Carpal tunnel release

Rush Cocky

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 5 2009, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 2 2009, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 2 2009, 12:17 PM)
I'm having my first surgery on Tuesday.  I'm hoping it goes as well as yours did.

I will pray that it will!

I feel tons better. smile.gif

Getting back behind the kit this weekend......should be great!

How'd it go with drumming?

I go in tomorrow morning for my surgery. *bites nails*

Very good, thanks for asking. Because the butt-end of the stick can hit my wrist at times, there was a little bit of lingering pain from that, but overall, I am healing nicely.

You shouldn't even be awake for the surgery courtesy of anesthesia. You should feel a good bit better after the surgery as well.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 2 2009, 09:43 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 2 2009, 12:17 PM)
I'm having my first surgery on Tuesday.  I'm hoping it goes as well as yours did.

I will pray that it will!

I feel tons better. smile.gif

Getting back behind the kit this weekend......should be great!

How'd it go with drumming?

Good luck with the surgery GG! I'm sure you'll be back typing faster than ever and keeping us in line again before you know it!

So......how did it go?

I know you're busy right now with your dad and his surgery, but I'm wondering how YOUR surgery went as well!

By the way, I am getting progressively better. Including practice, I ended up drumming for about 3-1/2 hours last Sunday (played for 2 services), and was surprised at how good I felt!

i'm slowly improving.

was expecting the endoscopic surgery but had to have the "open" version - not sure which you had.

i get my stitches out next tuesday and am slowly trying to use my hand, very very minimally. still lots of pain by bedtime, but that's what lor-tab is for laugh.gif

i took a pic of my incision if anybody wants to see it tongue.gif

thanks for asking, rc.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 14 2009, 08:28 PM)
i'm slowly improving.

was expecting the endoscopic surgery but had to have the "open" version - not sure which you had.

i get my stitches out next tuesday and am slowly trying to use my hand, very very minimally. still lots of pain by bedtime, but that's what lor-tab is for laugh.gif

thanks for asking, rc.

Hope it heals quickly, GG!

i'm slowly improving.

thanks for asking, rc.

I had the open for sure. Don't think there IS an endoscopic version of this surgery. confused13.gif

And yes, good painkillers are a must for the first week or so post-op.

Glad to hear all is well! smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 15 2009, 09:22 PM)
i'm slowly improving.

i get my stitches out next tuesday and am slowly trying to use my hand, very very minimally.  still lots of pain by bedtime, but that's what lor-tab is for laugh.gif

i took a pic of my incision if anybody wants to see it  tongue.gif

thanks for asking, rc.

I had the open for sure. Don't think there IS an endoscopic version of this surgery. confused13.gif

And yes, good painkillers are a must for the first week or so post-op.

Glad to hear all is well! smile.gif

yep, there's an endoscopic carpal tunnel release - two small incisions vs. the 3-4" one i've got, but the surgeon couldn't visualize the nerve clearly b/c of inflammation

Really wishing my incision would heal more quickly...it's very hard to use my hand like they told me too while it's still so sore.

Left hand will be done on Nov. 17.

I changed the title of the thread. biggrin.gif

RC - how in the world were you drumming such a short time after surgery? I can't turn a doorknob without pain, and I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 23 2009, 05:17 PM)
RC - how in the world were you drumming such a short time after surgery? I can't turn a doorknob without pain, and I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op.

Honestly, my left hand still hurts some, even now, and I am almost 2 months post-op. Even hurts today a little bit, but that's because I forget, and I lifted something very heavy with the left hand this morning.

For the right hand, it took about 11 weeks or so post-op to be completely pain free. That would be right around Thanksgiving for me considering the left hand.

And so GG, you still having trouble turning a doorknob at 2-1/2 weeks is completely normal. Nothing to fear there. I had an appointment with my surgeon 2 weeks post-op....have you had that followup appointment yet? I would ask him/her about it in order to totally set your mind at ease.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 26 2009, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 23 2009, 05:17 PM)
RC - how in the world were you drumming such a short time after surgery?  I can't turn a doorknob without pain, and I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op.

Honestly, my left hand still hurts some, even now, and I am almost 2 months post-op. Even hurts today a little bit, but that's because I forget, and I lifted something very heavy with the left hand this morning.

For the right hand, it took about 11 weeks or so post-op to be completely pain free. That would be right around Thanksgiving for me considering the left hand.

And so GG, you still having trouble turning a doorknob at 2-1/2 weeks is completely normal. Nothing to fear there. I had an appointment with my surgeon 2 weeks post-op....have you had that followup appointment yet? I would ask him/her about it in order to totally set your mind at ease.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Yes, I had the follow-up. I know that some pain is normal, but I couldn't imagine playing the drums! laugh.gif

My left hand is much worse now after three weeks of overuse while the right hand recuperated. I'm trying to shift back to using the right.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 26 2009, 12:12 PM)
Yes, I had the follow-up. I know that some pain is normal, but I couldn't imagine playing the drums! laugh.gif

My left hand is much worse now after three weeks of overuse while the right hand recuperated. I'm trying to shift back to using the right.

My surgeon did better the second time (left hand) than he did on the first.....it's the only explanation I have. confused13.gif

And yes, I had the same problem of hand overuse. Trust me, it all gets better, you're going through the hardest stages now. Hang in there! smile.gif

I am amazed at how much better of a drummer I am now that my hands are close to fully healed (and I don't have to worry about them going numb for no reason). Got numerous compliments over the past weekend!

So glad to be on the other side of all this!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Nov 2 2009, 02:57 PM)
I am amazed at how much better of a drummer I am now that my hands are close to fully healed (and I don't have to worry about them going numb for no reason). Got numerous compliments over the past weekend!

So glad to be on the other side of all this!

That's great! smile.gif

As for me, my right hand feels 100% better as far as the numbness is concerned. The incision is healing up well but I'm still having trouble picking up things that weigh over a pound or so. I've lost a little flexibility that I'm trying to get back.

Surgery #2 is two weeks from tomorrow.

Goin' under the knife for surgery #2 tomorrow. I can't wait to get my left hand fixed! The right one is great.

I'll let y'all know how it goes as soon as I can. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 16 2009, 11:10 PM)
Goin' under the knife for surgery #2 tomorrow. I can't wait to get my left hand fixed! The right one is great.

Good luck! (I'll have a new Neil update in a day or two to help kill time).

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 16 2009, 10:10 PM)

Great to hear GhostGirl!

And......I told ya so! tongue.gif