Another online collaboration song

JARG

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 1 2010, 09:20 PM)
You were a little higher in the mix on this one. Good thing, because that was a very nice solo and we wouldn't want it hidden. Nice run at the end. cool.gif

Thanks...used a different guitar on that song...my old Carvin V220.

That's a nice piece and Mike's voice is better suited to more "rocky" material, I feel. Like the sound of the guitar personally, but not sure it sounds "contemporary".

Reverb(?) could do with being reduced on the vocals, I think. Occasionally sounds like it's being sung in an old barn.

Edited by Tony R

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 2 2010, 08:32 AM)
That's a nice piece and Mike's voice is better suited to more "rocky" material, I feel. Like the sound of the guitar personally, but not sure it sounds "contemporary".
Reverb(?) could do with being reduced on the vocals, I think. Occasionally sounds like it's being sung in an old barn.

Not only is my tone not very contemporary sounding, but neither is my style. I'm 45, but I'm the youngest of seven, so I grew up listening to the music of my other brothers and sisters. The music of their generation had a huge impact on me as a musician.

Old Rush good, new Rush b...wups, wrong board! wink.gif

QUOTE (JARG @ Apr 2 2010, 09:57 PM)

Not only is my tone not very contemporary sounding, but neither is my style. I'm 45, but I'm the youngest of seven, so I grew up listening to the music of my other brothers and sisters. The music of their generation had a huge impact on me as a musician.

What is it about your guitar sound that isn't "contemporary"?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2010, 08:30 PM)

It's a subjective thing, but the amp modelling I used just sounds like a 60s or 70s rig to my ears. Do you think my sound is contemporary?

QUOTE (JARG @ Apr 2 2010, 11:50 PM)

It's a subjective thing, but the amp modelling I used just sounds like a 60s or 70s rig to my ears. Do you think my sound is contemporary?

I never thought of guitar tones as contemporary or old-school or whatever. Only, does the tone fit the song or not. Your lead tone sounded fine in this song. I wasn't crazy about the rhythm guitar tone (which wasn't yours), but it has nothing to do with it sounding dated or whatever.

Now that I think about it, I suppose a scooped mids metal sound (Metallica, for instance) could be considered contemporary only because that sound wasn't heard back in the days of Hendrix or Black Sabbath, but that kind of tone wouldn't fit a song like this. Again, it comes down to the right tone for the song.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 2 2010, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (JARG @ Apr 2 2010, 11:50 PM)

I never thought of guitar tones as contemporary or old-school or whatever. Only, does the tone fit the song or not. Your lead tone sounded fine in this song. I wasn't crazy about the rhythm guitar tone (which wasn't yours), but it has nothing to do with it sounding dated or whatever.

Now that I think about it, I suppose a scooped mids metal sound (Metallica, for instance) could be considered contemporary only because that sound wasn't heard back in the days of Hendrix or Black Sabbath, but that kind of tone wouldn't fit a song like this. Again, it comes down to the right tone for the song.

I agree. I think I came up with the right tone for the song (I wouldn't have submitted the track otherwise). Yeah, your observation about a scooped-mid sound is more or less what I think of when I think of a contemporary tone...that, with a fairly high amount of compression. I'm not a big fan of that kind of tone...sure it has its place...but probably not ever in my palatte. wink.gif