Drinking, what have Americans got against it?

BackStagePass

There is a common viewpoint held in the UK about people who visit America...

If you pop out for say a business meal in America at lunch time and you are with an American, if you ask for alcohol at lunchtime you are an alcoholic and must go for therapy.

Is this view common? In the UK we love our drink trink38.gif

When I worked in Central London about 8 years ago my daily diet was 8-10 pints of Guinness and a burger from KFC ohmy.gif

I have calmed down now, I ditched the KFC biggrin.gif

Joke alert...

I am not an alcoholic....alcoholics go to meetings!

#1 You can't get anywhere in US without driving there...and we dont drive very well to begin with

#2 I like to be sober at work...It makes being drunk when Im not at work more fun.

#3 I dont like being around drunk people in serious situations. They're a bore.

I do like my Gin and Tonics though trink39.gif

I drink 4-5 times a year. When I played music in a working bar band we usually got free beer and drinks and people would also buy us shots. I drank my fair share of booze that's for sure. Most of the time I would have 5 shots sittin on my amp where people would buy us shots but if I drank them all I would play like crap and fall over back into the drums in the middle of a song(I've did that before by the way, the drummer quit the next day because he didn't ever drink laugh.gif ),,,,,,,,,,,Usually I would drink a couple then give them to the people who helped us lug our gear in before and after the shows as a payment for the help. laugh.gif .

Now I'm 37 and kind of grew out of drinking all the time, like I said I will get a good buzz on like 4-5 times a year for special events, concerts, parties, meetups, etc. When I do I get some good quality beer or a couple gin and 7's. But when I worked at machine shops I wouldn't dare drink anything at work because I could cut my hand off or hurt someone else and I couldn't live with myself if I did something stupid like that. There was always plenty of time to get a buzz after work no need to push it and be sorry for it the rest of your life, I have to use these hands until my next life and hard telling when that will be.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Mar 20 2005, 06:03 PM)
#2 I like to be sober at work...It makes being drunk when Im not at work more fun.

We had to look after equipment in other parts of the world. People used to call the pub rather than the office after midday.

One day we were downing our beer and barman shouts over 'Who wants to sort this satellite dish problem in Moscow'.

Another time we were handed part of a satellite dish by the barmaid. She said the guy from the India office dropped it off when in London. He said if they handed it to the bar staff there was a good chance we would get it. laugh.gif

Getting back to the original question, I think it has to do with the mentality associated with drinking. Unfortunately, most Americans do drink to get drunk. So the whole message pushed out there is if you drink to get drunk, you may be an alcoholic.

The sad part is there seems to be this attempt to suggest you are an alcoholic even if you rarely ever drink. The 'experts' try to say it is actually dependant on the circumstances of your drinking.

Sadly, most Americans are not responsible with alcohol the way many Europeans are. So we still have problems with drunk driving. Drinking during lunch has become a big taboo also because once again, we drink to get drunk. Managers don't like employees to be drunk at work, bad for productivity. So the common response is to just tell everybody they can NEVER drink during lunch.

But as is usually the case, there seem to be exceptions to the rule. Because most senior businessmen and politicians regard themselves as above the rules, it's ok for them to drink during business lunches. Don't you just love hypocrisy?

Obviously it would depend on what type of job you have. I'm sure a lot of businessmen and salesmen have a drink or two during "working lunches". IMO drinking while working is just not very professional.

Having seen all this, let me throw this one in there. Which nation is the one with the problem of underage binge drinking? Yup, here in the UK. Why, because we spend so much time defending our right to have alcohol.

Business men at lunchtime sinking 3 or 4 pints then driving to clients or back to the office. What does it take for them to understand? Killing someone, and even then they say, "I've always been able to handle it". When will people learn that D&D, (DUI), does not guarantee you to have an accident, BUT, the day someone runs out in front of you is the day that you kill them because your reactions have been dulled that tiny fraction.

Alcohol is a drug and like any drug can be misused, but if used correctly it can have good effects.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 22 2005, 01:26 PM)
Having seen all this, let me throw this one in there. Which nation is the one with the problem of underage binge drinking? Yup, here in the UK. Why, because we spend so much time defending our right to have alcohol.

Business men at lunchtime sinking 3 or 4 pints then driving to clients or back to the office. What does it take for them to understand? Killing someone, and even then they say, "I've always been able to handle it". When will people learn that D&D, (DUI), does not guarantee you to have an accident, BUT, the day someone runs out in front of you is the day that you kill them because your reactions have been dulled that tiny fraction.

Alcohol is a drug and like any drug can be misused, but if used correctly it can have good effects.

