Tips for surviving a GA Rush show?

limeloaf

My fine maiden and I are going to Rush in Quebec City this summer and I don't know whether to be excited or scared to death about being at a GA Rush show. I want to have the best seats possible, while at the same time being able to grab a Molson and take a leak.

Any tips on how to survive the experience?

Have not had to do a GA show in awhile.But I work concerts where we have GA pit passes tickets which is a area in front of the stage for about 200 people.As far as I can tell the people who get there first usually are the ones who stay right there for the whole concert Its the move you lose mentality.My advice hang in the back have your beers and leak breaks and if you feel like it try and move up as the concert goes along

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ May 4 2010, 10:48 PM)
Have not had to do a GA show in awhile.But I work concerts where we have GA pit passes tickets which is a area in front of the stage for about 200 people.As far as I can tell the people who get there first usually are the ones who stay right there for the whole concert Its the move you lose mentality.My advice hang in the back have your beers and leak breaks and if you feel like it try and move up as the concert goes along

Snowdog is right...If you wanna be up close, get in there early and you never leave, which can make for a really trying yet up close and personal experience. Otherwise you can be farther back and you have a larger degree of mobility and freedom, but no up close and personal.

weigh the options.

For an STP gen. admin show, we were there 4-5 hours early. We hung outside the arena in line. We brought a deck of cards, made some friends in line. When the gates opened, we (orderly) got our tickets punched -- and then RAN to the front of the stage. We were there all night.

You must choose between drinking beer/peeing and being up front. Forgo the booze, I say -- get up there ASAP! Once you leave your front row "seat", you will never get it back, no matter how many say they will save it for you.

GA shows kinda suck, esp. for bands that have rowdier crowds.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ May 5 2010, 05:25 AM)
For an STP gen. admin show, we were there 4-5 hours early. We hung outside the arena in line. We brought a deck of cards, made some friends in line. When the gates opened, we (orderly) got our tickets punched -- and then RAN to the front of the stage. We were there all night.

You must choose between drinking beer/peeing and being up front. Forgo the booze, I say -- get up there ASAP! Once you leave your front row "seat", you will never get it back, no matter how many say they will save it for you.

GA shows kinda suck, esp. for bands that have rowdier crowds.

Absolutely right...sound advice.

I catch a lot of GA shows in NY and it is a choice between music and beer. (music always wins out for me)

I get front row, and just stay there the whole night.

Just be sure to have water with you, as it can get a bit hot.

At the GA shows I've been to, we always do the get-there-first-and-go-up-front approach. But based on my experience, you should prepare yourself to deal with this scenario: once the show has started, you see someone next to you that wasn't there before. A couple songs later, they are in front of you. People will do this, slowly, inch by inch, so that it's inconspicuous. So be aware of the people around you. angry.gif

How you deal with that is up to you. The problem is, if you start inching forwards to fend them off, then you yourself start intruding on anyone who might legitimately be in front of you. I think it's incredibly rude for people to try to worm their way up in front of me, but it happens, and usually I just let it go instead of ruining my night by having a confrontation about it. But I do make it a point to say to whomever I'm with, VERY LOUDLY, something like "ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW THOSE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF US WERE NOT THERE WHEN THE SHOW STARTED???". It lets a little steam off anyways.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ May 5 2010, 08:24 AM)
For god's sake going to a GA Rush show will be like visiting an old people's home compared to most metal shows, relax and have a good time.

Ha, ha, ha...brilliant! rofl3.gif

Funny, but true...I was thinking the same thing the first time I looked at this post.

I held my front row spot on the barrier at a Velvet Revolver gig for the whole show in NYC on their last tour...

...that was very agressive, but kind of fun at the same time...not too bad at the ripe old age of 45!

~RGLT

(Again...three words for you...water, water and more water).

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif