid. unsure.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 25 2011, 11:00 AM)
just three songs in, and your judgment is already in a mad dash toward 'questionable'

now, you have indeed described your 'system' for rating them, and we can all clearly deduce that it's a '100% personal opinion' system (and there's nothing wrong with that) wink.gif

even so - when you state that you're going to consider 'Trespass' to 'W&W' (from least favorite to most) and you start your 'worst' list with 'Afterglow', 'Ravine' and 'Wot Gorilla?'...

sure - those three tracks aren't top tens - granted - but you had 'The Waiting Room', 'Trick Of The Tail' and 'Visions Of Angels' waiting there in the bottom of the barrel and you skipped right by them

but maybe what I'm experiencing is more than just our difference of opinion

how long have you been listening to Genesis - two years? three?

Not long enough tongue.gif I'm seventeen biggrin.gif

And I like those three songs more... unsure.gif

I'll continue this after I have listened to genesis for forty years or something wink.gif

Or maybe tonight.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 25 2011, 12:55 AM)

unsure.gif

The lamb (all of it) would be no.1 if it counted as one song tongue.gif

But I'm trying not to make this biased so let's see wink.gif

Nope...Supper's Ready. The be-all-end-all Prog tune. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 26 2011, 12:59 PM)

unsure.gif

The lamb (all of it) would be no.1 if it counted as one song tongue.gif

But I'm trying not to make this biased so let's see wink.gif

Nope...Supper's Ready. The be-all-end-all Prog tune. smile.gif

I'm pretty sure every one knows what will be number 1 unsure.gif

By the way, I didn't include the singles that didn't come on the albums, because i've unfortunately only heard them once...and Twilight Ale House is pretty good, but I can't remember the other one...or if there is another one eh.gif

Anyway...

(not the song)

Next up:

61.The Waiting Room

5.75/10

Alone, this is hardly even music. Just silly sounds. However, if you are able to "get" The Lamb and are absorbed in the surreality of it all, this becomes a monstrously freaky adventure. I like it because with headphones it is mesmerizing and scary, and the way it leads into Anyway is perfectly haunting. However, take this piece alone and it is just nonsense, and pretty uninspired towards the second half. It's a weird song to rank, but what the heck. Here it is. It could be a little better perhaps with a haunting piano melody thrown somewhere in there.

60.More Fool Me

5.75/10

Just noticed I spelled Gorilla wrong in my review of wot gorilla? unsure.gif

Anyway, this tune is nice and pretty, and we get Phil's nice vocals, which I suppose you love or hate for the most part. Nothing much happens in this, but it does it's job quite nicely on the album. Overall, it's pleasant and simple to listen to and that is not a bad thing at all, and with the decent lyrics and pastoral feel, this song provides some nice relaxation and a good deal of time to reflect. A nice ditty with nice playing and nice singing, that's all.

59.Your Own Special Way

6/10

It's pretty. A really nice key change here and there, but it's a pretty familiar key change that simply gets old after a while...the song itself is formulaic except for a few tiny parts with the classic Genesis element intact.

Besides that, nothing interesting happens with the instruments, and the song doesn't have much surreal atmosphere to it...overall just a kinda boring song...but it's similar to More Fool Me in terms of how pleasant it is to the ears and how simple it is...which is good, of course biggrin.gif just not as memorable as other Genesis stuff.

Unfortunatlely the lyrics are...cheese biggrin.gif

58.Lilywhite Lilith

6/10

I have to listen to The Lamb with headphones and an iPod...if I listen to it on CD this song ruins the experience. After the mysticism of Chamber, this simple hard-rocking riff kicks in after changing CDs and it doesn't contain that surreal quality of the previous disc. However, the transition is automatic, it flows quite well, and Lilywhite Lilith quickly becomes surreal once it repeats the riff in Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974. Overall, this song keeps the album consistent with that nice rehash, but alone it is a very weak and short song and the way it starts actually breaks the consistency...if that makes any sense wacko.gif if it started with something psychedelic and haunting to fit in after chamber, it would be a lot better. Perhaps it could've been merged with The Waiting Room for an epic piece and of course a few differences here and there to strengthen them.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 10:56 PM)
^^Really? I find Lilywhite Lilith the be one of my favorite parts of the Lamb! That riff! 1022.gif

confused13.gif

Awesome riff, but it is too short a song for that riff to do it any good...individually at least...I feel it could've been developed a lot better and with a more surreal approach wink.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 28 2011, 12:05 AM)
^^Really? I find Lilywhite Lilith the be one of my favorite parts of the Lamb! That riff! 1022.gif

confused13.gif

Awesome riff, but it is too short a song for that riff to do it any good...individually at least...I feel it could've been developed a lot better and with a more surreal approach wink.gif

You're using 'surreal' here almost as much as you did 'cheesy' in your Rush review. wink.gif

Lilywhite Lilith IMO is great for what it's supposed to be: a short rocker. 1022.gif

Just my opinion. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 28 2011, 12:05 AM)

confused13.gif

You're using 'surreal' here almost as much as you did 'cheesy' in your Rush review. wink.gif

Lilywhite Lilith IMO is great for what it's supposed to be: a short rocker. 1022.gif

I did warn I would use surreal like crazy here, as it is one of the factors for ranking wink.gif

And short rockers don't belong on the lamb, and it's a nice short rocker, but the are nicer short rockers in the world wink.gif

Aren't you like in kindergarten? Yeah, so I would keep my mouth shut if I were you wink.gif

Oh wait...

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jul 28 2011, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 27 2011, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jul 28 2011, 12:05 AM)

confused13.gif

I did warn I would use surreal like crazy here, as it is one of the factors for ranking wink.gif

And short rockers don't belong on the lamb, and it's a nice short rocker, but the are nicer short rockers in the world wink.gif

Aren't you like in kindergarten? Yeah, so I would keep my mouth shut if I were you wink.gif

Oh wait...

We're both in high school, so I don't know what you're talking about. wink.gif

And a short rocker is a good change of pace for the Lamb.

57.For Absent Friends

6.25/10

This is a really nice tune with some pretty nice lyrics and some very nice melodies...that is all. The reason why this song suffers so much is not because it's filler, or because it is too short...but rather because, while it does its job on the album...it is inferior to the similar harlequin. Harlequin has a more mature touch to it while this feels almost uninspired and immature.

There is not much to say about it...like I said, it's just "nice."

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 29 2011, 07:59 PM)
I'm going to bet that IF you had been old enough to see Genesis live, "Afterglow" would NOT be last on your list, no matter your current feelings about it.

Just a thought. wink.gif

I like the song and unfortunately will never see Genesis... sad.gif fists crying.gif I'll be permanently sad about that forever...

But I don't know, I guess it's just for me...thinking about it, I would probably put it in the fifties now but the stuff with Gabriel reminds me of something that I really like even if I don't know what it is laugh.gif so I like those more tongue.gif

And this list is secretly 100% opinion ph34r.gif

56.Visions of Angels

6.5/10

The songwriting here is fine but it's just not on par with other genesis songs off of this album, and the only thing memorable is the opening piano that, while pleasant, gets old quickly. It'd lyrically decent but they have done much better and much deeper. The song has a great atmosphere but the production is a little off in parts. And so e parts are too receptive, and the transitions are not...effective. A good song but not as effective as other genesis songs.