• Hold You Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes & Arrows

Rush necessarily is not a dark band per say, but they do have some dark albums. I would say Grace Under Pressure, Vapor Trails, and Snakes and Arrows are there dark albums. Other albums may have a dark song, like Moving Pictures or 2112, but to me, those 3 Rush albums are all that's dark by Rush.

Man, some people's idea of dark is really tame. Subdivisions? Really? None of you have ever heard The Wall from Pink Floyd before? Have a listen to Dirt from Alice In Chains and then tell us what dark is.

Sorry, but Rush isn't that dark. They've dabbed into on occasion but nothing too deep.

Dirt I think is the darkest album I've ever listened to. When I was a kid and was reading Bridge To Terribithia and the girl died, my day went from splendiferous to morose, and it was just a book. Dirt is one of the few things I've found that can change my mood to sour and depressed so quickly and so effectively. I bought the album for Rooster, only to discover that's the only shred of hope on the whole record. Somewhere in the midst of it's second half, I get this powerful urge to just shut it off and remember I'm not the one losing his life to drug dependency.

So yeah, comparatively, GuP is kinda nothing, but in the Rush cannon I'd say it's their darkest work.

By dark, what do you mean exactly?

Because if Dirt is the darkest thing you've listened to then whooohboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS_6Ca5vZQ

Easily among the darkest things ever recorded

Man, some people's idea of dark is really tame. Subdivisions? Really? None of you have ever heard The Wall from Pink Floyd before? Have a listen to Dirt from Alice In Chains and then tell us what dark is.

Sorry, but Rush isn't that dark. They've dabbed into on occasion but nothing too deep.

Dirt I think is the darkest album I've ever listened to. When I was a kid and was reading Bridge To Terribithia and the girl died, my day went from splendiferous to morose, and it was just a book. Dirt is one of the few things I've found that can change my mood to sour and depressed so quickly and so effectively. I bought the album for Rooster, only to discover that's the only shred of hope on the whole record. Somewhere in the midst of it's second half, I get this powerful urge to just shut it off and remember I'm not the one losing his life to drug dependency.

So yeah, comparatively, GuP is kinda nothing, but in the Rush cannon I'd say it's their darkest work.

By dark, what do you mean exactly?

Because if Dirt is the darkest thing you've listened to then whooohboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuS_6Ca5vZQ

Easily among the darkest things ever recorded

Man, today I took a listen to this song and I couldn't understand one single word. Then I found lyrics on some webpage and my ears couldn't connect at all what I'm hearing with words I'm reading.

For example lyrics of this song go: "The prison of mirrors... we can't see

Yet trapped we are... by its reflection".

But I couldn't hear one single word.

BTW this is also a very good example of DARK song.

That's because it's Black Metal. Specifically, Depressive Black Metal. Not something that you're supposed to get, especially Xasthur. Not knowing the words isn't the issue, the monolithic feel Xasthur has is the point I'm making. Plus the history of actual Depressive and Suicidal Black Metal bands with stories of murder, self mutilation, suicides, and the like only make it that much more depressing and dark.

Oh and I'm a huge Opeth fan. Opeth is child's play to what's out there in the underground.

Caress of Steel for me

As others have said, there's darkness in lyrics and there's also darkness in the music and feel. GUP may be dark in terms of Neil's writing, but it has a very crisp sound and Alex's playing on the album is incredibly good, but not dark

Caress of Steel just has a dark feel and Alex's playing is soulful but with a darker sound. My all-time favorite solo is on No One at the Bridge, but it definitely has that dark sound...