Obscure -----> Exasperation

PumpkinHead

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Apr 17 2011, 10:33 AM)
There was a time when RUSH had a secrecy about their music, career and private lives.

Today....

The opposite is true.

Pumpy feels RUSH is overexposed.

Pumpy misses the time when this band was obscure!

Your thoughts?

I know you didn't say this. But just because they are now "famous" does not mean their music isn't good.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 17 2011, 11:05 AM)
I know you didn't say this. But just because they are now "famous" does not mean their music isn't good.

You are correct, my friend.....

Pumpy didn't say this about their newer music.

Pumpy likes some of their recent material.

But as a whole, their recent material is weak compared to their earlier material.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Apr 17 2011, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 17 2011, 11:05 AM)

You are correct, my friend.....

Pumpy didn't say this about their newer music.

Pumpy likes some of their recent material.

But as a whole, their recent material is weak compared to their earlier material.

Maybe so, but I meant that the classics are still there.

Natural Science, 2112, Hemispheres, La Villa Strangiato, the Fountain, The Camera Eye...all masterpieces of prog rock, rock, and music in general...no matter what.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Apr 17 2011, 10:33 AM)
There was a time when RUSH had a secrecy about their music, career and private lives.

Today....

The opposite is true.

Pumpy feels RUSH is overexposed.

Pumpy misses the time when this band was obscure!

Your thoughts?

I mentioned this a while ago, how different things are now with them. Being in movies, licensing their songs out to shows like the Sopranos, the Adventureland movie, star on the walk of fame, documentary made about them, live albums after every tour it seems, appearing on talk shows, even playing the game guitar hero!

20 years ago we never saw them do anything outside of an interview here and there and on tour, now they are all over the place.

I think this is just because they realize how close to the end they are, so why not try to make as much money as they can to set their kids up and whatnot. If people are going to buy every single tour on DVD, then I guess they dont see the harm in just going all out as much as they can in their final years in this band. Hard to blame them.

Even if they were slightly obscure, we would still know a lot about them. In the age of information, we have everything we could ever want right at our finger tips. I obviously wasn't around for when Rush was still an obscure band, but that makes no difference. I think if they had remained obscure throughout their entire career, that would definitely take a huge amount of patience. The amount of exposure they get in the mass media is...moderate I believe; not too much, but also not too little. The joy I felt when I heard about BTLS was so overwhelming that I finally thought, "Someone really took the time to get the full story out there". I was glad about that beyond belief.

I think where they are now in terms of exposure to the mass media, touring, interviews, etc. is right where they should be. Not too much exposure but not too little either. That is how it should be.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Apr 17 2011, 04:03 PM)
Even if they were slightly obscure, we would still know a lot about them. In the age of information, we have everything we could ever want right at our finger tips. I obviously wasn't around for when Rush was still an obscure band, but that makes no difference. I think if they had remained obscure throughout their entire career, that would definitely take a huge amount of patience. The amount of exposure they get in the mass media is...moderate I believe; not too much, but also not too little. The joy I felt when I heard about BTLS was so overwhelming that I finally thought, "Someone really took the time to get the full story out there". I was glad about that beyond belief.

I think where they are now in terms of exposure to the mass media, touring, interviews, etc. is right where they should be. Not too much exposure but not too little either. That is how it should be.

I totally agree. I think if I had too little Rush news, I would go crazy. But then, there isn't too much news, either.

OI POLIS, GO POUND SALT AND SAND!!!!!!

Thankfully they still aren't very exposed at all over here - UK Way

The old days were better, knowing you were part of something nobody else knew about. It's such a shame that they're trying to big themselves up at a time when they are creatively spent. Ho-hum.

These days they're just prostituting themselves, castrating their human pride. They've been seduced by the money make machine, reduced to a muzak fake machine. It'll soon be the last goodbye. It's a rip-off.

I loved the documentary and everything, and enjoyed reading Roadshow but if all that information about their personal lives wasn't out there, it wouldn't really bother me. I know next to nothing about Porcupine Tree (my other favorite band) other than their music. I couldn't tell you a thing about any of the members' personal lives, and to be honest, I really don't care. JMO.

Archived