I love hip-hop

QUOTE (sfuentes @ May 11 2005, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 5 2005, 06:32 PM)
This isn't a thread to debate whether or not "rap is music" or not.

Discuss your favourite type of hip-hop, and yes Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine counts.

Have a listen to this indie band
http://www.thepeopleband.com/Music/California.mp3

The People

You love hip-hop?

Good for you, then.

As much as I do post whoring, yes.

I'm very picky when it comes to rap but there are some albums I do like...

RATM's debut album (saw them live at Lollapalooza 3..they RAWKED!)

Eminem's Marshall Mathers album (along with certain songs from his other albums)

Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 album (take away the cliche, typical gangsta rap lyrics; the music itself is awesome)

Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, To the 5 Boroughs albums and numerous other stuff through out their career

Tupac's All Eyez On Me album along with several tracks from other albums

NWA's Straight Outta Compton album and several other tunes (same deal with Dre a former NWAer himself...take away the cliche gangsta rap lyrics; I like the sounds itself)

Like other genres of music I tend to like the top guns of the music and tend to think there are way too many talentless followers and copiers of these trend setters....

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2005, 01:11 PM)
I'm very picky when it comes to rap but there are some albums I do like...

RATM's debut album (saw them live at Lollapalooza 3..they RAWKED!)

Eminem's Marshall Mathers album (along with certain songs from his other albums)

Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 album (take away the cliche, typical gangsta rap lyrics; the music itself is awesome)

Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, To the 5 Boroughs albums and numerous other stuff through out their career

Tupac's All Eyez On Me album along with several tracks from other albums

NWA's Straight Outta Compton album and several other tunes (same deal with Dre a former NWAer himself...take away the cliche gangsta rap lyrics; I like the sounds itself)

Like other genres of music I tend to like the top guns of the music and tend to think there are way too many talentless followers and copiers of these trend setters....

Good post!

So true - how would someone say "You like rock?" Then group a band like Matchbox 20 with Rush!

QUOTE (D-13 @ May 11 2005, 07:45 PM)
ahahaha....I love Swollen MEmbers...is that a bad thing? ph34r.gif

Saw them at one the SARS benefit shows. They put on a pretty good show.

They did that song that featured Nelly Retardo.

Anybody who likes rap/hip hop should check these out...

Black Star - It's Mos Def and Taleb Kwali (sp?), I think it was both of them's first album ever, and it's f***ing GREAT! Check out the song "Thieves in the Night"

Kanye West - Just got turned on to this guy. I can't agree with him about anything other than his great music... but the music is pretty damn great. Check out "We Major" or "Diamonds from Sierra Lione"

A Tribe Called Quest - Old hip hop group... very cool album called The Low End Theory. My favourite song is "Excursions".

And, of course...

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is a f***ing FANTASTIC and classic album... just go buy or download the whole thing. You won't regret it.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 23 2006, 05:01 PM)
Anybody who likes rap/hip hop should check these out...

Black Star - It's Mos Def and Taleb Kwali (sp?), I think it was both of them's first album ever, and it's f***ing GREAT! Check out the song "Thieves in the Night"

Kanye West - Just got turned on to this guy. I can't agree with him about anything other than his great music... but the music is pretty damn great. Check out "We Major" or "Diamonds from Sierra Lione"

A Tribe Called Quest - Old hip hop group... very cool album called The Low End Theory. My favourite song is "Excursions".

And, of course...

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is a f***ing FANTASTIC and classic album... just go buy or download the whole thing. You won't regret it.

goodpost.gif

I agree with everything here.

Agree with Kanye West's politcal views or not, but the man is a great rapper/producer. The songs MD mentioned are both from his second album, Late Registration. That album is amazing, has lots of great stuff. Gone is my personal favorite. His first album, College Dropout, is also really good. I saw him live in December with an orchestra, and that was a really fun show. I'm seeing him again in Sept when he headlines a festival called Bumbershoot that I'm going to in Seattle over Labor Day weekend.

A Tribe Called Quest is also reuniting for this same festival. The Low End Theory is my second-favorite hip-hop album ever (Paul's Boutique, from the Beasties, is first), and their other albums are also quite good, particularly "People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm" and "Midnight Marauders." One of the best and most influential rap groups ever, good intelligent lyrics and great music, very laid back and jazzy. Gonna be great to see them live.

