Hemispheres: Neil's most religious work?

SeamusWiles

I realize Hemispheres is supposed to be a sort of mythological story between Greek/Roman gods and all that... but it IS a sort of religious story that he was writing about, although it's pretty much a dead religion. It wouldn't have made much difference if he had written the song about Jesus/Satan instead of Apollo/Dionysis. So why now some 30+ years later is Neil so opposed to any type of religious spirituality? Where did this militant atheism come from? Does it stem from his personal tragedies in the late 90s?

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 02:21 PM)
I realize Hemispheres is supposed to be a sort of mythological story between Greek/Roman gods and all that... but it IS a sort of religious story that he was writing about, although it's pretty much a dead religion. It wouldn't have made much difference if he had written the song about Jesus/Satan instead of Apollo/Dionysis. So why now some 30+ years later is Neil so opposed to any type of religious spirituality? Where did this militant atheism come from? Does it stem from his personal tragedies in the late 90s?

Mythology is mythology no matter how you slice it and what names you fill in...

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 01:21 PM)

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 1 2011, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 01:21 PM)

facepalm.gif

x2

You know, this topic is quite funny. The song almost has nothing to do with religion. Superficially, it's about two gods fighting for control over people. Symbolically, the whole thing is a representation fo how the brain works.

Apollo and Dionysus represent the left and right hemispheres. Apollo represents the left hemisphere of the brain (which controls analytical thinking) and Dionysus represents the right (which controls creative thinking). Therefore, the people are actually in fact, the human body, obeying the part of the brain they have their loyalties with. The Greek gods were used as a front to convey the idea that inner peace requires a balance between logical and emotional thinking. Too much of either and you risk running yourself into the ground.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that this song is not religious in any way, shape, or form. Apollo and Dionysus are really just used for the ideas they represented in Greek mythology in order to convey Peart's message.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ May 1 2011, 03:51 PM)
You know, this topic is quite funny. The song almost has nothing to do with religion. Superficially, it's about two gods fighting for control over people. Symbolically, the whole thing is a representation fo how the brain works.

Apollo and Dionysus represent the left and right hemispheres. Apollo represents the left hemisphere of the brain (which controls analytical thinking) and Dionysus represents the right (which controls creative thinking). Therefore, the people are actually in fact, the human body, obeying the part of the brain they have their loyalties with. The Greek gods were used as a front to convey the idea that inner peace requires a balance between logical and emotional thinking. Too much of either and you risk running yourself into the ground.

I can tell you, without a doubt, that this song is not religious in any way, shape, or form. Apollo and Dionysus are really just used for the ideas they represented in Greek mythology in order to convey Peart's message.

goodpost.gif

I agree. common001.gif The thought of Hemispheres being about Religion never entered my mind.

If 3,000 years from now someone finds a Christian Bible, they'd be saying the same thing. But the truth is it WAS a religion for people at one time. Neil was writing about religion, whether he knew it or not. Neil is a closet believer.

To answer the thread title. NO.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 05:00 PM)

If 3,000 years from now someone finds a Christian Bible, they'd be saying the same thing. But the truth is it WAS a religion for people at one time. Neil was writing about religion, whether he knew it or not. Neil is a closet believer.

I never said Greek mythology was not a religion, I'm just saying the song isn't actually about mythology. If you think it's about mythology then you've only scratched the surface of what the song is about. The "religion" part of it is just a front for what's really going on. Have you noticed the cover art of Hemispheres? It's Apollo (guy in a suit) and Dionysus (naked guy) standing on two hemispheres of a brain. Have you looked at the back of the CD booklet? 3 brains.

Neil has his lack of beliefs and he is free to write songs that detail his beliefs. And before anyone brings is up, Neil is not forcing his views on Geddy or Alex, who have similar viewpoints.....

People raise a big fuss about Neil's lyrics being non-religious in nature, when there are thousands of bands out there doing the opposite... If you are offended by Neil's lyrics than you are clearly listening to the wrong band..

