Hartwall Arena,Helsinki 4.5. 2011

My 2 cents (shortly):

1.Good gig in generally (I mean setlist, lights, band's performance)

2. Mixing could have been bit better (maybe place is too "hard" for mixer?), for example Subdivisions (keys were "messy" in intro) and Vital Signs (Geddy's bass was hardly listenable some time).

Finnish audience was bit "lame" (at least in my section), mostly just sitting and clapping between songs wink.gif ... Only front row seemed to "rocked" but isn't that better than nobody at all wink.gif .

QUOTE (Xanadu2112 @ May 4 2011, 10:15 PM)
Finnish audience was bit "lame" (at least in my section), mostly just sitting and clapping between songs

Finnish audiences are lame!!!!

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 4 2011, 05:03 AM)
Lamelight has got first row tickets and it's her first rush concert 1022.gif

She did? Wow! Where has she been these days? I've missed her around the board.

Glad to hear the European shows are starting off well!

I went to the gig last night. It was ok, nothing better than that imo. I've been a Rush fan since 1977 and have seen some absolutely fantastic shows over the years, and it pains me to say that last night's show was probably the worst Rush gig I've seen. So I'm going to be a little critical in this post.

I saw the 2010 Las Vegas show and the sound there was absolutely spot on. I wish I could say the same about last night. The bass was a mess. The keyboards, vocals and guitar had poor definition and when all mixed together it was very difficult to hear what was going on. Maybe best described as a "mid-range mush". The guitar in particular needed to be brought higher into the mix as it seemed to be fighting a losing battle with a very boomy bass drum.

Geddy seems to be having a bit of a harder time singing the songs these days. But I can excuse this as some of these songs are difficult. Alex's 12 string sounded great and Neil's drum solo stands apart from anything I've ever heard from anyone else. Magical.

The sound on the intro movie was out of sync with the video. Looking at it again on YouTube, it seems to be out of sync at the start but was corrected as the movie progressed.

Now to the set. This is where I start to show my age I guess. For me, the golden age of Rush is 1980 and before. The first half of the set contains just two songs from this period: The Spirit of Radio and Freewill. It's not enough and at half time I felt disappointed. I sensed the same disappointment from people around me and this could explain the polite nature of the crowd. The second half of the set is very good and the crowd then really started to warm to the band.

The implication of a "Time Machine" tour is that the set would be dominated by older songs. There are 13 songs from 1980 and before and 11 songs from after 1980. There are no songs in the set from the Fly By Night and Caress of Steel albums. Some absolute classics are missing and I know I sound like an old codger, but I really believe that people want to see Rush playing Xanadu, The Trees, Natural Science etc etc, particularly when it's been over three years since they've last toured Europe.

For me, the first half of the set needs to have way more songs from before 1980 in it. I'll even go as far as to say that the first half set puts pressure on the second half set to recover the gig.

Edited by TheSphere

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 4 2011, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 4 2011, 05:03 AM)
Lamelight has got first row tickets and it's her first rush concert 1022.gif

She did? Wow! Where has she been these days? I've missed her around the board.

Glad to hear the European shows are starting off well!

I started messaging her about my story and we became pretty great friends and now she only messages me because she doesn't have time to post or something like that tongue.gif but i try to get her back on here tongue.gif

But we have more messages than posts ohmy.gif

Lately she's also been logging on anonymously, I don't know why biggrin.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

One other thing about the sound. I was also not that happy with the sound when I saw Rush at the Hartwall in 2007. It makes me consider the possibility that the venue is the issue.

I wonder if Rush toured here again, whether they'd consider using the Olympic Stadium during the summer.

In 2007, Genesis came to Helsinki and played the Olympic Stadium. Their sound is also complex, but it was absolutely crystal clear and very full. Each instrument could be clearly heard. Just a thought.

Yes, you could be right. If memory serves, Genesis only filled about two thirds of the Olympic Stadium.

What's your view on the acoustics of the Hartwall Areena? I have seen good concerts there, but maybe with artists that don't play as loud as Rush.

..maybe I was in another gig last night. Hockey and sports arenas are always difficult tasks to do soundwise but the sound imo better than 2007 (when I was high of spirits too..crying..on section 109), now on floor lever front, on stage right and middle. Compared to Roger Waters gig last week, it was quite different music (the sound there was just fantastic, was sitting and playing some airdrums on section 118), before that I saw Jon Anderson's acoustic gig on elsewhere..different places and music. Yesterday I just rocked (as carelians do..) and lived for these special 3,5 hours, don't have a habit to watch like living dead (few beverages helped too;) and wait for so "important" mistakes made by musicians. Yesterday was just special moment. Btw can't just imagine if they had played, Analog Kid..what would I had done..

"Sometimes louder the better..chuckles.."

heart.gif trink39.gif tnx Rush !!

I'm sure that where you were located you had a better chance of getting a good sound than I did. I was in section 313, so upper tier and quite a distance from the stage. However, I've been in this part of the arena for other concerts and had no problems.

The first set was really muddy where I was seated. It was really difficult to pick out the guitar at all, even more so on more synth oriented songs like Subdivisions.

The second set seemed to be a little better sound-wise, so I think some changes had been made during the interval, although the bass still sounded way too trebly for my taste. The one song I really had trouble hearing was Vital Signs. In that I couldn't really pick out the bass at all and the guitar sounded very weak.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the show. Rush has been THE most important band in my life, by quite some margin, so it was quite disappointing to me that the sound wasn't of the same fidelity as I've heard at previous concerts.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 5 2011, 05:44 AM)
I started messaging her about my story and we became pretty great friends and now she only messages me because she doesn't have time to post or something like that tongue.gif but i try to get her back on here tongue.gif
But we have more messages than posts ohmy.gif

Lately she's also been logging on anonymously, I don't know why biggrin.gif

Hmm, I hope nothing happened to make her feel unwelcome. Say hello for me when you talk with her next!

Well this being my first (sorry folks) Rush gig I completely disagree on the acoustics and sound. I was sitting in the sector 118 on 13th row and the sound to there was good enough for me. Everything was very listenable although I nowadays use the silicon earplugs to make it easier for me to listen and live the days after.

I upped couple of vidshots at Youtube and as you can see the stage was

nicely put up, lights were great and the backscreen was stunning. Can't wait for an official Blu-Ray to be published after this tour.

Yes-finnish crowd is a bit shy but they gave guys all cheers and applause they were able. The crowd was like 45+ years old and the seat-sectors are usually no-no-standing ...the wards always make us sit down.

This hall is not the best for concerts but Last weeks Roger waters was also very good in sound-wise as we sat one floor higher:(

Check the vidlinks I posted on a new thread to witness this appearance.

Peace,

skywalker