From Scotland for Rush

lyndale2112

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there will be beer on sale within the venues at Boston and Washington. Being typical Scotts we are partial to drop or 2.

Also, is staying at the airport hotels a practical option for these gigs?

We plan just to use cabs to get around, What do you guys think? trink38.gif

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ May 7 2010, 12:42 PM)
Does anyone know if there will be beer on sale within the venues at Boston and Washington. Being typical Scotts we are partial to drop or 2.
We plan just to use cabs to get around, What do you guys think?  trink38.gif

Speaking for Boston only, yes they will be serving beer inside. The Boston venue also has hard liquor stands as well. As for airport hotel, if you're only going to be in town for the show then the airport hotel would be fine. The airport is only a 10 minute cab ride from the venue.

Edited by FootballYouBet

DC serves beer. I usually dont buy any (expensive, missing show, increased trips to urinal) so I dont remember if they make you drink the beer in a roped-off area or if you get to take it back with you to the seats.

The Dulles hotels I believe are about 20 miles from the venue. Other places to look (even closer) would be Centreville or Manassas. If you will be staying close to the venue, I'd be glad to pick you guys up.

Cabs would be fine getting around. It will be pricey to get from Dulles airport to touristy area of downtown. If you want to get downtown without renting a car, I would suggest taking a cab to the Vienna subway station (furthest West stop).

If you do plan on renting a car, make sure you drive on the right hand side of the road.

Lastly, I'll make two American beer recommendations.

Sam Adams Octoberfest - seasonal beer which will definately be available in Sept.

Yuengling Lager - US's oldest brewery. I'll wager Stormshadow will be bringing some.

DC serves beer. I usually dont buy any (expensive, missing show, increased trips to urinal) so I dont remember if they make you drink the beer in a roped-off area or if you get to take it back with you to the seats.

The Dulles hotels I believe are about 20 miles from the venue. Other places to look (even closer) would be Centreville or Manassas. If you will be staying close to the venue, I'd be glad to pick you guys up.

Cabs would be fine getting around. It will be pricey to get from Dulles airport to touristy area of downtown. If you want to get downtown without renting a car, I would suggest taking a cab to the Vienna subway station (furthest West stop).

If you do plan on renting a car, make sure you drive on the right hand side of the road.

Lastly, I'll make two American beer recommendations.

Sam Adams Octoberfest - seasonal beer which will definately be available in Sept.

Yuengling Lager - US's oldest brewery. I'll wager Stormshadow will be bringing some.

Dulles airport is not really close at all. I would recommend the rental car, and stay in Manassas. You will have a farther ride back to Dulles, but you would be close to the venue.

Additionally, drinking and driving in VA is ridiculously enforced, w/ the legal limit being .08%. That's one beer and a few sips from another. I would recommend tagging along w/ someone from here for the show. If you're in Manassas, you won't be far from the venue, and just about anybody from TRF will give you a lift to the show, and back again.

That's my $.02 anyway. Others here may have better ideas for accomodations.

Keep us posted on your plans!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif Thanks for all the help so far folks. Been looking at booking into the Hampton Inn at Dulles. Doesn't seem too far from the venue and is very reasonably priced. The offer of a lift to and from the venue is greatly appreciated, but theres gonna been four of us so a cab would be a good option. I think?

As for Boston, i think any of the airport hotels would be a safe bet. Not too far from the TD Garden. We'll be in town from lunchtime till late on the day of the Boston show so if theres gonna be a big meet, be sure to let us know.

Would love to meet up with anyone from TRF.

Oh! and if anyone has a fondness for some genuine scottish whiskey we'll be sure to have some in our sporrans.

2.gif

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ May 7 2010, 08:03 PM)
trink39.gif  Thanks for all the help so far folks. Been looking at booking into the Hampton Inn at Dulles. Doesn't seem too far from the venue and is very reasonably priced. The offer of a lift to and from the venue is greatly appreciated, but theres gonna been four of us so a cab would be a good option. I think?

As for Boston, i think any of the airport hotels would be a safe bet. Not too far from the TD Garden. We'll be in town from lunchtime till late on the day of the Boston show so if theres gonna be a big meet, be sure to let us know.
Oh! and if anyone has a fondness for some genuine scottish whiskey we'll be sure to have some in our sporrans.
2.gif

There is a meet-up planned - go to the Hot Tub thread for the Garden show smile.gif It's currently in the works, and I'm not sure if everyone is on board for it, but a suggestion has been made (by me) for The Black Rose (Irish Pub and Restaurant) which is about a 7 minute journey (2 minute Train ride and 5 minute walk) from the Garden.

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ May 8 2010, 01:03 AM)

2.gif

Yes Yes Yes I doooooooooo. I was planning a trip to Scotland for the spring of 2011, but I have to cancel it because of a certain trip to Rush in Boston.

