Caravan

Nate2112

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2011, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Feb 13 2011, 03:54 PM)
Lyrically, I'm not sure.  The "I can't stop thinking big" part is too repetitive and frankly I'm not even sure what the song's really about.

^

This.

The chorus on Far Cry is something everyone can relate to. I really don't get the whole "In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big" thing. I mean, I understand what it means, but it doesn't move me or seem particularly significant or meaningful to me.

You obviously don't think big....

Ah, just messing tongue.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2011, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Feb 13 2011, 03:54 PM)
Lyrically, I'm not sure.  The "I can't stop thinking big" part is too repetitive and frankly I'm not even sure what the song's really about.

^

This.

The chorus on Far Cry is something everyone can relate to. I really don't get the whole "In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big" thing. I mean, I understand what it means, but it doesn't move me or seem particularly significant or meaningful to me.

the song rocks... it doesn't need a deep, meaningful message

QUOTE (jnoble @ Feb 13 2011, 05:54 PM)
I like the way it sounds...the production is great and the touch of echo on the guitar is much better than the straight forward overdistortion that he's been using forever at this point. Geddy's bass sounds big and upfront without being overbearing.

Lyrically, I'm not sure. The "I can't stop thinking big" part is too repetitive and frankly I'm not even sure what the song's really about. And Geddy is still doing the "cram as many words into a verse with no thought to melody" thing

I think I would like this song better as an instrumental.

sometimes i think it's not geddy's fault with singing the lyrics. he gets the lyrics from neil and has to try and make them work. it can't be an easy task singing some of neils lyrics, but i agree with the cramming part. either that or they're just pumping from a dry well.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 13 2011, 06:05 PM)
i've had a very hard time getting into this song. there are certain parts that are good but everything doesn't gel together as a whole for me. that guitar appeggio section around "i can't stop thinking big" just doesn't sound good to me.

Thats the best part!!!!! 1022.gif yes.gif fing.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Feb 13 2011, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 13 2011, 06:05 PM)
i've had a very hard time getting into this song.  there are certain parts that are good but everything doesn't gel together as a whole for me.  that guitar appeggio section around "i can't stop thinking big" just doesn't sound good to me.

Thats the best part!!!!! 1022.gif yes.gif fing.gif

i know i have a few loose marbles fing.gif but i also know that i don't like caravan much and certain parts make my ears bleed. tongue.gif i'm glad you enjoy it though.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 13 2011, 05:05 PM)
i've had a very hard time getting into this song. there are certain parts that are good but everything doesn't gel together as a whole for me. that guitar appeggio section around "i can't stop thinking big" just doesn't sound good to me.

I agree........vocally the chorus is weak. To me that's part of the reason why the song sounds so thrown together. That vocal line could've been so much more interesting and made the chorus more powerful....that and the jam part in the middle. That part is pretty cool, but to me it doesn't fit in the context of the song.

for the life of me,... I can never understand why people going to see a new show from a band they have likely seen many times would complain about hearing something NEW LIVE they have never heard before in that context, but instead would rather hear something they have heard again likely *multiple* times.

I don't get it. You might as well stay in the parking lots tailgating and listen to ESL 72 times.

Ive always like BU2B, good strong hard rocking edge to it, very modern. Dont like Caravan at all. Ive listened to it probably a hundred times trying to get it to grow on me but the melodies are just so bland. I cant find anything to like in that song.

I think Caravan is not only heavy and all, but it just flat out rips...great changes and cuts, awesome lead, what the hell is there not to like about it?

i'm just not feeling it with the two new ones. i would love to hear them make music that is more stripped down and less layering. also less singing is needed. geddy is much too repetitive and must allow for the music to flow. like in the old days you could hear all of the instruments. they aren't going to change though as it's too late in their career and they're set their ways.

its always interesting to read such completely different perceptions musically. I agree they layer more now, but I hear everything fine on this. love the vocal lines actually...

Archived