What should Rush do for the next album?

crushtopher

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 22 2005, 11:55 AM)
I know it's a copout answer, yet it is true. And it's consistent as I've said this before.

I have no opinion here. The reason I LOVE this band the way I do is the fact that I've learned to trust them. Whatever they decide to do, and however they decide to do it - will be F'ing Awesome as far as I'm concerned. I can't say that about any other band on the planet. Just these guys. I'm ready for whatever they want to do. Bring it on.

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Mar 22 2005, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Dave G @ Mar 22 2005, 04:00 PM)
Given Alex's distaste for sharing sonic space with anything other than bass, drums, and vocals these days, I wouldn't expect much in the keyboard department on the next album.

I agree...but I don't care for your wording. Alex has taken a back seat like no one with his talent has before. How many sounds does Geddy need to produce at once for Kripes sake? Hes already got the bass (guitar) and some mids with his voice. Geez. We also don't know what they will do next. There could be more effects and sampling or none at all.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 22 2005, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 22 2005, 11:55 AM)
I know it's a copout answer, yet it is true.  And it's consistent as I've said this before.

I have no opinion here.  The reason I LOVE this band the way I do is the fact that I've learned to trust them.  Whatever they decide to do, and however they decide to do it - will be F'ing Awesome as far as I'm concerned.  I can't say that about any other band on the planet.  Just these guys.  I'm ready for whatever they want to do.  Bring it on.

653.gif  2.gif  AlexFinal.gif  NeilFinal.gif  GeddyFinal.gif  2.gif  653.gif

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

yes.gif

My "wording" was fairly matter-of-fact and far less abrasive than what I've seen some say on the subject, and by all reports, considerably more reserved than what Alex himself had to say about the presence of keyboards in Rush in recent years. On the contrary, I'm more cool-headed than most in stating my opinions.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing Alex as having taken a back seat in Rush, given the wealth of great work on his part from every album, but then I'm a lot more interested in well-arranged songs and the overall picture than in seeing any one player strut their stuff, regardless of how good they may be. If you want to talk about players taking a back seat, how about guys like Tony Levin and Jeff Berlin, who show considerable taste and restraint as session players working on others' projects despite the mind-blowing chops they can bring to bear (except on the occasions that they get to do a more musician-oriented project for a prog-rock label and they're able to totally cut loose). Compared to players like those, Alex has had incredible freedom to show what he can do in Rush.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Mar 22 2005, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 22 2005, 04:40 PM)
I'm hoping the next album sounds a bit more Country and Western..  It's a new direction they could go, and it would probably attract more fans.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Playing the music that they love?

EXACTLY!!!!

trink39.gif

This, that & the other thing....One thing's for certain...We'll all buy it, we'll all lilke & we'll all go see them on the next tour. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Dave G @ Mar 23 2005, 05:08 PM)
My "wording" was fairly matter-of-fact and far less abrasive than what I've seen some say on the subject, and by all reports, considerably more reserved than what Alex himself had to say about the presence of keyboards in Rush in recent years. On the contrary, I'm more cool-headed than most in stating my opinions.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing Alex as having taken a back seat in Rush, given the wealth of great work on his part from every album, but then I'm a lot more interested in well-arranged songs and the overall picture than in seeing any one player strut their stuff, regardless of how good they may be. If you want to talk about players taking a back seat, how about guys like Tony Levin and Jeff Berlin, who show considerable taste and restraint as session players working on others' projects despite the mind-blowing chops they can bring to bear (except on the occasions that they get to do a more musician-oriented project for a prog-rock label and they're able to totally cut loose). Compared to players like those, Alex has had incredible freedom to show what he can do in Rush.

Please, I think your argument would bear more weight if you would admit upfront that you prefer keyboards to guitar in general. This is a personal preference of yours rather than some inferior music being created due to a certain musician's selfishness.

When Rush uses synthesizers, there are 2 inherent weaknesses; Geddy is then not playing the bass and the mid-highs of the synths are competing with Alex.

Enough already. They are a Rock band not Depeche Mode or the Chemical Brothers. Why not use the talents that you have? Alex is NOT a studio musician sitting in with another band either....horrible comparison. Just horrible.

edited because I felt like it

Please, I think your argument would bear more weight if you would admit upfront that you prefer keyboards to guitar in general. This is a personal preference of yours rather than some inferior music being created due to a certain musician's selfishness.

