The Social Network

Mara

I just saw the trailer for this last night, and it looks, at least on the surface, like it might be interesting, even to someone who finds GenY stuff to be sort of irritating at times.

Thoughts? I'd never heard of it until last night (because yes, I live under a rock in terms of pop culture awareness).

My only fear is that the movie WILL express an opinion on facebook, whether it tries to or not, and even though it seems like they are trying to present the film as purely historical/factual, there will be bias on part of the writers and director. My guess is that it will be negative, based on some of the clips in the promos and whatnot ("your best friend is suing you", etc...)

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 26 2010, 10:35 AM)
My only fear is that the movie WILL express an opinion on facebook, whether it tries to or not, and even though it seems like they are trying to present the film as purely historical/factual, there will be bias on part of the writers and director. My guess is that it will be negative, based on some of the clips in the promos and whatnot ("your best friend is suing you", etc...)

I agree; I hope it would be more objective than not but I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 26 2010, 10:35 AM)
My only fear is that the movie WILL express an opinion on facebook, whether it tries to or not, and even though it seems like they are trying to present the film as purely historical/factual, there will be bias on part of the writers and director.  My guess is that it will be negative, based on some of the clips in the promos and whatnot ("your best friend is suing you", etc...)

I agree; I hope it would be more objective than not but I don't see that happening.

It's a movie movie not a documentary.

That's the trailer.

I love David Fincher's movies (Fight Club, Memento) I heard he's taking more of a dark, psychological view of the story of the founding of Facebook. As it did start as a networking site for Harvard University back int he day. Then other schools starting doing the same thing, then companies got on it and now everyone and their cat has a FB these days.

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails and Atticus Ross scored the soundtrack for the film... I've heard some of the soundtrack already... it's pretty good shit! yes.gif

I def wanna see it. I think it may be a very good movie that has encapsulated this day and age. Maybe it will make us think about a few things...

Go see it October 1st in theatres everywhere!

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Sep 4 2010, 04:29 PM)
I love David Fincher's movies (Fight Club, Memento)

Memento is a Chris Nolan film.

As for TSN... I like Fincher, but the trailer doesn't really interest me that much. I'll still probably see it just because Fincher hasn't failed us so far. Well, except for maybe Panic Room.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 7 2010, 08:58 AM)

As for TSN... I like Fincher, but the trailer doesn't really interest me that much. I'll still probably see it just because Fincher hasn't failed us so far. Well, except for maybe Panic Room.

I liked "Panic Room" a lot, and so did the critics. I wouldn't call it a failure. I think "Alien 3" Was Fincher's only misstep, and I'll give him a pass on that one because it was his first feature film.

As someone who is a fan of Fincher and NOT a fan of Facebook, I think this film will be interesting.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2010, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 7 2010, 08:58 AM)

I liked "Panic Room" a lot, and so did the critics. I wouldn't call it a failure. I think "Alien 3" Was Fincher's only misstep, and I'll give him a pass on that one because it was his first feature film.

As someone who is a fan of Fincher and NOT a fan of Facebook, I think this film will be interesting.

I liked Panic Room alright, it was just by far my least favourite of his films... until you reminded me just now that he did Alien 3. I think I'll give him a pass for the same reason you listed laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Sep 7 2010, 06:58 AM)

oops.gif

Temporary brain fart on my part.

laugh.gif