Allentown PA show...

liddybuck01

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 1 2010, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 1 2010, 10:13 AM)
Yeah i headbanged, danced, and sang to every song. Didnt even see people singing along! So weird. I went nuts during vital signs, and bu2b was so f***ing heavy, love it.

I took a few pics on my phone. The shitty thing was that there were two super tall dudes in the section over, so i had to bob as weave around them.

I thought BU2B was the high point of the night. It sounded amazing!

We got there really early and ate at that little barbque place just outside of the gate. Right after we got our drinks, they started the sound check. We got to listen to a bit of several songs including Faithless, which I was really looking forward to hearing live.

yeah, heard the sound check as well smile.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Sep 1 2010, 10:42 AM)
I myself tend to just stare in a mesmerized kind of state just taking in all the awesomeness.  Just because people don't want to go ape-shit the whole show doesn't mean they aren't into it or they don't "properly" appreciate the band or something.  People aren't all the same!  You'd think a Rush forum would appreciate that much!

goodpost.gif

I agree.

I enjoy concerts. I am usually transfixed by the performance of almost any band, let alone Rush. I want to enjoy all the many subtleties that are part of a Rush show.

I'm no dancer and I very rarely air-drum or air-guitar. I sing sometimes (but not so much this last show confused13.gif ). The music can still "move" you, even though your body doesn't convey it outwardly. Don't knock me for it -- I'm as big of a Rush fan as anybody! wink.gif

However anybody else enjoys it is up to them; I'm OK with that. But when I see Rush, I AM FOCUSED! I don't want to miss a thing!

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 1 2010, 10:23 AM)
Man why is RUSH playing state fairs, it's the slippery slope downwards once you start playing those...

Nothing wrong with playing State Fairs... a venue does not make a band. Talent and heart & soul make a band and I applaud RUSH for taking their show anywhere they wanna take it... especially, off the beaten path!

Perhaps, it is a change of scene on the road for the band and crew. I'm pretty sure that if RUSH didn't want to play the Fairs, they wouldn't have included those stops on their tour. Do you really think that RUSH is anywhere close to slipping downwards in their ability to choose their bookings?

Besides, maybe the guys were craving some of the good food that can be had at state fairs food and it was Sausage Time. tongue.gif

Sorry guys. I mostly meant the people in front of me who sat most of the time. The people right in front of me disappeared in the middle of the first set for about 20 minutes and then left completely after MP, after he finished blowing his pot smoke in my face. They had tees and and had bought a bunch of merch and everything. Just seems weird to me. But most of the shows i got to are metal shows, where everyone stands the whole time.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 1 2010, 11:41 AM)
Sorry guys. I mostly meant the people in front of me who sat most of the time. The people right in front of me disappeared in the middle of the first set for about 20 minutes and then left completely after MP, after he finished blowing his pot smoke in my face. They had tees and and had bought a bunch of merch and everything. Just seems weird to me. But most of the shows i got to are metal shows, where everyone stands the whole time.

Absolutely. There was a lot of pot there last night, too. The row behind me smelled like a Reggea concert. At one point near the end of the first set, Alex sniffed a couple times and waved his finger back and forth as if saying, "naughty, naughty."

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 1 2010, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (rushfan676 @ Aug 31 2010, 11:03 PM)
I was really the only person rocking out where I was standing too. I was dead center right in front of the soundboard.

Here's my favorite picture I took tonight, Alex looks like he is thinking how the hell do I work this thing:

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/redsoxguy676/P1000461.jpg

I'll upload the rest of my photo's tomorrow, so you guys can have a look, I think a lot of them turned out alright.

This is actually a pretty rare photo, taken during "Time Stand Still." Alex always plays a Gibson for Time Stand Still on this tour but there was a problem with Gibson so the roadie handed him the Tele. It sounded different, too.

I didn't know there was any rarity to it! I'm glad I took this picture.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:08 AM)
People tend to be more emotionally reserved in Puritanical Pennsylvania as compared to shows I attend in other regions and countries.

