Another Person Goes Missing In Rockaway Beach

Slacker

Everyone that lives here in Rockaway or along the coast knows that swimming at night and being drunk at the same time = Death..

I do not understand how people can't respect the power of these riptides... R.I.P who ever you are!!

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/...beach-1.1364521

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 12 2009, 10:26 PM)
Hey Bobby, it was nice talking earlier. Knowing where you live, it's sad to hear about this kind of thing. sad.gif

People need to use better judgment!!

Sadly, when it's come to this alot of people lack judgement when they are lit and they think because they are in the water waist deep they can't drown...

QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 13 2009, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 12 2009, 10:26 PM)
Hey Bobby, it was nice talking earlier. Knowing where you live, it's sad to hear about this kind of thing. sad.gif

People need to use better judgment!!

Sadly, when it's come to this alot of people lack judgement when they are lit and they think because they are in the water waist deep they can't drown...

Oh, and it was great talking with you, Greg!!..

When people are drunk, they do stupid things. I can certainly vouch for that!

People should just get it into their heads that swimming in the ocean at night is a bad idea...period. Especially when lifeguards are not on duty.

I know the area you're talking about Bob. The currents along there are very tricky. The sands shift all the time, and there can be an undercurrent that is very strong. The same holds true along much of Long Island and the Jersey Shore. In some places, you can take one step and be up to your neck in water.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 13 2009, 03:09 PM)
At the risk of sounding insensitive, wouldn't this be a case of natural selection?

Seriously.....going out into rip currents when drunk is Darwin Awards kind of material.

Well they certainly wouldn't be able to except it themselves!!

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 13 2009, 04:05 PM)

People should just get it into their heads that swimming in the ocean at night is a bad idea...period. Especially when lifeguards are not on duty.

I know the area you're talking about Bob. The currents along there are very tricky. The sands shift all the time, and there can be an undercurrent that is very strong. The same holds true along much of Long Island and the Jersey Shore. In some places, you can take one step and be up to your neck in water.

I beg to differ. I never do anything stupid when I'm drunk.

bolt.gif

Sad news about this person - and the amount of people being drowned by the power of the riptides this year. That's crazy. sad.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 13 2009, 03:47 PM)

bolt.gif

Sad news about this person - and the amount of people being drowned by the power of the riptides this year. That's crazy. sad.gif

Speaking of the beach? When are you guy's coming for the day?

QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 13 2009, 04:48 PM)

bolt.gif

Don't know if we can. sad.gif

The van has been out of commission for most of July and August. It's still being worked on, with hopes it will be ready for the long trip to NC in another week. With all the money we're putting into it... it had better be.

QUOTE (Pags @ Aug 13 2009, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 13 2009, 04:48 PM)

bolt.gif

Don't know if we can. sad.gif

The van has been out of commission for most of July and August. It's still being worked on, with hopes it will be ready for the long trip to NC in another week. With all the money we're putting into it... it had better be.

Just enjoy your trip down south!!

Archived