Is prog music?

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 25 2011, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 25 2011, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ May 25 2011, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 04:31 PM)
I supose is too hard to understand music made by real musicians. But, hey, there are a lot of real crap music that surely you like whit nobody asking your opinnion.

So go listen Lady Gaga and let us educated people listen educated music

You do realise this isn't an entirly serious thread, right? wink.gif

He's probably too "educated" to realize it!

I'm not stupid, of course i know this is not serious, and i understand the reasons why people don't like prog rock, but still this kind of comentarys bother me, beeing serious or not.

I don't get the point of pester people on Internet, making fun of serious things.

Isn't that the point of the internet? biggrin.gif trink39.gif

I tought this was a serious forum.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2011, 12:10 PM)
I supose is too hard to understand music made by real musicians. But, hey, there are a lot of real crap music that surely you like whit nobody asking your opinnion.

I'm not stupid, of course i know this is not serious, and i understand the reasons why people don't like prog rock, but still this kind of comentarys bother me, beeing serious or not.

I don't get the point of pester people on Internet, making fun of serious things.

It is, but we joke too biggrin.gif

Rush says we have to have balance notworthy.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 25 2011, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2011, 12:10 PM)

It is, but we joke too biggrin.gif

Rush says we have to have balance notworthy.gif

Well if Rush say so...

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 25 2011, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 24 2011, 09:59 PM)
As far as I can tell it's just a bunch of pretentious wankers with no idea of what a good song is. Discuss.

This reeks of trolling.

Is Prog music? Did you know Rush is considered Prog?

Rush shouldn't be considered prog, and this thread is clearly not serious.. schla03.gif

Prog is Jazz on drugs..

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 25 2011, 07:36 PM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

yeah, pretty much. So?

Jazz was jazz on drugs...see John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk...

Did you know Rush is considered Prog?

Rush are not prog, Rush are METAL!

1287.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 25 2011, 11:01 PM)

1287.gif

Rush is heavier than most prog bands, but i wouldn't say they are metal.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 26 2011, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 25 2011, 11:01 PM)

1287.gif

Rush is heavier than most prog bands, but i wouldn't say they are metal.

Rush are METAL! They may have prog influences but Rush have always been a METAL band!

1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 25 2011, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 25 2011, 08:36 PM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

no, it's not. if you want me to prove it, i will.

was just making a joke but now I'm curious to hear your proof! lol

QUOTE (Akron162 @ May 25 2011, 07:24 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 25 2011, 07:36 PM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

yeah, pretty much. So?

so that's my opinion on the matter in this public discussion forum ... confused13.gif

you people are weird lol

QUOTE (MMCXII @ May 26 2011, 01:15 AM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

So many of these sorts of things are based heavily on subjectivity, but to compare two genres like prog and jazz is just flat-out wrong. Prog is more closely linked with classical in terms of musical construction, style and technicality. While jazz is based on improvisation, musical communication and theme/variation forms, prog has much more of a "stick to the script" feel to it.

Jazz tunes are almost always transcribed in chord charts, whereas a prog rock epic will likely be scored in traditional staved sheet music, simply because a chord chart can't capture the immense technical nuance and complex musical lines and changes of prog.

In addition to this, there are even more fundamental stylistic definitions -- jazz is based, for the most part, on the swung 4/4 beat, while prog is based mostly on a straight 4/4 (and it is also more prone than jazz to odd, compound, and shifting time signatures). Most prog compositions deviate from traditional musical structures too, while jazz follows the head-solos-head form almost exclusively. Perhaps prog can be better compared with fusion, but even there, i would consider a large body of fusion work (Return to Forever, electric Herbie Hancock stuff, etc), to be just Prog Jazz.

Look at it whatever way you will, Prog is mostly a marriage of rock and classical, and while jazz elements may at times be introduced into the mix, there is no foundation of jazz in it, as your original statement implies.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 26 2011, 04:53 AM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

So many of these sorts of things are based heavily on subjectivity, but to compare two genres like prog and jazz is just flat-out wrong. Prog is more closely linked with classical in terms of musical construction, style and technicality. While jazz is based on improvisation, musical communication and theme/variation forms, prog has much more of a "stick to the script" feel to it.

Jazz tunes are almost always transcribed in chord charts, whereas a prog rock epic will likely be scored in traditional staved sheet music, simply because a chord chart can't capture the immense technical nuance and complex musical lines and changes of prog.

In addition to this, there are even more fundamental stylistic definitions -- jazz is based, for the most part, on the swung 4/4 beat, while prog is based mostly on a straight 4/4 (and it is also more prone than jazz to odd, compound, and shifting time signatures). Most prog compositions deviate from traditional musical structures too, while jazz follows the head-solos-head form almost exclusively. Perhaps prog can be better compared with fusion, but even there, i would consider a large body of fusion work (Return to Forever, electric Herbie Hancock stuff, etc), to be just Prog Jazz.

Look at it whatever way you will, Prog is mostly a marriage of rock and classical, and while jazz elements may at times be introduced into the mix, there is no foundation of jazz in it, as your original statement implies.

You didn't address the impact that drugs would have on jazz though.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 1 2011, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 26 2011, 04:53 AM)
Prog is Jazz on drugs..

You didn't address the impact that drugs would have on jazz though.

i think a better question would be what the influences of sobriety are on jazz music.