Power Windows: a review of several masterings

ak2112

OK fellow Rush freaks. I have now done this exercise with Moving Pictures and Signals, now comes Power Windows. I only have 3 versions of this album myself but have borrowed a friends Japanese version, so here are the competitors:

1. SHM-CD version

2. 97 remaster

3. Japanese 32.8P

4. Japanese 25.8P

I limited my comparison to three songs on the album because they are my 3 faves, and thus, I'm most familiar with them and all their wonderful nuances. The songs are:

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Middletown Dreams

My system consists of two Polk Audio LSi25 speakers with built in powered subwoofers, a NAD T763 reciever serving as my preamp, a Rotel RB1080 two channel amp and a Denon DVD2900 Universal player. All of this is routed through a Monster AVS2000 voltage stabilizer. All speaker cables and interconnects I use are from Audioquest.

I listened to each song in its entirety and then played the first 10 seconds of the song again before switching to another disc (dont ask me why I do this but it kind of helps me remember how a given versions sounds right before I switch discs). NOTE" in order to REALLY do this kind of thing justice, I should probably listen to all of every album and pick out which song on which disc songs the best on a given version but right now I'm being lazy and am going for all around sound quality. Here were my results:

1. Japanese 32.8P/Japanese 25.8P

3. SHM-CD

4. 97 remaster

The two Japanese versions were clearly the best of the 4 to my ears but they also sounded pretty much identical to each other. I put each disc through the software Exact Audio Copy" to compare each Japanese discs peak levels and, sure enough, they were identical so I think they're from the same mastering. At any rate, they both sounded warm and non-fatiguing at even extreme volumes. The SHM-CD was nice in its own way but it was about 3dB louder than the Japanese versions and thus a little more hard on the ears after a long listening session. The 97 remaster, like all the other remasters I've heard (save for Caress of Steel which is the one remaster that I do like) was about 5dB louder than the Japanese discs and about 2dB louder than the SHM-CD. HARSH, HARSH, HARSH!! Did the people who did these remasters ever hear of the phrase "dynamic range"? Geez!!!!! At any rate, the SHM isnt bad it just is a little too loud for my tastes and not as warm sounding as the two Japanese versions, plus the soundstage of the Japanese discs is wider and more enveloping on my system. However, the SHM is a pretty good sounding disc, much better than the remaster, and the original duplicated artwork is topnotch; a very nice collectable (if you can find them for a decent price that is since it is now long OOP).

I'm gld I didnt try to buy the 25.8P myself as it goes for crazy prices. For those that care, the 32.8P seems easier to find and cheaper on the wallet and is the EXACT same master as the 25.8P so save yourself some $$ and get it if you can. They are both gorgeous masters and blow the 97 remaster out of the water.

Anyway, short and sweet. For whatever reason, the Japanese sure know what they're doing when it comes to mastering albums with full dynamic range without brickwalling and also adding some nice artwork an liner notes (both the non SHM Japanese discs come with a 16 page booklet with English and Japanese lyrics). Get one if you can folks!!

Edited by ak2112

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jul 12 2011, 10:04 PM)
OK fellow Rush freaks. I have now done this exercise with Moving Pictures and Signals, now comes Power Windows. I only have 3 versions of this album myself but have borrowed a friends Japanese version, so here are the competitors:

1. SHM-CD version
2. 97 remaster
3. Japanese 32.8P
4. Japanese 25.8P

I limited my comparison to three songs on the album because they are my 3 faves, and thus, I'm most familiar with them and all their wonderful nuances. The songs are:

Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Middletown Dreams

My system consists of two Polk Audio LSi25 speakers with built in powered subwoofers, a NAD T763 reciever serving as my preamp, a Rotel RB1080 two channel amp and a Denon DVD2900 Universal player. All of this is routed through a Monster AVS2000 voltage stabilizer. All speaker cables and interconnects I use are from Audioquest.

I listened to each song in its entirety and then played the first 10 seconds of the song again before switching to another disc (dont ask me why I do this but it kind of helps me remember how a given versions sounds right before I switch discs). NOTE" in order to REALLY do this kind of thing justice, I should probably listen to all of every album and pick out which song on which disc songs the best on a given version but right now I'm being lazy and am going for all around sound quality. Here were my results:

3. SHM-CD
4. 97 remaster

The two Japanese versions were clearly the best of the 4 to my ears but they also sounded pretty much identical to each other. I put each disc through the software Exact Audio Copy" to compare each Japanese discs peak levels and, sure enough, they were identical so I think they're from the same mastering. At any rate, they both sounded warm and non-fatiguing at even extreme volumes. The SHM-CD was nice in its own way but it was about 3dB louder than the Japanese versions and thus a little more hard on the ears after a long listening session. The 97 remaster, like all the other remasters I've heard (save for Caress of Steel which is the one remaster that I do like) was about 5dB louder than the Japanese discs and about 2dB louder than the SHM-CD. HARSH, HARSH, HARSH!! Did the people who did these remasters ever hear of the phrase "dynamic range"? Geez!!!!! At any rate, the SHM isnt bad it just is a little too loud for my tastes and not as warm sounding as the two Japanese versions, plus the soundstage of the Japanese discs is wider and more enveloping on my system. However, the SHM is a pretty good sounding disc, much better than the remaster, and the original duplicated artwork is topnotch; a very nice collectable (if you can find them for a decent price that is since it is now long OOP).

I'm gld I didnt try to buy the 25.8P myself as it goes for crazy prices. For those that care, the 32.8P seems easier to find and cheaper on the wallet and is the EXACT same master as the 25.8P so save yourself some $$ and get it if you can. They are both gorgeous masters and blow the 97 remaster out of the water.

Anyway, short and sweet. For whatever reason, the Japanese sure know what they're doing when it comes to mastering albums with full dynamic range without brickwalling and also adding some nice artwork an liner notes (both the non SHM Japanese discs come with a 16 page booklet with English and Japanese lyrics). Get one if you can folks!!

Nice review of my number 2 favorite RUSH record. I have the SHM and the 97 RM but no japan issuue. How do you tell what version is what?

Again thanks for the review.

Robert

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Jul 22 2011, 11:16 PM)
Gee I'm shocked you rated the 97 remaster as the worst...NOT!!! rofl3.gif

You shouldnt be shocked....most of the 97 remasters sound like they were done by Helen Keller.

I have the US, Anthem and UK vinyl and the original atomic and 1997 remaster on disc.

I've never actually listened to the UK vinyl.

Of the ones I have listened to the US atomic comes out on top and the 1997 remaster comes out on the bottom.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jul 12 2011, 10:04 PM)

1. SHM-CD version
2. 97 remaster
3. Japanese 32.8P
4. Japanese 25.8P

Grand Designs
Manhattan Project
Middletown Dreams

3. SHM-CD
4. 97 remaster

Superb review of this different masterings of this amazing album!!! I don't have the Japanese versions, but I do have the SHM and '97 remasters, and I agree with you on those. Plus, the SHM packaging is amazing. Thanks for the review!

The first time I heard Power Windows was the most thrilling aural experience of my life.

I was invited to a listening party just before the album was released and it was played on a pair of electrostatic speakers...they might have been Vandersteens.

Anyway, to this day I remember how electrified I was and how unbelievable it sounded. It almost sounded real.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jul 25 2011, 04:28 PM)
the japan versions go for too much money on ebay. the shm isnt available anymore. so iam stuck with the 97 remaster..

I have the remaster too plus a vinyl copy. For me all of the mercury remasters sound fine. From my test the only area the SHM beat the remasters was in the packaging.

Edited by fordgt99