SOME MEN FAVOR HANDGUNS OVER WOMEN

Cygnus

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 18 2005, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 02:06 PM)
By the way if your so mocho about it

Dood, look at this picture, if you were a bear would you mess with someone so confident and macho? When people are scared they put off a smell that animals can sense and I could get by with being around dangerous animals because I'm not a scaredy cat. cat.gif

I mean look at it dood, I'm a macho, macho duck!!!!!! rofl3.gif

http://img144.exs.cx/img144/7934/ronald7ir.jpg

By the way I caught a 4 1/2 lb smallmouth bass that day on that lake!!!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 02:28 PM)
rofl3.gif That's funny  rofl3.gif  I would like to see try that on KODIAK ISLAND  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  Your next trip to the store would be bying a new pair of underware rofl3.gif If you even survived!!!

Are the bears meaner on that island or something?

How many bears have you had to shoot in defense in your lifetime? Or did you just pistolwhip the crap out of them and it intimidated them enough to run off with their tails between their legs? rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Oh my that's funny anyway, we will have agree to disagree and I suggest you research Kodiak Island it is what you might call Bear Capital of the World and might I ad not so pleasant to try and scare off. Also, I don't alway's carry a gun in the wilderness it depends on the territory I am in"COMMON SENSE" yes.gif And by the way... Did I miss something here confused13.gif who called you a Pussy must have been something yuo assumed. Have a nice day trink39.gif

troutman & the beagle

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 02:44 PM)
rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  rofl3.gif  Oh my that's funny anyway, we will have agree to disagree and I suggest you research Kodiak Island it is what you might call Bear Capital of the World and might I ad not so pleasant to try and scare off. Also, I don't alway's carry a gun in the wilderness it depends on the territory I am in"COMMON SENSE" yes.gif  And by the way... Did I miss something here confused13.gif  who called you a Pussy must have been something yuo assumed. Have a nice day trink39.gif

troutman & the beagle

No, I didn't assume that I was the pussy.......You are all mixed up on that one, I'm not sure how you spinned it that way. confused13.gif

I don't even own a gun.

4 1/2 lb smallmouth isn't too shabby is it? I'm going back in late may. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 03:06 PM)
You wouldn't happen to be related to"Chuck Schummer" wolud you, just curious???

Why is he macho too?

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 04:46 PM)
Not quite... that would be TED NUGENT yes.gif

So what you are telling us is that you have a "THING" for ol Ted? He's macho huh? Cool, I never noticed. laugh.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 02:44 PM)
rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Oh my that's funny anyway, we will have agree to disagree and I suggest you research Kodiak Island it is what you might call Bear Capital of the World and might I ad not so pleasant to try and scare off.

The man speaks the truth. Take it from someone who has lived on Kodiak. You don't go into the backcountry without a shootin' iron. A hefty one. I carried a Colt .44 and a Winchester .30 30.

Thanks, Jack Aubrey, you know you try to make sense with this type of thinking and you just have to shake your head. By the way he didn't even understand the Chuck Schumer or the Ted Nugent comment rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

troutman and the beagle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/105_0513.jpg

What do bears think of humans? "Mmmm, chewy on the outside, crunchy on the inside." I think I'll just give them a wiiiiiiiiide berth, thank you. I have no urges to end my life as an hor d'oerve for anything. That's why I don't get in the ocean, you're just a floating buffet once you're in there. Debe's rule of survival...If it has more teeth than you, leave it alone. scared.gif

How many bears have anyone on this website had to shoot because they were getting attacked? Why don't anyone ever answer my questions? I would stay on that island for a week without a gun and live to tell about it. I would hang my pack and I would burn all my trash from the food I had as soon as I ate it. Are the bears meaner in Alaska? That's another question that havent been answered. A lot of people claim they wouldn't go to the part of Canada that I do without a gun, I laugh at them also.

Injuries to Humans - Grizzly Bears

Grizzly bear-inflicted injuries to humans in developed areas averaged approximately 1 per year during the 1930's through the 1950's and 4 per year during the 1960's. Grizzly bear-caused human injuries in developed areas then decreased to 1 injury every 2 years (0.5/year) during the 1970's. In the last 18 years (1980-1997), there has been only 1 grizzly bear-caused human injury within a developed area.

Human injuries from grizzly bears in the backcountry, a rare occurrence before 1970, have increased to an average of 1 per year from 1970 through 1997. The increase in backcountry injuries may be related to the increase in backcountry recreational use since the early 1970's.

For some reason, Menstruating Women and bears don't mix.

On the evening of August 13, 1967, two women were attacked and killed by grizzly bears (Ursus arctos horribilis) in separate incidents within Glacier National Park (GNP). Following these incidents, there was speculation that due to odors associated with menstruation, women may be more prone to attack by bears than are men (Rogers et al. 1991).

The objective of this paper is to present the data available on this subject so that women can make an informed choice when deciding whether or not to hike and/or camp in bear country during their menstrual period.

