Pictures from Ottawa Bluesfest

ziggee

I have posted a number if pictures from the Ottawa Bluesfest. There are some decent ones mixed in the lot of them. I started the show pretty far out from the stage and then worked my way forward to about 5 or 6 rows from the front to the left side of the stage, Alex's side. So the pictures of Geddy are not as good as Alex. I think there are a number of nice ones in there. There are some really blurry ones in there as well but I elected to just put em all up. Anyway... enjoy. And as always... they where awesome... but I dont even have to say that now do I? smile.gif

Ottawa Blues Fest 11 July 2010

The better pictures start in around page 3 or so...

I used a nikon D300. The lens is the trick to it though. It was an 70 - 200 mm F2.8 VR lens. One day I will be able to aford the newer less and the D700, but it would seem... not this year :/

I used a nikon D300. The lens is the trick to it though. It was an 70 - 200 mm F2.8 VR lens. One day I will be able to aford the newer less and the D700, but it would seem... not this year :/

No one bothered me, that said... I was told by those up front that if security saw people up close with more professional looking cameras they where rushing in and grabbing them and pulling them away. I figured I would just get up-frontish take a bunch of shots and then move back to the back...which is exactly what I did and no one said boo.

Personally I don't get it. I wonder if shutter bugs really detract from merchandising sales or what ever different peoples problems are with Cameras etc. I contribute a ton of my photos to wikipedia etc. To me it is all free marketing. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits allows cameras into his shows, as long as you don't bring in a tripod or what ever and detract from others listening experience. He even allows people to record the shows. Frowns on people with video cameras these days because they where getting annoying and getting in other peoples way.

Fantastic new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ziggee @ Jul 13 2010, 08:52 AM)
Personally I don't get it. I wonder if shutter bugs really detract from merchandising sales or what ever different peoples problems are with Cameras etc. I contribute a ton of my photos to wikipedia etc. To me it is all free marketing. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits allows cameras into his shows, as long as you don't bring in a tripod or what ever and detract from others listening experience. He even allows people to record the shows. Frowns on people with video cameras these days because they where getting annoying and getting in other peoples way.

@ Ziggee...

When I saw them at Scotia Bank Place in 2007, security was running all over the floor after people with cameras. I saw none of that at both shows at the Bell Center... So I don't know if it's worse in Ottawa for some reason (Security company?)..... I honestly don't think anyone will become rich selling Rush pics behind their back.... I have a Flickr page, and I got to photograph so many great musicians (Jazz Fest, FrancoFolies, Tremblant Blues Fest, etc,--and some of them have contacted me because they loved the pics, some even became friends--it's all free publicity for them and they have access to all my pics) it bugs me that I can't get decent shots (with a decent camera--and it doesn't even have one of those big white professional Canon lenses!) of my favorite band of the last 30 years.......

I have trouble thinking Geddy (And even more ALEX!!!) freaks out at the thought of him being photographed in a live setting..... (Maybe it's Neil, or his security goon)

Great pics. I noticed this time around Rush.com is posting pics of shows pretty quickly and you can save the image. Maybe they are becoming a little more open to fans taking pics, which would be awesome for me with great seats at Red Rocks.

Lucky some of them ended up ok. The day before I was shooting with a tripod and forgot to turn the vibration reduction back on. And this would be by I dont take pictures for a living. I always forget something :/