My Novel

Mr. Not

Writing a full-length novel is something I've ever even attempted before, so I plan on writing one for my senior project. This novel will be loosely based on a short story that I wrote as a 5 year old. I also plan on making this a long lasting thread, kind of like Deckiller's rush song ranking thread. I know these ongoing threads aren't very popular here, but I'm giving this one a shot anyways.

In this thread, I will be sharing chapters from my novel as I write it. I'll post a few chapters at a time so I don't spam this thread to the top so often. The chapters I post here will be in their unrevised states, but I'm posting all this here for your entertainment. That means I don't want you to correct any of the content in which I post - I'll do that on my own. Comments on the other hand, are what I want, and I won't mind criticism.

So now for today's first installment: "John the Juinuse". Yep, "Juinuse". I'm going to post the whole short story I'm basing this novel off of here (unedited!) to start this thread off. Keep in mind that I'm basing my novel on this short story loosely! If I were to go by even half of this story, it would be ridiculous. There are robotic cats, friendly dragons, vampires, monsters, ghosts, and more. So without further ado, "John the Juinuse":

Chapter 1

Once ther was a boy named john a boy jeinus he was a kid he new how to do or make enything like his elctrick cat one day he went on a edvencher. go to the gas stashin he rode his cat ther. when they got ther they got some gas for some people. after they got gas they went down spocky lane ther was bats ther his meowd like it ufrad but he was not afrad a bit.

Wall he was facking the bats out all of the suden a vnpieer popt up.. help said john.. he and his pet cat ran away.. this is really bad john thot i can't beat u vanpiere i will never survive he thout aigen... I don't want to get eating by a vanpiar me neather said his cat... "tell me why you said that said john" "caes you did john" said his pet cat.

Wall they were tocking the vanpiere coght them good "opssys" run said john but the vanpiere was holded his shirt ohow the vapiere was abot to bite him! intil the cat bit his butt ooow you werd cat you bit my butt you bot junuis john i will eat you for diner

"o no you don't" him and his cat ran out the cave "see u vanper" said john "we will meet agein john" said the vanpeire.. "never be like that when you grow up ok pet cat ok he said back.

Chapter 2

They went down the west of the western "this is cool" said john. his cat ugreid. this then the westurn gohst tockt to john "wanto fight me" he said "of cour's shure i mean ill beat you" "yah right" "cowboy john is ready you now" "ok ok i'll fiht you now." tackle him he said to his cat he takled the gohst.

Wall they were fighting a man said here have my gun thankyou m.r. he shot the gohst with his guns bulls eye john said.

John won the fiht three cheers for john and the man that gave him the gun hip hip huray hip hip huray hip hip huray.. then him and his cat went own dragon forest "i wonder were the dragon is by the way it is called dragon forest"

They sop in the forest: owls, bears, tigers, frog's, annd dragon john got on the dragon "wipy" he went flying over the world but then he rellelised he left his cat

go back to dragon forest dragon. they went back to get the cat john had a smile on his ace he was happyer then ever more then life well no that happy but

Chapter 3

Then John got his cat "did you miss me"? he asked yes it felt like a year said his cat same with me even thoe it was one day.

It is so weird all of the suden bark bark waht was that bark bark a pupy hi pupy said john hellow he said back.

Chapter 4

"roll over" said John "o.k." he rolled over "want to come with me and my cat" "shure" he said.

Then waht are we waiting for lets get on the dragon the went flying over the ochen weee a wave made them cool

"warent that a huge wave we this passed giy's" said john they noded! the dragon landed at asecret firt the dragon had to go home john and his puppy and his cat said by this then a moster popt up

Chapter 5

Johns puppy barlet "wow boy" said john "waht is it boy?" "amonster" John turd urond "ahhh" he said he went in the secret fort and got the fire dushaer and sprad the monster

The monster got sockete.

Chapter 6

Three chers for John hip hip huray hip hip huray hip hip huray o my gosh its 12 oclokc its diner time i gotta get home quik

He ran to the air port the plain took off john jumpt on he went over the sea.

He landed at P.S. vicktim lane.

He ran in the houes and had diner

THE END

Edited by Kenneth

I hope your spelling has gotten better...

lol - j/k. I know you were young.

I have tried writing a novel and failed miserably. I have a good friend that is on his 5th novel. It is a massive undertaking.

I'm certainly not one to give advice, having been a failed novel writer myself. But, I would keep it simple on your first novel. There is no sense in trying to be Tom Clancy with 180 characters. Unless you are superb at it, it will most likely confuse the reader. Story first - always. Good luck!

UGH!!! This all reminds of what a loserish louse I've grown to be...I have the outlines to THREE NOW, three very original psych-thriller/horror stories that I've done rabsorutely nothing with, other than lay out the basic chapter outlines.

The one thing that gives me some solace, and some future hope ta boot, is the fact that many of the best and most accomplished authors speak about going through a period of great stress/anxiety prior to overcoming that disabling fear, and eventually getting the whole project underway.

Plenty of talk about rituals and superstitious, OCD-like behaviour attached to overcoming any and all of the initial stumbling blocks to beginning a piece. The fact that the good ones, the succesful ones have experienced similar reactions to gettting started makes the whole thing seem more 'doable'.

Is this the final version of the novel? confused13.gif

I'm gonna read it right now, and I understand it may not be finished yet.

But a novel is like 100,000 words, at least 50,000 for a novella. What you've written, in terms of length, accounts for maybe a third of chapter one of a 15 chapter novel, considering all chapters are similar in length.

Friend, I do not wish to discourage you, but you do need plenty of revising and editing.

And watch the use of semicolons. You used three or four in the opening paragraph, and that's overkill.

Edited: Sorry, i did not read your first post about corrections. Disregard.

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

It's good man, certainly not the worst I've read. The best thing you can do(if you have time) is to READ READ READ. The more books I read, the better I write, I feel. Just picking up little tips on the way you use language and freshen up paragraphs without using the same phrases all the time(I'm not saying you have here, its merely one of my vices).

Last November, after going from the age of 6 to 22, and probably 10-20 attempts at writing a novel, I took part in National Novel Writing Month. A competition that takes place every November where you can talk to other writers, update your wordcount and work towards completing a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. The prize? The satisfaction of doing it.

I started about 7 days late, and on the 30th November I hit 51,000. It really is such a great feeling, and a true learning experience. I butchered the end because I ended up caring about the characters too much to go with my original ending(yeah, really). Though it features some of my favourite writing and will serve as a stepping stone to a future novel that will hopefully be very good.

Just keep on trucking man! It's worth it in the end. Out of interest, this being a music forum and all, the book was very heavily based around Pink Floyd, the main character becoming a huge fan and travelling to a gig in Canada. The gig chapter was painstakingly researched and I even had a bootleg recording for reference, which sounds dull but it was the most fun! I might post that chapter if anyone is interested.

Enough of me, keep on with it man, there's definitely potential there without a doubt