Portland show was AMAZING

Nate1647

What an AMAZING show. It was my first time with floor tickets, and WOW what a difference. 15th row felt like the front compared to my usual spots in the far depths of the 200 sections. Was able to run up to the front to try and catch a shirt but no luck, got a quick glimpse of what front row was like, then security made us head back to our seats. I went with my best friend (only person who i could find to go last minute, she "hates" rush, and was not looking forward to it.) She absolutely loved it, and commented on how great Geddy sounded (thats the main reason she didn't like them). She already asked me when the next tour is haha. Anyway, the boys played great as always, it was my 3rd time seeing them, and definitely the best show I'd been to. They really seemed to get off on side 2 of moving pictures, particularly vital signs, just tremendous playing all around. Then, about 10 minutes after leaving the park and ride, I notice a pair of motorcycles coming up behind us. Closer inspection revealed Neil's BMW, and a quick face check proved it to be the Professor himself. At a tiny traffic jam, I was able to make eye contact with him, played a quick air drum, and gave a thumbs up with a big smile. He gave a thumbs up back, a smile (I think, hard to tell through the helmet), and a wave as he started weaving his way through traffic, with Michael close behind. A great experience, and an amazing show!

I went with my best friend (only person who i could find to go last minute, she "hates" rush, and was not looking forward to it.) She absolutely loved it, and commented on how great Geddy sounded (thats the main reason she didn't like them). She already asked me when the next tour is haha.

Well done! applaudit.gif Another one 'converted". Glad you (and her) and such a great time. Thanks for the review!

Nice little story! Seems you've had a lot of fun.

I'm still trying to convince my girl friend. biggrin.gif

Of course it was a great show. One should expect no less!

The part about Neil leaving the show on his bike sounds odd to me. I've always heard him say that he rides TO the next show on the day of the show. I've never heard him say that leaves the venue on his bike after a show. I would think that after a show he'd be tired and want to get a meal and then some sleep before riding his bike.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jun 29 2011, 08:46 AM)
Of course it was a great show.  One should expect no less!

The part about Neil leaving the show on his bike sounds odd to me.  I've always heard him say that he rides TO the next show on the day of the show.  I've never heard him say that leaves the venue on his bike after a show.  I would think that after a show he'd be tired and want to get a meal and then some sleep before riding his bike.

That through me off at first too. They were also going SOUTH on I-5, which really didn't make sense. I'm 100% positive it was them though. My guess is maybe they had some scenic Eastern Oregon riding to get to today (the day after), so while the busses went north, they just took off right after the show going south back to portland or somewhere close to find a place to stay to take off for the morning. All the Northwest shows are so close together (no more than 5 hours driving pretty much) that this seemed like the most probable idea. But there was definitely no mistaking his face! It was pretty funny, when he came roaring up behind us at first (didn't see michael yet, and didn't bother looking at the bike) we were like "check out this asshole trying to get through the traffic jam.....woah woah woah wait a minute..." lol.

Edited by Nate1647

Last night is a night I will never forget the rest of my life. To be fortunate enough to be in the front row to see one of my all time favorite bands was an incredible experience and difficult to put into words. The Rush gods truly smiled upon me the morning of the musictoday presale. To be in the front row, center without paying a broker was a stroke of fortune akin to winning a lottery. I got kind of choked up at several points last night from the sheer joy of being in the front row, especially after getting to our seats and realizing that row A was indeed the very front (well, choked up only after screaming "YES" several times and fist pumping and jumping up & down LOL).

Al wasn't goofing quite as much as usual though still funning plenty (especially when he pretended to be smoking a doob during the ".....he gets high on you...." line in Tom Sawyer). He was very gracious to us in the front row throwing smiles and funny faces and so forth our way. There was one young boy in the front row for the first set and 2 more young boys joined him for the second set and all three received a LOT of attention from Al as well. I took plenty of pics and gotta say I suck as a photog though in my own defense it's hard to take a decent pic while rocking one's ass off. I noticed very few equipment glitches at all. I believe Al wanted his inner ear monitor turned up during the first song and Ged seemed to lose his for about 1/4 of a song (don't remember which one) during the 2nd set but overall the guys seemed content with how everything was functioning.

Ged was killing it as is nearly always the case and to my eyes and ears, Neil was killing it even more last night. Perhaps because I have never been so close I didn't realize just how hard he hits the drums, but good Lord he is a powerful guy. He cracked several smiles during the course of the evening and his solo was the best I have ever seen (my 9th show). Sound was nice as well with maybe the keyboards being just slightly too "up" in the mix. But again, being in front may have had something to do with that as well.

On to The Gorge on Saturday.............

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jun 29 2011, 08:10 AM)
Nice little story! Seems you've had a lot of fun.
I'm still trying to convince my girl friend. biggrin.gif

If she likes them then go for it. I brought mine to one of the VT shows. Yeah, she was not into it.

She's used to going to see bands with a lot of energy and crowds that are all fired up. We had floor seats and there were thousands of people standing around like statues like they usually do at Rush shows. Yeah, she was pretty damn bored.

Even in the 15th row, I could actually feel the power from the drums, it really is a different show down there, even if you aren't all the way at the front. I'm never going to settle for the 200's section again haha.

She was convinced that Rush was for nerds and that it was just nothing she could get into. She's liked a few songs like BU2B, Faithless, Workin them Angels, and Time Stand Still (how lucky that those were ALL in the setlist), but aside from that she couldn't stand them. I was worried that her lack of excitement was going to prevent her from having a good time, especially while waiting at the park and ride and all these rush "nerds" were telling her how much she was going to enjoy it. Then we got to our seats and she was a bit impressed by the venue. Video started and she started chuckling, then smiling by the end of it, Then the first E chord of spirit of radio hit and she was rocking out just as hard as anyone. She even yelled at me for texting during the chorus (just telling my buddy that bailed on me how great the seats were), and told me to clap along.

The more and more they play, their tours just get better and better. Not only for us fans, but for others who might have been "dragged" there one way or another. The videos, pyro, lights, and just raw energy and friendship of the band are at such high levels that I don't think anyone could leave a rush show and say "wish I wouldn't have gone."

Edited by Nate1647

Yeah Nate, great point about "the friendship of the band".

My gf was a Rush virgin until last night and even though her tastes run much more to softer pop and country, she is without a doubt a Rush convert now. She LOVED them and asked when they'll be back (told her "hopefully next year") so we can go again.

This was my first time seeing Rush, and it was incredible, as I was promised it would be by friends who know better. smile.gif Impressive given it's the end of a long tour! What a great set-up all the way around. Many thanks to all the hard working people -- on stage and behind the scenes -- who made it happen.