Warren Miller's ski movies

Necromancer

Has anyone seen those extreme skiing documentary/films that Warren Miller makes? There's a ton of them.

They are so cool. I don't give a rat's ass for skiing either, but the cinemetography on these things is off the charts. Totally beautiful stuff.

And the craziness of the skiiers is also off the charts. These guys go to places that you either have to be dropped from a helicopter or climb. No ski-lifts on THESE mountains. no.gif

If you get a chance, check them out. I see them on the Encore network on my dish. They've been playing all the ones he makes, so you don't usually even see the same one twice. I guess he's been around awhile and has made tons of these cinematic masterpieces.

Oh yeah... and the soundtracks usually kick ass too. 1022.gif

love them and love to ski. great photograghy and usually pretty funny. the ones with Glen Plake when he was young are killer.

I did the ski bum thing after college from 89 to 2004 in Breckenridge CO.

Not saying that I could/can ski as well as the guys in the videos but I have definitely spent a good amount of time skiing some sick powder. Never used a helicopter but have skinned into back country areas on my telemark skis.

QUOTE (tangy @ Dec 31 2008, 02:55 PM)
love them and love to ski. great photograghy and usually pretty funny. the ones with Glen Plake when he was young are killer.

I did the ski bum thing after college from 89 to 2004 in Breckenridge CO.

Not saying that I could/can ski as well as the guys in the videos but I have definitely spent a good amount of time skiing some sick powder. Never used a helicopter but have skinned into back country areas on my telemark skis.

I don't ski at all, but I envy these folks for living the way they want and having such a great time, surrounded by all that beauty.

The cinemetography is what keeps me watching it.

I used to watch those on 8mm back in the day...waaaaaay before the extreme stuff...those are great movies.

I don't know if he still does it but Warren used to have a recurring joke on his narration. Whenever he referred to the past, he would state, "In those days, my face was smooth and my pants were baggy. Now my pants are smooth and my face is baggy."

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Jan 1 2009, 10:19 AM)
I don't know if he still does it but Warren used to have a recurring joke on his narration. Whenever he referred to the past, he would state, "In those days, my face was smooth and my pants were baggy. Now my pants are smooth and my face is baggy."

From what I read, he's in bad health and they take snippets of things he's already recorded to use on the newer ones. I've noticed that the newer ones have some other guy LIVE on scene, doing the talking.

He's in his eighty's I guess.

Skiing is such a great sport. And I'm not even that good at it. Breathtaking views, fresh powder, and sunshine...what other sports do you get all that? I often thought that Geddy's solo album is quite good while going down a run...melodic with a cool sense of atmosphere

I've watched most of them through the years as i grew up in a ski town - Big bear Lake - I got to watch them film there once - I don't care for the son as a narrator he's nothing like his father - I could listen to his father for hours - He just knows how to tell a story, his son is a little monotone -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 1 2009, 06:18 PM)
I've watched most of them through the years as i grew up in a ski town - Big bear Lake - I got to watch them film there once - I don't care for the son as a narrator he's nothing like his father - I could listen to his father for hours - He just knows how to tell a story, his son is a little monotone -

Ahhh... maybe i'm listening to the son. I've never seen any of the real old ones. I've seen about three now.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 2 2009, 08:52 PM)
THis is the son speaking first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGegopygWE4

THis is the dad Much more entertaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rj_pmCt4Io&feature=related

Yeah... the ones I've seen are the dad. I've heard the kid too though I think.

Thanks for the comparison clips. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jan 2 2009, 08:57 PM)
You want insane watch this Warren miller clip narrated by dad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMAzJ36Ku8&NR=1

We need a new word. INSANE doesn't cut it when you're referring to these guys. biggrin.gif

And how about the copter dude? I woulda' shit my pants if he pulled a descent like that with me in the cockpit. scared.gif cat.gif

laugh.gif

I have seen this full feature though. Awesome movie. I hope they keep playing all of them and not just the most recent ones. Seems they play at least two different ones each weekend. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif