The Time Traveler's Wife

goose

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 18 2009, 11:16 PM)
My fear is that the movie will do to this novel what Hollywood did to "Love in the Time of Cholera".

I loved the Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel "Love in the Time of Cholera," but also had the sense to avoid the movie. And while the book was great, something tells me a three-hour movie adaptation would be yawners.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 19 2009, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 18 2009, 11:16 PM)
My fear is that the movie will do to this novel what Hollywood did to "Love in the Time of Cholera".

I loved the Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel "Love in the Time of Cholera," but also had the sense to avoid the movie. And while the book was great, something tells me a three-hour movie adaptation would be yawners.

You had the right idea. Don't bother with Cholera. 062802puke_prv.gif

I just saw this movie and then did a TRF search and found this thread. Oddly enough, this thread doesn't actually have any comments in it from anyone who's actually seen it (up until now), just speculation on how chick flicky it is and how it compares to the book.

I went in without knowing it was supposed to be a "chick flick," and being only vaguely aware that this was a successful book. I kinda vaguely remembered the previews for it on TV.

Anyway, I saw it with the wife and we both LOVED it! It was a beautiful, wonderful story. Both being very avid sci-fi fans, we ate up all the time travel stuff and its ensuing complications. We were both really pretty blown away by the movie, honestly.

So then it was my familiar post-mortem, which is going on line and seeing what critics thought of it, how well it did, etc., and I was pretty surprised. Reviews were all over the map, but it was definitely more negative than positive. Most complained about the ridiculousness of the premise. Well jeez, it's a story about someone who travels through time - what do you expect? That said, the way it's handled logistically and emotionally is brilliant and very realistic feeling, as long as you can suspend disbelief and accept that the premise is about something that doesn't exist. Welcome to science-fiction/fantasy.

Some people aren't going to like this if for no other reason than reviews tend to be indicative of how people will feel (37% or so on rottentomatoes), but this review comes from someone (two of us if you include my wife) who absolutely LOVED it. A classic Oscar-nomination worthy movie IMHO, even if most disagree...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 3 2010, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Sep 2 2010, 10:28 PM)
Racheal Mcadams wub.gif

I feel in love with her on wedding crashers.

Did you see this movie though? What did you think of it if you did?

Yes I did. I thought it was ok. Good story, a little slow, but thought provocing. You put yourself in the situation and you just wonder