When Rush uses synthesizers, there are 2 inherent weaknesses; Geddy is then not playing the bass and the mid-highs of the synths are competing with Alex.

Enough already. They are a Rock band not Depeche Mode or the Chemical Brothers. Why not use the talents that you have? Alex is NOT a studio musician sitting in with another band either....horrible comparison. Just horrible.

You're operating on the assumption that I want Rush to be some kind of techno band, which is not the case. Rush were never a techno band, even in the '80s...they were a rock band that used technology to enhance their music (well, some wouldn't use the word "enhance," granted, LOL). Do I "prefer keyboards to guitar in general?" As a player, yes, but not necessarily as a an arranger or as a fan of other artists' music. "Driven" and "Alien Shore" would probably go in my top ten list of favorite Rush songs. The only thing that bothers me is the decision to omit a particular instrument on prinicple, regardless of whether a given song might benefit from using it or not. Rush are what they are and they're going to do what they want to do, and I'm fine with that. I'm probably more easy going and accepting about what Rush do than those who have an axe to grind about their use of keyboards.

Incidentally, you simply stated that "Alex has taken a back seat like no-one with his talent has before." A rather broad, sweeping statement that doesn't specifiy whether the players you're referring to are in a full-time band, hired guns. I wouldn't presume to make a statement like that at all, myself - there are all kinds of amazingly talented players out there that I'll never know about, inside and outside of full-time bands.

I'm done here...this kind of exchange serves no purpose and makes those involved look like children arguing about superheroes on a playground. Frankly, the question of whether or not Rush ever uses keyboards again is not a pivotal issue in my life. Certainly not important enough to continue spending time arguing semantics over it. wink.gif

QUOTE (Dave G @ Mar 24 2005, 08:04 AM)
this kind of exchange serves no purpose and makes those involved look like children arguing about superheroes on a playground.

I'm just going on record that Submariner can kick the shit out of Captain America any day. Take away that stupid shield, and what has he got???? Nuthin'. That's right - nuthin'.

Do I "prefer keyboards to guitar in general?" As a player, yes,

You admitted it! nanananana!

The only thing that bothers me is the decision to omit a particular instrument on prinicple, regardless of whether a given song might benefit from using it or not.

laugh.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Yeah, thats probably not very wise.

But from my perspective VT is their finest work (Well, in the remastered form). I prefer it even to Moving Pictures. Just ask Paganoman, its awesome. My comment about Alex taking a back seat was perhaps over the top, but if you are a guitar player and try to play along with, say the Presto CD, you will find there is very little there. I think the reason they played Superconductor live so often is because it actually has some guitar in it. And it is a weak song.

Its OK to argue semantics, its a good way to learn and understand others perspectives. RUSH are not superheroes, just people, and no it doesn't really matter in the long run what they do, but it could matter as far as how YOU decide in the future how to use the members of your band....the overall compostion vs. players desires etc. It could be important to know what to value. We all have a vision but there are other people in the world to take into consideration.

Is this childish? I don't think so.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Mar 24 2005, 04:54 PM)

Do I "prefer keyboards to guitar in general?" As a player, yes,

You admitted it! nanananana!

The only thing that bothers me is the decision to omit a particular instrument on prinicple, regardless of whether a given song might benefit from using it or not.

laugh.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Yeah, thats probably not very wise.

But from my perspective VT is their finest work (Well, in the remastered form). I prefer it even to Moving Pictures. Just ask Paganoman, its awesome. My comment about Alex taking a back seat was perhaps over the top, but if you are a guitar player and try to play along with, say the Presto CD, you will find there is very little there. I think the reason they played Superconductor live so often is because it actually has some guitar in it. And it is a weak song.

Its OK to argue semantics, its a good way to learn and understand others perspectives. RUSH are not superheroes, just people, and no it doesn't really matter in the long run what they do, but it could matter as far as how YOU decide in the future how to use the members of your band....the overall compostion vs. players desires etc. It could be important to know what to value. We all have a vision but there are other people in the world to take into consideration.

Is this childish? I don't think so.

Very well put My Shrimp Cot

That was very sensible, are you feeling alright? laugh.gif

Archived