Polar Bears

In a study designed to test the hypothesis that bears are attracted to the odors of menstruation, Cushing (1983) reported that when presented with a series of different odors (including seal scents, other food scents, non menstrual human blood, and used tampons), four captive polar bears (Ursus maritimus) elicited a strong behavioral response only to seal scents and menstrual odors (used tampons).

Cushing (1983) also reported that free-ranging polar bears detected and consumed food scent samples and used tampons, but ignored non menstrual human blood and unused tampons. This suggests that polar bears are attracted to odors associated with menstrual blood.

Grizzly Bears

Herrero (1985) analyzed the circumstances of hundreds of grizzly bear attacks on humans, including the attacks on the two women in GNP, and concluded that there was no evidence linking menstruation to any of the attacks. The responses of grizzly bears to menstrual odors has not been studied experimentally.

Black Bears

Rogers et al. (1991) recorded the responses of 26 free-ranging black bears (Ursus americanus) to used tampons from 26 women and the responses of 20 free ranging black bears to four menstruating women at different days of their flow.

Menstrual odors were essentially ignored by black bears of all sex and age classes. In an extensive review of black bear attacks across North America, no instances of black bears attacking or being attracted to menstruating women was found (Cramond 1981, Herrero 1985, Rogers et al. 1991).

Read more here.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/campw_bears.html

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 18 2005, 07:24 PM)
Thanks, Jack Aubrey, you know you try to make sense with this type of thinking and you just have to shake your head. By the way he didn't even understand the Chuck Schumer or the Ted Nugent comment rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

troutman and the beagle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/105_0513.jpg

That trout is tagged.

QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 18 2005, 08:23 PM)

Cushing (1983) reported that when presented with a series of different odors (including seal scents, other food scents, non menstrual human blood, and used tampons), four captive polar bears (Ursus maritimus) elicited a strong behavioral response only to seal scents and menstrual odors (used tampons).

Who in the Hell donated the tampons for this project?

Sorry indica, I was just saying that I'm gonna respect them enough to not tempt fate. If it's not my element, I'm not gonna get in it if I can help it.

I also try not to stand under trees when it rains, although the odds of getting hit by lightening are pretty low, they tend to go up IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL.

So while it's highly unlikely I'll ever get attacked by a bear, the odds go considerably higher in my favor if I avoid areas they may be in. Ditto for the sharks...nil sharks in Missouri.

I'm not advocating shooting them, I'm advocating giving them the respect they deserve. It's their forest and welcome to it.

QUOTE (debe @ Feb 18 2005, 08:32 PM)

Cushing (1983) reported that when presented with a series of different odors (including seal scents, other food scents, non menstrual human blood, and used tampons), four captive polar bears (Ursus maritimus) elicited a strong behavioral response only to seal scents and menstrual odors (used tampons).

Who in the Hell donated the tampons for this project?

Sorry indica, I was just saying that I'm gonna respect them enough to not tempt fate. If it's not my element, I'm not gonna get in it if I can help it.

I also try not to stand under trees when it rains, although the odds of getting hit by lightening are pretty low, they tend to go up IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL.

So while it's highly unlikely I'll ever get attacked by a bear, the odds go considerably higher in my favor if I avoid areas they may be in. Ditto for the sharks...nil sharks in Missouri.

I'm not advocating shooting them, I'm advocating giving them the respect they deserve. It's their forest and welcome to it.

Yes, the first thing you do is try to understand why a bear would attack a human. If someone doesn't feel comforable in the wilderness, by all means don't go!!!! If you feel like you might need to shoot an animal then I think that maybe you should just stay at home too.

I'm not sure who donated the tampons though, lol.

How many bears have anyone on this website had to shoot because they were getting attacked? Why don't anyone ever answer my questions? I would stay on that island for a week without a gun and live to tell about it. I would hang my pack and I would burn all my trash from the food I had as soon as I ate it. Are the bears meaner in Alaska? That's another question that havent been answered. A lot of people claim they wouldn't go to the part of Canada that I do without a gun, I laugh at them also.

Hey man, if you want to go to Kodiak or the Alaskan interior without a gun, then more power to you. I was just saying what I (and every one else I knew) did whenever we went out into the wilderness. I saw lots of bears in Kodiak (all from far away), but never had a problem with any of them. The bottom line is that bears are unpredictable, and carrying a gun while you are in their territory is just a safety measure. It's not like we were walking around looking for bears to shoot, just like bears aren't walking around looking for people to eat. Are the bears meaner in Alaska? According to local knowledge they sure are.

I think of it this way...If someone broke into my house, I'm gonna do everything I can to protect myself. I figure the animals in the woods feel the same way.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 18 2005, 08:43 PM)

Hey man, if you want to go to Kodiak or the Alaskan interior without a gun, then more power to you.

I do want to. I've been wanting to go up there on a camping/fishing trip some day. Canada is a lot closer so I usualy just go there and catch fish all day and see moose, bears, loons, etc, etc. I love it.

Plus, when you have faith in God like I do, then you aren't scared of things like this. You know that God is watching over you and helping protect you. Jesus didn't need a gun, and neither do I. It's all about having faith in the lord. When you get to this point and you know, then you are fearless, like me.

cool.gif

Archived