Also in the same vein as ATCQ, MC Solaar is another favorite of mine. His lyrics are entirely in French, so I don't know what they are, but he has a great flow and his records sound awesome.

Will add more later.

never have , never will listen to hip hop. the only artist i think has some relevance is eminem , but like i said i dont do hip hop. now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Do RHCP count?

You mentioned RATM. I guess that is the only thing here I like. And I like it despite the vocals. I actually hate that part of it. I only listen to it because I like the guitar work.

I love hip hop. My favorite album of the year so far is a hip hop record...Ghostface's "Fishscale".

Every Outkast album is great. The early Wu-Tang stuff is classic.

Cage, El-P, Aesop Rock, and most of the artists on Def Jux are worth checking out if you're looking for hip hop with some originality.

http://store.definitivejux.net/store/index.htm

OK, here goes:

Ice-T/Body Count(Ice T's speed metal band)

Old Public Enemy

Eazy E

NWA

Ice Cube

Run DMC

The Fat Boys

Whodini

the first three Beastie Boys efforts

after that rap sucked!

Women rappers like Salt n Pepa, MC Lyre and Monie Love are a joke. Queen Latifah left rap for acting and other forms of music.

Rap from 1991 to now is a joke.

QUOTE (tick @ May 26 2006, 07:46 PM)
never have , never will listen to hip hop. the only artist i think has some relevance is eminem , but like i said i dont do hip hop. now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Eminem sounds like http://www.zewebanim.com/images/Looneytunes/porkypig.jpg on acid

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 28 2006, 07:26 PM)
the first three Beastie Boys efforts

What is it that makes these three Beasties albums better than the others? Paul's Boutique, their second album, is their undisputed masterpiece, but Licensed to Ill and Check Your Head are actually probably their two weakest albums. Ill Communication is sort of in the Check Your Head vein, but way more consistent and less uneven. Hello Nasty is also quite experimental and pushing the envelope. Their last album is sort of a return to straight rap, but it has some great songs. So I don't get that part about only the first 3 being good. Care to elaborate?

I just hate mainstream hip hop. Every single song, EVERY SINGLE DAMN SONG, by every artist in the last decade bhas been about money/sex/themselves. Hip hop is the only genre I can think of that hasnt pushed any musical grounds in 10 years, and still remains at the peak of popularity. What is so appealing about mediocrity?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ May 28 2006, 08:02 PM)
I just hate mainstream hip hop. Every single song, EVERY SINGLE DAMN SONG, by every artist in the last decade bhas been about money/sex/themselves. Hip hop is the only genre I can think of that hasnt pushed any musical grounds in 10 years, and still remains at the peak of popularity. What is so appealing about mediocrity?

I agree...mainstream rap is at an all-time low right now. The three most popular songs right now are probably:

Lil Jon - "Snap Yo Fingers"

which goes like this:

Snap yo fingers

You can do it all by yoself

Let me see you do it

E-40 - "Tell Me When to Go"

which goes like this:

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Go stupid, go, go, go

Go stupid, go, go, go

Now watch yo swang watch yo swang

Now watch yo swang watch yo swang

Shake dem dreads

Shake dem dreads

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Tell me when to go

Dem Franchize Boyz - "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It"

which goes like this:

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Lean wit it

Rock wit it

Really giving Neil Peart a run for his money, isn't it?

This is why you have to dig deeper than the mainstream to find the real stuff...this is true with pretty much any genre.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 28 2006, 11:14 PM)
I just hate mainstream hip hop.  Every single song, EVERY SINGLE DAMN SONG, by every artist in the last decade bhas been about money/sex/themselves. 

I agree...mainstream rap is at an all-time low right now. The three most popular songs right now are probably:

"in the hood"

i love the new ice cube!

give it up for the hood yes.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 28 2006, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 28 2006, 11:14 PM)
I just hate mainstream hip hop.  Every single song, EVERY SINGLE DAMN SONG, by every artist in the last decade bhas been about money/sex/themselves. 

"in the hood"

i love the new ice cube!

give it up for the hood yes.gif

What an original title.

Archived