Actors that are good

treeduck

As an alternative to Tick's thread here's this one about actors from THIS era (aged 35-55ish) who I actually like. I prefer actors from the old days personally, (age over 55-unlimited), the ones that I watched growing up such as (in no particular order):

Robert Mitchum

Jimmy Stewart

Jack Lemmon

Walter Matthau

Clint Eastwood

Marlon Brando

Henry Fonda

Carry Grant

Robert De Niro

Al Pacino

Gene Hackman

Dennis Hopper

Gregory Peck

Steve McQueen

James Garner

Anthony Hopkins

Lee Marvin

Richard Burton

Eli Wallach

Jack Nicholson

Kirk Douglas

Burt Lancaster

Dustin Hoffman

Robert Duvall

Edward G Robinson

Jimmy Cagney

Alec Guiness

Lawrence Olivier

Charles Bronson

Michael Caine

Christopher Lee

James Coburn

Sean connery

David Niven

Bill Murray

Paul Newman

Charton Heston

Christopher Walken

Martin Sheen

Charles Grodin

and many more that would take to long to mention, but you get the idea.

I can't stand a lot of todays actors, but in an effort to be more positive I'm going to list the actors of today's generation, roughly around my age range, (35-55) who I really rate...(again just in the order that they come to mind)

Willem Dafoe

Kevin Spacey

Russell Crowe

Robert Downey jnr

Christian Bale

Samuel L Jackson (he's 60 but he only really emerged in the early 90s)

Johnny Depp

Sean Penn

Ed Norton

Laurence Fishburn

Guy Pierce

Kevin Bacon

Ray Liotta

Ed Harris

Christian Slater

Gary Oldman

Tim Roth

Mickey Rourke (56 but only just over the "age range")

Michael Rosenbaum

John C Reily

Don Cheadle

Denzel Washington

Forrest Whitaker

Halle Berry (no I didn't just add her cos she's hot eyesre4.gif)

There's more than this but that'll do, add your faves from THIS era, remember around age 35-55...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pretty much covered the whole ball of wax.

The ones I'm scratching my head at are...

Guy Pierce (Dry)

Ray Liota (Whats any good of his, besides Goodfellas ? Which he was awesome in, by the way)

Christian Slater (Are you joking ?)

Kevin Bacon (nada gada cut loose, foot loose)

Those are the only ones that do little for me.

Edited by tick

Here's a few;

Will Smith

Jack Black

Billy Bob Thornton

Sandra Bullock

... how old is Alan Rickman?

Johnny Depp

Just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure I can think of more. I like the "older guys" too. Huge Clint Eastwood fan. Waiting to see Gran Torino.

i'm sure there are those who will hate on them, but i think these two actors in particular are completely brilliant when they do serious roles. It makes me wonder why they ever would do a dumb comedies again:

Robin Williams (Moscow on the Hudson, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, The Birdcage, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, etc.)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2009, 06:25 PM)
You pretty much covered the whole ball of wax.
The ones I'm scratching my head at are...
Guy Pierce (Dry)
Ray Liota (Whats any good of his, besides Goodfellas ? Which he was awesome in, by the way)
Christian Slater (Are you joking ?)
Kevin Bacon (nada gada cut loose, foot loose)

Those are the only ones that do little for me.

Well when I think Slater I think that film True Romance...I'm sure there was something else...

unsure.gif

Guy I thought did a very good job in LA Confidential (I'd read the book and was VERY sceptical), plus he was good in this aussie film a few years back The Proposition and Memento which was weird but interesting, oh and that cannibal film Ravenous With Robert Carlyle who should be on the list probably.

I forgot Daniel Day Lewis too...

Ray Liotta? You do have a point actually, I just looked him up on wiki, Hmmm he was pretty good in Hannibal errrr. Well there was this TV show called Smith which I liked before it got cancelled. The thing is he should be good, maybe he's just not picking the right parts? I dunno.

Kevin bacon was a great bad guy in The River Wild, he's done a few other good bad guy roles here and there...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 06:34 PM)
i'm sure there are those who will hate on them, but i think these two actors in particular are completely brilliant when they do serious roles. It makes me wonder why they ever would do a dumb comedies again:

Robin Williams (Moscow on the Hudson, Good Morning Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, What Dreams May Come, The Birdcage, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, etc.)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

There's not one single Robin Williams film that I've ever really liked, including his biggies like Dead Poets and Good Morning Vietnam. I just don't get him at all. Even that one with De Niro was a dud. Seriously Goobs I've tried to like this guy as an actor and it just doesn't happen, maybe he has talent but just don't see it. Maybe he should go back to stand-up??