The "t-section" of Pennsylvania tends to be more conservative, whereas the outlying sides are anything but (and trending more and more that way in recent years). I doubt even the t-section would qualify as puritanical, unless you're actually visiting with the Amish or something. wink.gif And I guess with the area being as little as an hour drive to Philly or New York, maybe its concert-goers are among some of the more spoiled of Americans.

Of course they're going to be going wild in South America -- how often to they see Rush or any performers of that caliber? I'm sure they get wild in parts of Europe, though come to think of it, that Frankfurt crowd didn't seem all that riled up (then again, after watching the Rio crowd, it's hard for anything to faze you).

Inside I was a wellspring of emotions ... but looking at me from the outside, you wouldn't have known it. People are kinda like that.

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

We were in section F, row 7 and we jammed out all night. We had great Rush fans on both sides of us as well, especially to our right. We had a genuine, certified air-drummer.

Plus my brother caught one of the shirts Lifeson threw to the crowd.

And, of course, the show was amazing!

The only major glitch I saw was the guitar switch before Time Stand Still. I thought Alex was going to kill the tech.

I really want to know why so many worry about how others enjoy/react/relate to concerts? Instead of worrying and writing about the actions of others, concentrate on yourself. If I want to sit for a bit - I will - and if that bothers you I have a nice place you can kiss.

2.gif

The shirt my brother caught has Lifeson's alter-ego Slobovich on the front and on the back it says "The last time someone grabbed my sausage..."

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:54 PM)
We were in section F, row 7 and we jammed out all night. We had great Rush fans on both sides of us as well, especially to our right. We had a genuine, certified air-drummer.

The only major glitch I saw was the guitar switch before Time Stand Still. I thought Alex was going to kill the tech.

Depending on where you sat you mightve saw me in sec. G rocking out. Saw some people in F rocking, maybe it was you!

As far as any mishaps, my hubby said alex flubbed a few notes, especially the beginning of Freewill. Of course us normal people dont notice that stuff lol

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Sep 1 2010, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:54 PM)
We were in section F, row 7 and we jammed out all night.  We had great Rush fans on both sides of us as well, especially to our right.  We had a genuine, certified air-drummer. 

The only major glitch I saw was the guitar switch before Time Stand Still.  I thought Alex was going to kill the tech.

Depending on where you sat you mightve saw me in sec. G rocking out. Saw some people in F rocking, maybe it was you!

As far as any mishaps, my hubby said alex flubbed a few notes, especially the beginning of Freewill. Of course us normal people dont notice that stuff lol

He played the entire initial descending scale at the beginning of Free will a fret down. Even guitar gods can screwup now and again.

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Sep 1 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Sep 1 2010, 11:08 AM)
People tend to be more emotionally reserved in Puritanical Pennsylvania as compared to shows I attend in other regions and countries.

The "t-section" of Pennsylvania tends to be more conservative, whereas the outlying sides are anything but (and trending more and more that way in recent years). I doubt even the t-section would qualify as puritanical, unless you're actually visiting with the Amish or something. wink.gif And I guess with the area being as little as an hour drive to Philly or New York, maybe its concert-goers are among some of the more spoiled of Americans.

Of course they're going to be going wild in South America -- how often to they see Rush or any performers of that caliber? I'm sure they get wild in parts of Europe, though come to think of it, that Frankfurt crowd didn't seem all that riled up (then again, after watching the Rio crowd, it's hard for anything to faze you).

Inside I was a wellspring of emotions ... but looking at me from the outside, you wouldn't have known it. People are kinda like that.

'"t-section" of Pennsylvania'? sorry, I don't know what this means. I am located within 2 hours or so of Philly, NYC, D.C. and Baltimore... is this the t-section?

I am surrounded by and live each day along side Amish and Mennonites neighbors and business owners, so maybe my perceptions are influenced by such.

Point taken about people responding to and enjoying live music in different manners... I agree. It is just my observation that folks in this area of the country tend to be more reserved when enjoying a show. So, i guess, people are kinda like that smile.gif

I suppose most bands and professional musicians understand this and are not discouraged or misunderstand the audiences' appreciation level.

And, I, too, was in the Grandstand and watched the closing film before departing amidst the deluge.

I don't get the being-expected-to-sit thing @ a rock show.

