Detroit JLA show

spindrifting

I just had to find a Rush forum so I could share my thoughts on the show at the Joe.

This was my first Rush concert in a seemingly unbelievable 12 years (T4E in Grand Rapids) and my 3rd overall. I was so disappointed to miss the last visits to Detroit because of work, there was no way I was going to miss them this time through the motor city work be damned........work took care of that since they fired everyone. Yay ?

I'm a lifelong RedWings fans so just getting to finally set foot in the JLA was a treat for me, I've always lived to far away to really make it down for other concerts or hockey games. So the RedWing fan inside of me enjoyed the virtual museum of Detroit hockey history to start with.

Then the show started...........and much like the boys did at the Palace for their Roll The Bones tour, they blew me away. It had been a long time (too long) since I'd felt the thumping rythms from Neil in my chest the piercing screams from Alex and the rolling plucking from Geddy's bass. Too long indeed. It was like a symphony to me.

I had reservations about the accustics in the Joe, it is an old arena now (wow is it starting to look it) and while I think the first part of show the accoustics were very loud and rough......the second half was terrific, so either they fixed it or my ears adjusted.

The young man on my right (we'll call him Jeff) was attending his first Rush concert, by chance he was downtown Detroit interviewing for a job and decided to try his luck at getting a ticket. $5.......are you freaking kidding me? He and I talked a bit before the show and again at intermission. His words "I had no idea". I told him that the last half of the second half would blow him away and he didn't think that was possible.

On my left I had two drunk aholes who seemed to only be there to mock the band and complain about the setlist and hear the classics. Really the only damper on my night, fortunately they left after TWTWB......so they missed the best parts........and deserved to. Around me I had a father and son, late 40's early 20's, who seemed to really be enjoying sharing their musical taste and some herbal remedies. The best site for me was the preppy looking soccer mom and husband who brought their two kids (12 and 9 maybe).......the mom was bobbing her head back forth to every song. The youngest spent most of the show with his fingers in his ears. But I got a big kick out of them. Such a diverse group.

My only complaint about the setlist would be purely selfish and thats the lack of songs from Vaportrails. Since I hadn't heard any of those live in person. I would love to have heard Ghostrider, Earthshine or Secret Touch.......love those. Also would have preferred Entre Nous to Ghost of a Chance. Otherwise I have no complaints.

The show took off for me with Red Barchetta, something about that one just sounds so great live. Between the Wheels was also a highlight, can't remember seeing that one in the previous two concerts, but was highly impressed with it on S&A live. Great lighting, and Alex sounded superb, so it surely did not disappoint.

I practically memorized the setlist before the show (thanks internet) so I was really looking forward to the second half of the show. Far Cry was my fav off S&A from the moment I hit play back when I bought it, and the live version was excellent. What a powerfull song to bring folks back in their seats.

I really like S&A, so the first 5 songs of the 2nd half were terrific to me, they all sound so great live, its really hard to even explain. I was very impressed with Working them Angels and all the great visions on the screens. Sprindrift was also even better than I expected but I think TWTWB is musically one of the better tunes off the new CD and it sounded GREAT live. As did all the songs from S&A, the instumentals are amazing as well.

Of course the classics began at this point, and the JLA really came alive with Subdivisions........I guess Detroiters can relate to the message in that one. I had forgotten Natural Science was in the set so of course I went a bit nuts when Alex started those bars.........sounds so good Live.

Neils solo was of course spectacular..........nothing to do but bow humbly, and raise a mythical glass of MacCallen's.

The house came down with Spirit of Radio, 2112 and Tom Sawyer.....as always I'm sure. I thought the encore selection of songs is somewhat unique but I loved hearing One little Victory. YYZ is of course perhaps the best finishing song out there.............and it was over. So powerfull, so musical, just so outstanding.

Bravo Rush, you blew me away again.

Back to my new friend 'Jeff', who was quite literally sitting there after the show with the biggest damn grin I'd ever seen on a stranger. He loved everything from the music to the lighting and effects. There's little doubt he was blown away by the performance and is now perhaps a bonified Rushead.

Just a little addendum......

I lost my father to cancer a couple years ago, a real 'suddenly you were gone' moment in my life. Its affected me greatly and its just been quite frankly a terrible couple of years. I've really just been drifting around mentally or 'spindrifting'. When I heard Rush was extending the S&A tour I of course immediately looked for the Detroit date and made plans to attend the show.

I also spent some time learning more about the band, watching old interviews, performances......(thanks youtube). Just generally trying to reaquint myself with the music, which I sometimes put away for weeks or even months at a time. While walking through a book store I thought I'd look for Neil's book Ghostrider, sure enough it was there, and just felt I had to buy it.

I'm not really sure why I bought it, maybe just hopeing to get to know how Neil returned to the band and some of the things he struggled with. Or maybe I was just hopeing it would help me. Maybe it was just as simple as trying to be a Rush sponge and soak up everything Rush related.

I read the book cover to cover in 3 nights, twice reading untill 4 am. Its a good read, lots of thoughts, emotions and surprising moments I can relate to. Its a good read, one I'd recommend to many people, Rush fans or not.

Somewhere along the way I had learned that the back to back gigs were the toughest on the band, and that they tried to avoid them as best they could. Maybe even dreaded them a little. So I wasn't really sure what to expect from them in Detroit the night after Chicago. Early on it looked like maybe they were just slogging through the first 2 or 3 songs, but they quickly seemed to really get into the show. I got a good sense the band was enjoying performing for the Detroit crowd. That made me happy.

After reading Neils book, I spent a lot of time watching him, trying to get a sense for whether he was enjoying himself. By the 3rd stick toss, I was comfortable that he was 'into' it. Maybe its weird but I truely respect the guy even more now than ever. Its so great to see this band of 3 guys still performing at such a high level when others their ages have long faded away.

How can 3 guys make so much noise together. Amazing.

PS Sorry this turned so long, but hey alot to get off my pea brain. wacko.gif

I'm already looking for ways to catch one of the upcoming shows in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Indianapolis.

wow, cool!! welcome to the board and thanks for sharing! trink39.gif

smile.gif Welcome to TRF spindrifting, you will really enjoy it here. trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

bekloppt.gif from a fellow Michigander!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the show. was a pleasure to read.

Welcome to TRF.

Archived