True, it is a drug. My dad never did any other drugs besides drinking. He's always knocking anyone who smokes weed or does any drug at all. I've tried my fair share of drugs in my lifetime and I keep telling him that one of the most strongest most powerful drugs I ever used that messed me up worse than any other is alcohol. I know that any drug will mess you up if you take enough but it's so easy to drink a couple too many drinks and wake up and not know where you've been. I can smoke joints constantly all day and night and when I wake up I will know where I've been yet since it's illegal people will look down on it and at the same time have a beer in their hand. I will never understand that one.

I bet if Alex and his son was just smoking weed 2 New Years eve's ago, that they wouldn't have got into any trouble at all.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 22 2005, 06:26 PM)

A lot of people who work in the 'City' in London do not have to drive afterwards as it is impossible to park in Central London.

i.e. we got the tube/metro into work, so getting 'hammered' at lunchtime did not having any driving issues.

the bottom line is there are two completely different countries and cultures ... (obviously) ... I can't speak for Britain, but here, in most jobs, if you came back even tipsy from lunch, you would likely be admonished at a minimum ...

ALso, someone earlier said that most Americans drink to get drunk ... I completely dissagree with that ... maybe in High School that is true ... but not in the general adult population.

QUOTE (BackStagePass @ Mar 22 2005, 09:45 PM)

A lot of people who work in the 'City' in London do not have to drive afterwards as it is impossible to park in Central London.

i.e. we got the tube/metro into work, so getting 'hammered' at lunchtime did not having any driving issues.

we could learn alot from u guys

That's the same way with Manhattan, a lot of people that live there don't even have (or want) a car.

As far as drinking to get drunk, I drink to get a buzz, no other reason. "Social drinkers" is something that I will never understand, what, drink because you are around others that are drinking? To me that's more immature than drinking to get drunk. Only kids do things that everyone else is doing just because it's what "their" doing. I grew out of that kind of behaviour long ago. I never smoked cigarettes because other kids were doing it either. When I'm drinking it's for 1 reason and 1 reason only, to get a buzz on. (not drunk) Again, I only drink 4-5 times a year tops.

There's a good reason why I don't drink while on the job.. If they even smell alcohol on me I can be fired on the spot. So that 1 or 2 beer lunch needs lots of breath mints, or I could be looking for a new job.

trink38.gif

I was so fortunate growing up in a household and culture that permitted underage drinking. It actually made binge drinking a non-issue once I came of age. And, I do enjoy a cocktail at lunchtime. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 23 2005, 12:03 AM)

That's the same way with Manhattan, a lot of people that live there don't even have (or want) a car.

As far as drinking to get drunk, I drink to get a buzz, no other reason. "Social drinkers" is something that I will never understand, what, drink because you are around others that are drinking? To me that's more immature than drinking to get drunk. Only kids do things that everyone else is doing just because it's what "their" doing. I grew out of that kind of behaviour long ago. I never smoked cigarettes because other kids were doing it either. When I'm drinking it's for 1 reason and 1 reason only, to get a buzz on. (not drunk) Again, I only drink 4-5 times a year tops.

Social drinking (to me) doesn't mean you are drinking because everyone else is ... it means that you only drink in a social setting ... at parties, concerts, etc ... or possibly enjoy a drink after dinner ... etc ... not from peer pressure ... but because you enjoy it.

This to separate those from the habitual or binge drinkers who drink to get drunk or may actually have a problem.

QUOTE (BackStagePass @ Mar 23 2005, 02:45 AM)

Yes, I think that's true of the city, but lets not forget it's only one square mile of London. I have worked in and around West London, (Chiswick, Hammersmith, Ealing) and seen this go on day in, day out.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 23 2005, 05:14 AM)
There's a good reason why I don't drink while on the job.. If they even smell alcohol on me I can be fired on the spot. So that 1 or 2 beer lunch needs lots of breath mints, or I could be looking for a new job.

trink38.gif

I have a good reason. I'm a mini cab driver.

I should point out that I do tend to be biased because I am a driver for a living and for another reason.

My real dad, rest his soul, died in hospital at the age of 67. It wasn't the alcohol that killed him tho. Not directly. He actually died from the MRSA superbug. However, the reason he was in hospital is because he had screwed up his organs. He was a gentleman drunk and a landlord. He had been in hospital the previous year and had a colostomy. He was improving and went back in and had the colostomy reversed. Then he gets struck down by the MRSA.

Alcohol, in the wrong hands or misused wrecks lives, and not just the lives of the drinkers. [/end preach and rant]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Chasartymac/People/Dad01.jpg

Archived