A new category on here? Rush audiophile recordings

ak2112

Hello all,

I have posted several threads on here about my thoughts on various Rush masterings (MFSL's, SHM-CD's, etc). I go to other sites to discuss audiphile recordings but they cover a whole range of bands and genres. I was wondering if there is any interest on here for starting a new topic category dealing only with Rush albums and the best sounding versions, from vinyl to CD's. There are so many different masterings of their albums (West German/Canadian/US Atomics, Japanese 25.8P, MFSL, SHM-CD) that I'm sure we could spend a lot of time discussing them and I'm sure others have their favorite versions of Rush albums.

What do you think? Is there enough interest to warrant this? Let me know of your interest.

I have both 2112 and Permanent Waves on "Audiophile" vinyl. But, I have not owned a turntable and stereo system worth a damn since I bought them, so I can't be a very good judge. confused13.gif

QUOTE (nealpert @ Feb 10 2011, 05:55 AM)
Which version of Vapor Trails do you prefer?
z7shysterical.gif

But seriously i think discussions like this should be left for bands that make "audiophile" recordings in the first place.

Weighing in on the VT...the remastered/remixed versions of One Little Victory and Earthshine on the Retrospective III disc are amazing compared to the original release. I am a musician, and also very much into audio engineering/producing. From my standpoint, those remixes are WORLDS beyond the original release. 1022.gif It's almost likes listening to two new songs.

QUOTE (nealpert @ Feb 10 2011, 05:55 AM)
Which version of Vapor Trails do you prefer?
z7shysterical.gif

But seriously i think discussions like this should be left for bands that make "audiophile" recordings in the first place.

Well I always thought that Rush put out pretty good quality recordings and they do have 4 albums on MFSL so at least they allow some audiophile labels to release their material. I hope the 2011 remasters and the 5.1 releases are available as hybrid SACD or better yet DVD-Audio (not likely but sure would be nice!).

Definitely interested! I posted a topic earlier this week on the different masters of their mid-late 80s CDs. There are a lot of views on different masterings on Steve Hoffman's site, but, as you said, forums like that covers many bands. With some of the Japanese masterings like 25.8, 32.8, etc., that are so pricey, it would be great to hear from folks who have them to see how much better, if at all, they are than the atomics, SHM, or remasters.

I listed to a US atomic this week of GUP and the remaster. The atomic was flatter whereas the remaster jumped out of the speakers, and the prominence of the instruments was slightly different sounding. I like both actually. I heed to play them along with the SHM to see if I like one better than the others.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd enjoy a single thread on this topic that would be easy to find for those interested.

I haven't taken the SHM plunge, but I've got most of the rest (US and some Canadian) including a few Japanese and European releases.

In general, I prefer all of the Mobile Fidelity releases where applicable,

the 1997 Mercury/Polygram/Universal /Vivendi remasters from Rush to Hemispheres and the Original West-German Atomics from Permanent Waves through A Show Of Hands.

I prefer the Atlantic Remasters for Presto and Roll the Bones and the originals for Counterparts and Test for Echo.

I prefer the remix of One Little Victory but the original over the remix of Earthshine.

I also prefer the original audio instead of the audio on the Replay DVDs.

Did I miss anything?

QUOTE (ytserush @ Feb 11 2011, 10:19 PM)
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd enjoy a single thread on this topic that would be easy to find for those interested.

And how about this be that thread? biggrin.gif

In general, I prefer the W German Atomics over anything else. When compared to the 1997 remasters, it's clear which one wins. I have only rips of these Atomics, however, and am still in search of them on physical CD.

A forum for audiophile CDs could work, but I'm thinking the forum would also cover comparissons between the remasters as well. I think it would be appropriate seeing as how this forum will likely be cluttered with threads comparing the new remixes to older ones once they come out.

Archived