Scotland will just have to hold for a while.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 8 2010, 03:59 PM)

2.gif

Yes Yes Yes I doooooooooo. I was planning a trip to Scotland for the spring of 2011, but I have to cancel it because of a certain trip to Rush in Boston.

LERXST69, Would be good to meet up at some point prior to the Boston show and share the joys of a good malt. We'll be in town from noon till the gig and well beyond i would imagine. Your more than welcome to hook up. You travelling alone from Holland?

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ May 8 2010, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 8 2010, 03:59 PM)

2.gif

LERXST69, Would be good to meet up at some point prior to the Boston show and share the joys of a good malt. We'll be in town from noon till the gig and well beyond i would imagine. Your more than welcome to hook up. You travelling alone from Holland?

We certainly will Lyndale. Check your PM's trink39.gif

QUOTE (lyndale2112 @ May 8 2010, 08:41 PM)
Lerxst69, Got that mate, check yours too.

Could anyone point us in the direction of the Cheers bar from the tv show. Would be nice to have a beer in there at some point before the show. Thanks. trink38.gif

It depends on which you mean. There is a bar called Cheers in Faneuil Hall Marketplace. It is a thematic place, but has no other relation to it.

http://www.cheersboston.com/pub/main_home.html

And then there's the Bull and Finch Pub, which is where the exterior shots were in the show, but different from the set from the show.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North...heers-BR-1.html

I think he means the Bull and Finch...................

Are there any other places that are MUST SEES when you have a few days in Boston??

I mean like pyramids or Stonehenge or something like that.......... wink.gif

Or maybe landmarks outside Boston?

Anything?????

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 9 2010, 06:00 AM)
Are there any other places that are MUST SEES when you have a few days in Boston??

i know a hot dog place that is certainly a must-eat in Natick. And a cheeseburger place that is the best in Brighton. All the must sees are right in the city (revolution-type stuff). I would go to Salem and walk around for couple hours. There's a place that puts on a good play and you can see an actual wooden beam from the actual dungeon downstairs. Worth the trip.

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 9 2010, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 9 2010, 06:00 AM)

i know a hot dog place that is certainly a must-eat in Natick. And a cheeseburger place that is the best in Brighton. All the must sees are right in the city (revolution-type stuff). I would go to Salem and walk around for couple hours. There's a place that puts on a good play and you can see an actual wooden beam from the actual dungeon downstairs. Worth the trip.

Definitely check out Salem - the energy there is just AMAZING, great sites, touristy type places and great little shops.

Something else you might want to check out is Plymouth - Definitely a tourist trap, but you can see the famed Plymouth Rock and visit Plymouth Plantation. It's considered the "Hometown" of America.

Boston has the wonderful Museum of Science and the Aquarium too.

For food, check out the North End - great Italian restaurants, and you'll for sure want to check out Bova's Bakery - it's open all night and has the BEST fresh italian bread and cannoli's in Boston!!

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 10 2010, 01:13 AM)
Thanks for all the info Daveyt and LSM.

And the USS Constitution, is that worth a trip??

You know, I thought of that last night after I signed off the laptop. If you're into that sort of thing, then Old Ironsides is definitely worth the trip. And you're very welcome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ May 10 2010, 05:15 PM)

You know, I thought of that last night after I signed off the laptop. If you're into that sort of thing, then Old Ironsides is definitely worth the trip. And you're very welcome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hi LSM. I'm from The Netherlands, or, as some might say "Holland". And the Dutch know something about ship building. wink.gif

We (The Dutch) rebuilt the famous Batavia, check this out. Originally it was built in 1628!!

Batavia

I've been there and got a chance to go up the standing rope to the first horizontal wooden pole. Nice feeling with a bit of wind in your back. wacko.gif

When those cannons got fired you better shut your ears. The canon on the picture of The USS Constitution looks very promissing, but they shoot it only in the weekends? That's too bad.

I think I'll check it out anyway.

Why do you say that I'm welcome? Do you work there??

Maybe we'll meet.

Greetings.

QUOTE (LERXST69 @ May 10 2010, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ May 10 2010, 05:15 PM)

Hi LSM. I'm from The Netherlands, or, as some might say "Holland". And the Dutch know something about ship building. wink.gif

We (The Dutch) rebuilt the famous Batavia, check this out. Originally it was built in 1628!!

Batavia

I've been there and got a chance to go up the standing rope to the first horizontal wooden pole. Nice feeling with a bit of wind in your back. wacko.gif

When those cannons got fired you better shut your ears. The canon on the picture of The USS Constitution looks very promissing, but they shoot it only in the weekends? That's too bad.

I think I'll check it out anyway.

Why do you say that I'm welcome? Do you work there??

Maybe we'll meet.

Greetings.

LOL no I said "you're welcome" in response to the "thank you" that you gave me in the prior post wink.gif

I love ships, boats, etc. My grandfather was absolutely in love with ships and he used to go and photograph the Tall Ships when they came to Boston Harbor.

Edited by LakesideMaiden