Pieces of eight

Ghostnotes

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 20 2009, 11:06 PM)
Thank goodness for the internet or that might have faded away into obscurity. I played this in my senior music class back in...............wow 89" Back then i was definitely not in the music" in crowd" and got mocked for holding my sticks backwards when not practicing, and for the first couple of months, never even sat behind the 6 pc kit they had. No biggie though i had my kit at home.

Until someone noticed that the "Rush freak" hasn't played anything yet. One of the cocky wannabe's(who could barley play in 4/4 but people thought he was god because he could play a Poison and Cinderella tune) started talking crap.We were supposed to play a composition in a few days, so i got a hold of 2 buddies, Mike who could play a Xylophone/Marimba and Dale who could come up with something on keys.Plus, we all knew the song so it didn't take long.

So i asked our Music teacher ahead of time if he would write them out of their classes so they could assist me. He was more than happy to.The next day everyone is doing their composition and it came to my turn and was asked what i was going to play. Pieces of Eight by Neil Peart, the look of "what the hell is that" was priceless, except for our instructor....he knew what it was.

Before I played it, i played a copy of it on tape as a reference because no one knew what it was.Initially when it started you could see the boredom on most people's faces. By mid song though, everybody was upright in their chair. After i hit stop, one of the big hair boys(no offense to anyone here) said "you really going to try to play that.

I simply said yeah

I pretty much got an A for the whole year.

I'm usually not too cocky about anything but that time i definitely gave them the look of Yeah i am better than you.

It's a great piece and very special to me.

I know, I know I'm writing a novel here.

Wonderful story! trink39.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 21 2009, 06:52 PM)
Pieces of Eight? Ah yes, old Styx. I still have it on cassette from way back. cool.gif tongue.gif
Let's click and listen to some samples shall we?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QEXRT9G8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

STYX is awesome.

I saw them this year on my birthday in Vegas at The House Of Blues 2/15/2009.

They were fantastic.

They are playing at The Warfield on January 17th.

I'm going to be in San Diego for our daughter's soccer tournament that weekend so I'm going to miss the gig.

It's bitter sweet.

Love,

"Sweet Mademoiselle"

QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Dec 21 2009, 01:06 PM)
Thank goodness for the internet or that might have faded away into obscurity. I played this in my senior music class back in...............wow 89" Back then i was definitely not in the music" in crowd" and got mocked for holding my sticks backwards when not practicing, and for the first couple of months, never even sat behind the 6 pc kit they had. No biggie though i had my kit at home.

Until someone noticed that the "Rush freak" hasn't played anything yet. One of the cocky wannabe's(who could barley play in 4/4 but people thought he was god because he could play a Poison and Cinderella tune) started talking crap.We were supposed to play a composition in a few days, so i got a hold of 2 buddies, Mike who could play a Xylophone/Marimba and Dale who could come up with something on keys.Plus, we all knew the song so it didn't take long.

So i asked our Music teacher ahead of time if he would write them out of their classes so they could assist me. He was more than happy to.The next day everyone is doing their composition and it came to my turn and was asked what i was going to play. Pieces of Eight by Neil Peart, the look of "what the hell is that" was priceless, except for our instructor....he knew what it was.

Before I played it, i played a copy of it on tape as a reference because no one knew what it was.Initially when it started you could see the boredom on most people's faces. By mid song though, everybody was upright in their chair. After i hit stop, one of the big hair boys(no offense to anyone here) said "you really going to try to play that.

I simply said yeah

I pretty much got an A for the whole year.

I'm usually not too cocky about anything but that time i definitely gave them the look of Yeah i am better than you.

It's a great piece and very special to me.

I know, I know I'm writing a novel here.

1022.gif Good for you! And those hair boys needed a taste of their own cockiness!

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

It's funny. Before that they would give me shit, nothing really bad or mean or anything like that, i was just the singled out one. But afterwords they had nothing to say but word did get around somehow after that. biggrin.gif

Archived