Easy solution for the setlist.

rusher

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 7 2011, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (rusher @ Feb 7 2011, 04:45 PM)
Spinning Wheel

But what if it keeps landing on Faithless?? sad.gif

when the song is played you take it off the wheel. i'm willing to take a chance.

More of a rhetorical question, but stating the obvious I guess can't hurt.

QUOTE (rusher @ Feb 7 2011, 04:45 PM)
Spinning Wheel

But what if it keeps landing on Faithless?? sad.gif

Now, I'm not an "audiophile" by any means, but I don't think you can compare Rush to most other bands in terms of their live shows.

Unlike an Elvis Costello or a Wilco show (which someone alluded to, not too long ago), Rush doesn't simply take the stage and play their songs with minimal effects. There is a lot of lighting, effects, background projections, etc. that enhance the experience (which, in my opinion, is why Rush has such a stellar reputation for their live shows) that they simply cannot "swap out songs" whenever they feel like it. Most musician friends that I know will attest that no matter good of a musician you are, Rush's music is so complex that it takes a lot of rehearsal to get it right. So, unlike a Bruce Springsteen, the guys in Rush can't really look at each other in the middle of a set and say "Let's break into Cygnus!" and play it off the cuff if they haven't spent a considerable amount of time working on it.

I've seen Wilco.

I've seen Springsteen. Both are awesome. But the style of shows compared to a Rush gig is definitely apples and oranges.

Clem

Just so everyone knows, my original post was meant to be on the humorous side. I guess it didn't come across like that. eh.gif

I realize that having fans pick songs on the spot for Rush to perform is not realistic.

Sorry that the post elicited more serious replies than anticipated.

QUOTE (rusher @ Feb 8 2011, 06:08 PM)
Just so everyone knows, my original post was meant to be on the humorous side. I guess it didn't come across like that.  eh.gif 

I realize that having fans pick songs on the spot for Rush to perform is not realistic.

Don't worry, I got the joke in your post. I'm curious to know what songs they would have in their wheel if that really happened

trink39.gif

That would be the coolest thing ever. Maybe not for every song in the setlist, but would be very cool to have a spot in the show where 3 songs are chosen via the wheel.

I couldn't care less about the lasers, lighting, pyrotechnics, videos, etc...

QUOTE (rusher @ Feb 8 2011, 11:08 AM)
Just so everyone knows, my original post was meant to be on the humorous side. I guess it didn't come across like that. eh.gif

Well, Rusher, YOU may have been joking. There are OTHERS however..... Yes, it is always cool when artists do this.

Billy Joel did a similar thing many years ago. He had the audience "vote" on a choice between 2 songs. Whichever got the "loudest" response, he played.

I can see how this could backfire, though. Can you imagine if Geddy asked the audience "Would you guys rather hear 'Jacob's Ladder' or 'The Trees'?" and "The Trees" won?? Not a lot of happy campers would be found here.

Clem

QUOTE (clem @ Feb 8 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (rusher @ Feb 8 2011, 11:08 AM)
Just so everyone knows, my original post was meant to be on the humorous side. I guess it didn't come across like that.  eh.gif 

Well, Rusher, YOU may have been joking. There are OTHERS however..... Yes, it is always cool when artists do this.

Billy Joel did a similar thing many years ago. He had the audience "vote" on a choice between 2 songs. Whichever got the "loudest" response, he played.

I can see how this could backfire, though. Can you imagine if Geddy asked the audience "Would you guys rather hear 'Jacob's Ladder' or 'The Trees'?" and "The Trees" won?? Not a lot of happy campers would be found here.

Clem

If he asked that, The Trees would most definitely win. I bet you 10% of your audience would even know what Jacob's Ladder is.

Maybe next time Rush should do like Iron Maiden did last year, and ONLY play songs from their past three or four albums. ohmy.gif Can you imagine the unholy armageddon of complaining we'd have if they only played songs from TFE or later? ohmy.gif angry.gif tongue.gif

Actually, I'm guessing that next time they'll play a large portion of Clockwork Angels (maybe even the entire album) and I'm sure that will be bad enough for some folks. tongue.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Feb 8 2011, 06:57 PM)
Maybe next time Rush should do like Iron Maiden did last year, and ONLY play songs from their past three or four albums. ohmy.gif Can you imagine the unholy armageddon of complaining we'd have if they only played songs from TFE or later? ohmy.gif angry.gif tongue.gif

Actually, I'm guessing that next time they'll play a large portion of Clockwork Angels (maybe even the entire album) and I'm sure that will be bad enough for some folks. tongue.gif

Those Maiden shows were AWESOME! Just saying...

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Feb 8 2011, 07:59 PM)
Maybe next time Rush should do like Iron Maiden did last year, and ONLY play songs from their past three or four albums. ohmy.gif  Can you imagine the unholy armageddon of complaining we'd have if they only played songs from TFE or later?  ohmy.gif  angry.gif  tongue.gif

Those Maiden shows will never happen again either ! I saw them at Bank Atlantic a few years back and it was basically the "Powerslave: Live after Death" tour in 1985. It was amazing. Ft Lauderdale got the last live performance of Rime of the Ancient Mariner also !

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Feb 8 2011, 07:59 PM)
Maybe next time Rush should do like Iron Maiden did last year, and ONLY play songs from their past three or four albums. ohmy.gif  Can you imagine the unholy armageddon of complaining we'd have if they only played songs from TFE or later?  ohmy.gif  angry.gif  tongue.gif

I heard that the great body of fans thought that it was shite...