News on 'The Thing' prequel

Jack Aubrey

I remember it was 1984, I believe, I was at a friends to play poker, not enough people had showed up to kick-off a game, we were chatting. A reference was made "film quote", and I said.. "I don't get it" They both said, "you haven't seen The Thing"? I said "nope".

We immediately went to the nearest video store and rented it.

Soon I had my own copy, then it was one of the first 5 or 6 dvd's I ever owned.

I love this film. The music is great.

Carpenter is a master!!

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Apr 6 2010, 07:32 PM)

I hope they do it like the original (not the 50's original) with real special effects and no CGI...CGI abuse has taken too many good ideas and turned them to shit.

That is a concern I have myself.....my biggest beef with the majority of remakes and reboots (at least the ones that requires special effects of some sort) is the overuse of CGI that usually clouds over the story too much IMO.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 7 2010, 02:48 PM)

I hope they do it like the original (not the 50's original) with real special effects and no CGI...CGI abuse has taken too many good ideas and turned them to shit.

That is a concern I have myself.....my biggest beef with the majority of remakes and reboots (at least the ones that requires special effects of some sort) is the overuse of CGI that usually clouds over the story too much IMO.

I'm with you guys. If the CGI is understated and serves the movie then fine, but if there's too much it becomes "style over substance" and that never makes for a good movie. (Matrix sequels, anyone?) I'd also love to see some old school practical effects because they're just cool.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 7 2010, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Apr 7 2010, 02:48 PM)

I'm with you guys. If the CGI is understated and serves the movie then fine, but if there's too much it becomes "style over substance" and that never makes for a good movie. (Matrix sequels, anyone?) I'd also love to see some old school practical effects because they're just cool.

you just know this film is going to be soaked in CGI. It's the easy/cheap option. Old school Sfx by the likes of Rob Bottin and Tom Savini, will probably never see the light of day again, primarily because there's hardly anyone carrying the torch that knows how to do that shit anymore. sad.gif

Quite excited by the prospect of this...Carpenters Thing is one of the very few films that truly deserves the accolade "scary".

I just hope it is done in the same spirit as the original....

We all know what happened to the Norwegians. I watched this movie at least 50 times and at the end I always wondered what would take place next. We need a sequel, not a prequel. yes.gif P.S. Watch Clark. wink.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Apr 9 2010, 09:18 PM)
We all know what happened to the Norwegians. I watched this movie at least 50 times and at the end I always wondered what would take place next. We need a sequel, not a prequel. yes.gif P.S. Watch Clark. wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 8 2010, 04:23 PM)
Quite excited by the prospect of this...Carpenters Thing is one of the very few films that truly deserves the accolade "scary".

I just hope it is done in the same spirit as the original....

110% agreed! yes.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Apr 10 2010, 04:18 AM)

no.gif

A sequel would be a very bad idea.....the nihilistic nature of the ending is perfect IMO.....

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 10 2010, 05:12 AM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Apr 10 2010, 04:18 AM)
We all know what happened to the Norwegians. I watched this movie at least 50 times and at the end I always wondered what would take place next. We need a sequel, not a prequel.  yes.gif  P.S. Watch Clark.  wink.gif

no.gif

A sequel would be a very bad idea.....the nihilistic nature of the ending is perfect IMO.....

What do you mean no.gif ? I said, watch...Clark.

The Thing is a movie that should never be touched by the grubby fingers of cash-ins, lest it is forced into hiding its shameful face like the mighty First Blood, Highlander and Predator. Leave well-enough alone, dammit!

Sequels are for Police Academy.

QUOTE (Graham_W @ Apr 14 2010, 09:38 AM)
The Thing is a movie that should never be touched by the grubby fingers of cash-ins, lest it is forced into hiding its shameful face like the mighty First Blood, Highlander and Predator. Leave well-enough alone, dammit!

Sequels are for Police Academy.

You might wat to sit down for this: I heard that a Highlander remake is in the works. I know, I'm sad, too. fists crying.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey