neils latest solo

tel

so wadya think?... only seen it on u choob but i thought it was awesome and i suspect im in a minority when i say keeping the big band ending is a good idea,likewise the electronic pads.

time to lose the silly hat perhaps?

Im bored of he big band thing. Since they have this whole steampunk vibe on stage, I was hoping he would go with something different, something more raw sounding with some interesting rhythms that fit with steampunk.

That group Stomp is a great example of a percussive group that knows a lot about steampunk style rhythms.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 04:33 AM)
Im bored of he big band thing. Since they have this whole steampunk vibe on stage, I was hoping he would go with something different, something more raw sounding with some interesting rhythms that fit with steampunk.

That group Stomp is a great example of a percussive group that knows a lot about steampunk style rhythms.

steampunk,yes ofcourse confused13.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jul 5 2010, 07:34 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 04:33 AM)

steampunk,yes ofcourse confused13.gif

Thats what their entire stage setup is inspired by.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

The name of this sculpture is clockwork universe, ironic right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Questaco...verse_wiki2.jpg

Would seem to make more sense if neil's solo reflected all this, rather than just doing more big band stuff he's been doing for 10 years now.

There is a style of rhythms and sounds associated with steampunk.

Edited by trenken

I enjoyed the drum solo the first few times I heard Exit...Stage Left back in the early 80s. By the time that I saw them live, I was over it. I think that it would be great to ditch it. I know I am in the minority, but I get bored listening to it. In fact, I don't think that I have ever seen it performed on any of the DVDs I have.

At least the big band ending is different this time around - different enough to make it fresh again I think.

I enjoyed it at the KC show. And I've listened to the boot a few times and still enjoy it. In fact, the last part of it is the best in this particular case.

The earlier bits feel forced to me. When he cuts loose and plays with the big band samples, he is playing much better in my opinion.

Yup, Freddy Gruber and Big band needs to go bye bye.

I much preferred Neil before he met that man.

Not to say its good or bad he did, but I just prefer Neils playing pre-Gruber.

I also prefer Neils older recorded Kit sound better as well. Digital has killed Neils drum kit sound.

Way to much compression going on.

Neils drum tone and depth dynamics have suffered for far to long because of over compression.

I wish the days of having a punch in the face drum roll would come back.

HW

Edited by High Water

Gruber, I don't imagine, has much to do with Neil's drum solo. Gruber taught him a lot about motion in regards to the kit... how to play more musically and efficiently... not what exactly to play.

Neil's been tinkering with the big band idea since the 80's, you can hear it on A Show of Hands. Between the traditional grip snare section and the electronically produced horn sound at the end. This is the direction Neil's always wanted to go.

Gruber taught some technique, not what to play.

QUOTE (Outtalove @ Jul 5 2010, 10:52 AM)
Wasn't aware Steampunk had anything to do with drums or rhythm...? or am I alone in this?

You are not alone. I wasn't sure how to comment.

QUOTE (High Water @ Jul 5 2010, 12:38 PM)
Yup, Freddy Gruber and Big band needs to go bye bye.

I much preferred Neil before he met that man.
Not to say its good or bad he did, but I just prefer Neils playing pre-Gruber.

I also prefer Neils older recorded Kit sound better as well. Digital has killed Neils drum kit sound.

Way to much compression going on.

Neils drum tone and depth dynamics have suffered for far to long because of over compression.

I wish the days of having a punch in the face drum roll would come back.

HW

I agree. Now if he were able to incorporate Freddy Krueger into his drum solo, that might be interesting. Drum heads might get expensive...