The guy behind me made it clear to me that he expected me to remain seated because he brought his 9-year old son. I cooperated (for the most part) out of respect to a fellow fan, but I felt a bit put off as I pointed out that he had sat his son on the aisle and son could see around this paying adult...

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Sep 1 2010, 06:19 PM)
I don't get the being-expected-to-sit thing @ a rock show.

The guy behind me made it clear to me that he expected me to remain seated because he brought his 9-year old son. I cooperated (for the most part) out of respect to a fellow fan, but I felt a bit put off as I pointed out that he had sat his son on the aisle and son could see around this paying adult...

I would have told that guy to either put his kid up on his shoulders or pound it up his ass. Either way I wouldn't have been sitting down. My legs and back still hurt but I don't give a shit.

I liked the line about the audience being staid like they were watching a symphony. That is more the vibe I got. And he seemed to paint a more balanced picture with regards to the crowd than some are.

His writing on the music itself seems a little stilted. At times it feels like he's simply groping for something halfways critical to say in order to impart an air of objectivity. But he's perhaps a bit more fair and even-handed then other reviewers who, like him, obviously aren't stalwart fans but who then go off into their "I'm too awesome for this kind of thing" subjectivizing. I did wince at him using the word "pretentious" ... more people really should get around to learning what that word really means at some point.

I think that a few points were completely fair (i.e., as opposed to some negative reviews, I could at least see how another human being could think that). The tempo change-up in Closer to the Heart ... that didn't really work for me. But I still kind of admired them for trying to give it yet another spin.

"Stick it Out" ... after enjoying the heaviness of the performance, initially, it did wear on me a little by the end in sounding like a wall of noise. This would have to be the one song in the whole show I found myself questioning as a setlist choice to be honest.

Geddy amazes me, though I do think it's quite possible that he tries a little too hard (!) in the way he labors over some of the lyrics a little too much (almost in an ... operatic vein). Particularly some of lyrics that benefit from the more succinct phrasing of the original recordings. I had some examples in mind but I've already forgotten (probably because the show was so damn awesome ... yeah that's probably it!)

@summersky -- In PA the demographics typically breakdown so that if you draw a basic t-shape over the state, the areas inside the 'T' (the center of the state and the northern end) are more conservative. That's all I meant. The state as a whole seems to be trending more the other way. And as for most conservatives I know (or anyone else for that matter), God or Jesus hardly make a difference in their daily lives, though most of them would probably categorize themselves as believers (I don't buy into any of the 'official' divinity mythologies on offer, but then I don't turn around in other moments and pretend like they make any difference in my daily life either). But if you're constantly exposed to those particular subcultures I can see how you'd feel differently.

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

Thought the show was great. Wasn't too thrilled with the seating layout on the floor. When looking at a seating chart, we were section G and row 2. In reality, with the sections angled, we had and entire section pretty much in front of us. So needless to say that was a let down, but the sound was very clear. Had a speaker bank right above us. Sound wasn't muddy at all. Was there with two really good friend of mine. We're huge fans but didn't do much "rockin' out". Main reason is that all three of us play music together (guitar, bass and drums) and we actually stand there looking at how they're playing they're parts and it blows us away. We have attempted R30 as a band and have gotten through it once or twice but to play it and then see how these guys have mastered their craft is just mind blowing.

QUOTE (32Ford @ Sep 2 2010, 09:16 AM)
Thought the show was great. Wasn't too thrilled with the seating layout on the floor. When looking at a seating chart, we were section G and row 2. In reality, with the sections angled, we had and entire section pretty much in front of us. So needless to say that was a let down, but the sound was very clear. Had a speaker bank right above us. Sound wasn't muddy at all. Was there with two really good friend of mine. We're huge fans but didn't do much "rockin' out". Main reason is that all three of us play music together (guitar, bass and drums) and we actually stand there looking at how they're playing they're parts and it blows us away. We have attempted R30 as a band and have gotten through it once or twice but to play it and then see how these guys have mastered their craft is just mind blowing.

My husband is a musician, as well, so thats exactly what he does, watches the show. Meanwhile i sing and dance and bang my head. I embarass him usually lol