QUOTE (usb_connector @ May 1 2011, 04:07 PM)

I never said Greek mythology was not a religion, I'm just saying the song isn't actually about mythology. If you think it's about mythology then you've only scratched the surface of what the song is about. The "religion" part of it is just a front for what's really going on. Have you noticed the cover art of Hemispheres? It's Apollo (guy in a suit) and Dionysus (naked guy) standing on two hemispheres of a brain. Have you looked at the back of the CD booklet? 3 brains.

yeah, I get it... you can look at it either way. One side wants to party and have fun, and the other side wants to be serious and intellectual and logical. Ultimately we need a "god of balance" to balance each side out. Sounds like religion to me.

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 1 2011, 04:09 PM)
Neil has his lack of beliefs and he is free to write songs that detail his beliefs. And before anyone brings is up, Neil is not forcing his views on Geddy or Alex, who have similar viewpoints.....

People raise a big fuss about Neil's lyrics being non-religious in nature, when there are thousands of bands out there doing the opposite... If you are offended by Neil's lyrics than you are clearly listening to the wrong band..

If you're talking about his recent work, it goes far beyond "non-religious". He basically attacks anyone who believes differently than he does.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (usb_connector @ May 1 2011, 04:07 PM)

yeah, I get it... you can look at it either way. One side wants to party and have fun, and the other side wants to be serious and intellectual and logical. Ultimately we need a "god of balance" to balance each side out. Sounds like religion to me.

Unlike religion, neither side is portrayed in a negative light. Both gods are on Olympus (the highest mountain in Greece in mythology), and your brain is on the highest inner part of your body. See the parallels? There is more going in terms of the brain than there is with religion. In most religions, including Greek mythology, you have a clear definition of the good and evil gods. There is no definition of good and evil in this song. The people following Apollo only follow logic and never take pride in their achievements, which makes life boring and almost meaningless. Dionysus' followers on the other hand, take the time to enjoy life but are ultimately unprepared for the dangers of winter. Both sides wind up having equal peril. Meaningless existance, or existance cut short.

.....not gonna get into this on the main forum... not the place for it.... even in reference to Neal's lyrics.... I will still stay this... Neal's lyrics have had the same "Freethinking/ Non Religious " vibe for over 30 years... If they bother you that much, why are you still listening?

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 1 2011, 04:18 PM)
.....not gonna get into this on the main forum... not the place for it.... even in reference to Neal's lyrics.... I will still stay this... Neal's lyrics have had the same "Freethinking/ Non Religious " vibe for over 30 years... If they bother you that much, why are you still listening?

so I can come here and complain about it, why else??

Old Peart lyrics are about how his ideas are right. New Peart lyrics are about how people who have different ideas are wrong. Only one of those two groups isn't horribly obnoxious.

I was going to say more, but the thread got too stupid.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 03:21 PM)
Where did this militant atheism come from?

Neal Purt is a Militant Atheist?

Pumpy thought he was an Agnostic or maybe a Weak Atheist.....

Personally, Pumpy doesn't think he is militant in any way, shape or form.

He questions religion but he isn't waiting to bash theists over the head with a club.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 1 2011, 04:09 PM)
Neil has his lack of beliefs and he is free to write songs that detail his beliefs.  And before anyone brings is up, Neil is not forcing his views on Geddy or Alex, who have similar viewpoints.....

If you're talking about his recent work, it goes far beyond "non-religious". He basically attacks anyone who believes differently than he does.

So what? That's his perogative, and it's not just him you know? Geddy likes the lyrics. So why not bash him too? He's actually SINGING them.

That's what I thought. You CAN'T.

QUOTE (SeamusWiles @ May 1 2011, 03:46 PM)
yeah, and it was Hitler's perogative to hate Jews... I guess that's no big deal either.

Godwin's Law already? And the problem with Hitler wasn't racism; it was freaking genocide. Racism isn't the great evil that a lot of people bizarrely make it out to be; it's just a ridiculous form of stupidity. What people do is the problem.

So, yeah, it was totally Hitler's prerogative to hate Jews. Being wrong isn't a crime.

Archived