The only film that I halfway liked of his was Insomnia with Al Pacino, he was surprisingly ok in that...

Jim Carrey should stick to face pulling, mugging for the camera and impressions...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 06:28 PM)
that haven't already been mentioned:

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

I've not seen enough of Hoffman to know, what I've seen yeah he seems solid...

I've never liked William Hurt much, always saw compared him to the better Hurt, John Hurt, who should be on my good oldie list...

I don't know the other guy...

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 7 2009, 07:30 PM)
Here's a few;

Will Smith
Jack Black
Billy Bob Thornton
Sandra Bullock
... how old is Alan Rickman?
Johnny Depp

Just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure I can think of more. I like the "older guys" too. Huge Clint Eastwood fan. Waiting to see Gran Torino.

Thats a great hit or miss actors list

Will Smith can be very good, or he can stink.

Jack Black is also hit or miss.

Billy Bob Thornton is another sometimes good, sometimes bad actor.

You just came up with another good thread. Actors that are great, but can also suck ass !

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 07:45 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

I've never liked William Hurt much, always saw compared him to the better Hurt, John Hurt, who should be on my good oldie list...

Paul Giamatti is a supreme actor !

QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Jan 7 2009, 06:46 PM)
Tom Hanks is a fine actor.

I think he's overrated. I liked him as lightweight comedy actor in the 80s in stuff like The Burbs. Then all of a sudden he got two oscars for two bad films and suddenly people were comparing him to Spencer Tracy (who should be on my oldie list) and that's blasphemy to me. He's just not in that league. Another Robin Williams. I just don't get these guys at all...

I'd prefer to watch Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan, who probably should be on the list too...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 04:45 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

William Hurt was in a string of great movies in the 80's - Altered States, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, Broadcast News, The Accidental Tourist...

No wonder he used to be my favorite actor!

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a genius imho - I've never seen him be anything but completely brilliant. As good and as versatile as Sean Penn...

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2009, 06:49 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

Is he? Maybe I know his face, if not I'll look for the name in future.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 04:45 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

William Hurt was in a string of great movies in the 80's - Altered States, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, Broadcast News, The Accidental Tourist...

No wonder he used to be my favorite actor!

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a genius imho - I've never seen him be anything but completely brilliant. As good and as versatile as Sean Penn...

I still prefer John Hurt who is superior actor.

I'm not keen on any of those films either except Broadcast News which is excellent and he did a good job as the talentless good looking one..coincidentally...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 07:52 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/giamatti-paul-photo-paul-giamatti-6227177.jpg

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 7 2009, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 07:52 PM)

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Paul Giamitti
William Hurt

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/giamatti-paul-photo-paul-giamatti-6227177.jpg

Oh yeah I may well have confused him with that dick Rob Schneider he looks a bit like him...

I've not seen a lot of him though, was he in that singing one in a club? That was pretty good...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 06:41 PM)

Jim Carrey should stick to face pulling, mugging for the camera and impressions...

NO! No, no no no. No more faces, please! No more Ace Ventura! Please!

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jan 7 2009, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 06:41 PM)

NO! No, no no no. No more faces, please! No more Ace Ventura! Please!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 7 2009, 06:34 PM)
i'm sure there are those who will hate on them, but i think these two actors in particular are completely brilliant when they do serious roles.  It makes me wonder why they ever would do a dumb comedies again:

There's not one single Robin Williams film that I've ever really liked, including his biggies like Dead Poets and Good Morning Vietnam. I just don't get him at all. Even that one with De Niro was a dud. Seriously Goobs I've tried to like this guy as an actor and it just doesn't happen, maybe he has talent but just don't see it. Maybe he should go back to stand-up??

The only film that I halfway liked of his was Insomnia with Al Pacino, he was surprisingly ok in that...

oh well, can't win 'em all...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 7 2009, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Turn Me On Dead Man @ Jan 7 2009, 06:46 PM)
Tom Hanks is a fine actor.

I think he's overrated. I liked him as lightweight comedy actor in the 80s in stuff like The Burbs. Then all of a sudden he got two oscars for two bad films and suddenly people were comparing him to Spencer Tracy (who should be on my oldie list) and that's blasphemy to me. He's just not in that league. Another Robin Williams. I just don't get these guys at all...

I'd prefer to watch Ernest Borgnine and Robert Ryan, who probably should be on the list too...

Big, Punchline, A League of Their Own, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, That Thing You Do!, Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile, Catch Me If You Can, etc. - all great movies and all great performances IMHO. And that's not to mention several movies that I didn't love, but still loved his acting. He's top notch in my book...