Nice Interview with Neil (In French)

Supersyl

Neil Peart has arrived in Chicago, where Rush takes place that day. As usual, drummer travel from town to town in its own way on the back of his motorcycle. The one who can see them in action tonight on the Plains, just down from his bike when we pass a call.

Speak with Neil Peart, this is not trivial. First, because the artist is articulated and has ideas to share, but also because it was scarce in the media landscape in recent years. After her daughter died in a car accident in 1997, followed by that of his wife the following year, a victim of cancer, it certainly did not want to rehash this difficult time responding to intrusive questions . But time has taken its toll. Rush has found its stride and the magic so well that Peart has decided to tell us about his approach to the drums, turned Time Machine, where the album Moving Pictures is presented in full, and the next disc training Ontario, called Clockwork Angels.

Q. This year, Rush was introduced to the Pantheon of writers and composers, you've got your star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the excellent documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage, which traces your journey began. Does the past take up too much space when it comes time to launch a new project?

A I must say that I have not even seen the documentary, because the past does not interest me. Having been honored Canadian Hall of Fame was something good, it was a great honor and it was for work that we do, but otherwise, I'm more interested in the future. I am very excited by the work that happens at this time. [...] For me, this tour is designed to prepare the future of the group. I am proud of what we did in the past, but I'm more excited by what's coming.

Q You are preparing an album, Clockwork Angels, and at the same time you go back in Moving Pictures. Does immersion in an old project gives you new ideas?

A I find it interesting because the concept album is not as important as it once was, but it is to celebrate an album that was a milestone for us and for our fans. I was heartened to see Steely Dan and Todd Rundgren who did tours and resumed their so-called classic albums. [...] But there is also two new songs we recorded this summer and will be part of an album that is under construction. We did not feel the need to spend a full year in the studio, isolated work. We have pieces we love, we toured and is called Time Machine, because it represents the past, present and future.

Q What will be the theme of Clockwork Angels?

A The people will see during the show: our scenery and projections lead us into a new world, fictitious, which may come from Jules Verne. I call it "the future as it could have been," according to how we could design that was futuristic 150 years ago. We are in a universe that operates with steam engines, mechanical clocks, the alchemy is a form of alternative world. [...] The new album will feature a story in which the two pieces that are played during this tour are the first two tracks. I compare it to Broadway, where the first song sets the table and where the second is a sort of monologue of the main character. However, we chose those songs because they were the two who were most accomplished, not because it was the first two. We have five pieces written so far.

Q By plunging into Moving Pictures, have you wondered how you were able to do a particular title?

R The big question for us was The Camera Eye. I thought we had never played live. I wrote this and I was proved otherwise: the fans have shown me that he had interpreted in 1980! Ok, we played it 30 years ago, but never again thereafter. We were concerned that it is long and we would probably have some things differently. As for other pieces of the disc, they had already appeared in previous tours, because they work well and people like them.

Q Have you been tempted to review the arrangements of your older titles?

R It remains faithful to the originals. That we spend a lot of time on the arrangements. I put so much energy on the smallest details of my scores battery that I am happy to make them as they were designed. A play like Tom Sawyer is terribly demanding for a drummer and I'm happy just to be able to do it correctly! Perhaps I changed a single element in this song in 30 years because it is a piece where I take my breath before I interpret it! It fills me at my age and after all these years, I can still play with all my pieces that were part of me in their twenties. I have to stay in shape to play well.

Q How has the dynamic changed in Rush over 35 years? In the film Beyond The Stage Lighted, Alex and Geddy were joking saying that you were still the new group as they played for seven years when you've joined, in 1974 ...

A That's funny because the other evening at a concert, someone holding a poster which was written "We love the new guy!" Yes, of course, the dynamics have changed, but I would say that things are placed. As in any relationship, the first times are turbulent, we need to know to adjust and make concessions. Now we have a superrelation and lots of fun together. During the show, you will see small movies that we shot and you will see there is a lot of humor - have fun! The level of respect between us is something acquired, it can be treated and we treat everyone's ideas with respect. [...] We are fighting for what is really worth.

Q After all these years, you continue to improve your drumming in various ways. Are you an eternal student?

A Yes. In 2008, I studied with the great jazz drummer Peter Erskine. During five months, I exercised every day with only a hi-hat and a metronome. I worked on exercises and ways to keep pace. During the same year, I worked with a big band for a tribute to Buddy Rich and all that moves in a direction unpredictable. Same when I re-recorded the theme to Hockey Night in Canada. All this also led me from what I could do two years earlier. It is a sort of quest to improve and evolve. [...] I do not feel that I became the drummer that I want to be, but I know that I approach and it is satisfactory.

You want to go?

WHO: Rush

WHEN: July 15, at 19.45

ACCESS: Passes

"

Q. This year, Rush was introduced to the Pantheon of writers and composers, you've got your star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the excellent documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage, which traces your journey began. Does the past take up too much space when it comes time to launch a new project?

A I must say that I have not even seen the documentary, because the past does not interest me. Having been honored Canadian Hall of Fame was something good, it was a great honor and it was for work that we do, but otherwise, I'm more interested in the future. I am very excited by the work that happens at this time. [...] For me, this tour is designed to prepare the future of the group. I am proud of what we did in the past, but I'm more excited by what's coming."

Guess he doesn't give a crap about the Hollywood star.

"Q What will be the theme of Clockwork Angels?

A The people will see during the show: our scenery and projections lead us into a new world, fictitious, which may come from Jules Verne. I call it "the future as it could have been," according to how we could design that was futuristic 150 years ago. We are in a universe that operates with steam engines, mechanical clocks, the alchemy is a form of alternative world. [...] The new album will feature a story in which the two pieces that are played during this tour are the first two tracks. I compare it to Broadway, where the first song sets the table and where the second is a sort of monologue of the main character. However, we chose those songs because they were the two who were most accomplished, not because it was the first two. We have five pieces written so far."

There is nothing original about this.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 15 2010, 10:43 PM)
Thanks Killer Instinct!  trink39.gif

Interesting  to read that Caravan and BU2B are not necessarily the first two songs on Clockwork Angels, but the two they thought were the best accomplished at the time.

They are the first 2 songs. Geddy has said it, and Neil was just saying they didnt chose to play these 2 songs live because they were the first 2, but because they were the most complete, but he is essentially saying they are the first 2.

It even says in the artwork for the single, parts 1 and 2 of CA.

Edited by trenken