Yeah I found it odd that Neil didn't use the electronic side of the kit for even ONE song. Only used it in the drum solo and that section was the momentum killer of the solo. Really time to get rid of that whole middle eastern Roland sample part and maybe even the electronic kit? Just keep your few pads above the floor toms for electric drums. I appreciate him trying to vary it up with different sections but he needs to think more aggression. Those slow atmospheric parts are ok but kill the momentum. Kinda like Faithless did in the first set. LOL And I agree. I think the big band thing was cool at first but now it has overstayed it's welcome. Time for something new. How cool would it be for Neil to end his solo with a major explosion of pyro? He hits the last note and BAAAMMMM biggest explosion of the night and he walks off. I kinda like it:)

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 5 2010, 11:22 AM)
Yeah I found it odd that Neil didn't use the electronic side of the kit for even ONE song. Only used it in the drum solo and that section was the momentum killer of the solo. Really time to get rid of that whole middle eastern Roland sample part and maybe even the electronic kit? Just keep your few pads above the floor toms for electric drums. I appreciate him trying to vary it up with different sections but he needs to think more aggression. Those slow atmospheric parts are ok but kill the momentum. Kinda like Faithless did in the first set. LOL And I agree. I think the big band thing was cool at first but now it has overstayed it's welcome. Time for something new. How cool would it be for Neil to end his solo with a major explosion of pyro? He hits the last note and BAAAMMMM biggest explosion of the night and he walks off. I kinda like it:)

Interesting comments on this thread.

When we were waiting for the start of the show of course everything on the stage was covered by black sheets.

Well it was windy that night in New Mexico and part of the sheet blew off of Neil's giant floor tom. I couldn't see any of the electronic pads from my angle so I thought to myself that "Wow, Neil dumped all the electronic stuff and is simply going "organic" or retro for the whole "Time Machine" thing.

Of course once the show started I was wrong and the electronic percussion was there.

I think Neil didn't use the "pad set" because it was a "Retro" Feel to the set list. I mean he used to play "Witch Hunt" on the electronic side, but on this tour he doesn't.

I seriously thought he was going to have his kit set up like at the SARS Concert.

Real drums only!!!

Would be nice if he brought back all of the REAL percussion.

Come to think about it, maybe Neil also thought it was WEAK when he played "The Trees" on the electronic side on the second leg of the S&A Tour.

Hence, he wanted to play everything on the organic side of the kit on this tour.

I thought "The Trees" was horrible on the S&A Tour.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 5 2010, 12:55 PM)
Gruber, I don't imagine, has much to do with Neil's drum solo. Gruber taught him a lot about motion in regards to the kit... how to play more musically and efficiently... not what exactly to play.

Neil's been tinkering with the big band idea since the 80's, you can hear it on A Show of Hands. Between the traditional grip snare section and the electronically produced horn sound at the end. This is the direction Neil's always wanted to go.

Gruber taught some technique, not what to play.

Your 100% correct.

Gruber's influence is not in what Neils plays stylistically, but I think he IS somewhat influential in how Neil plays it.

Instead of in your face, you get nuances and light touches.

You get a more varied and sculpted approach instead of smash that cymbal or pound that tom "here".

Taste in Drum technique is highly subjective. If your a Jazzy kind of drummer you may love Neils approach. If your more hit em hard, often and technical, you may not like it.

For me, I like the hit em hard and technical approach.

(Mind you I'm talking specifically about his solos..not the bands music) I find Neil plays as good as ever full band wise.

For me, if Neil varied his ESL solo on this tour, it would be exactly what the Dr ordered.

Not sure he can play it like that anymore though........

My biggest complaint above all is the mixing process.

I find Neils kit is not longer in your face. Hasn't been for a while. However that has nothing to do with his Kit or playing style.

The new recording equipment just plain sucks ass for a band like RUSH.

I would love to hear them record the rest of this album, using the older Moving Pictures equipment and studio.

Dynamics and tonal range are whats missing.

Some "space" in songs would help too.

HW

QUOTE (Outtalove @ Jul 5 2010, 10:52 AM)
Wasn't aware Steampunk had anything to do with drums or rhythm...? or am I alone in this?

Sure does. You may not like this, I dont like the song itself but listen to the drums and the style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXIYdFGsQ

Cant tell me Neil couldnt turn this into an amazing drum solo, and to me it would just fit the look they were going for with the stage much better.

In a way steampunk inspired music has an eastern feel to it.