Mike Oldfield

Not sure whether or not to call it the official thread(I searched and searched but to no avail. Surely someone started one?)

Anyway, this guy is a total legend!!

Been listening to the entirely fabulous Discovery all day(To France & Saved By A Bell 2 of the finest).

The Changeling, his autobiography, is well worth checking out. His mother's people hail from Cork!!! Can't beat a bit of Irish blood coursing through your veins!

Has anyone bought Music Of The Spheres yet? It's a grower.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 9 2008, 03:21 PM)
Not sure whether or not to call it the official thread(I searched and searched but to no avail. Surely someone started one?)
Been listening to the entirely fabulous Discovery all day(To France & Saved By A Bell 2 of the finest).
The Changeling, his autobiography, is well worth checking out. His mother's people hail from Cork!!! Can't beat a bit of Irish blood coursing through your veins!

Over in NWW we have a thread that contains quite a bit on Mr. Oldfield... but it's mostly a drool-fest and not exactly a discussion of his musical genius laugh.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jun 9 2008, 10:26 PM)

Over in NWW we have a thread that contains quite a bit on Mr. Oldfield... but it's mostly a drool-fest and not exactly a discussion of his musical genius laugh.gif

Yeah, I think that's mostly thanks to me, right? blush4.gif tongue.gif

But I do love him as a musician as well. wink.gif He is a big hero of mine.

Discovery always reminds me of when I used to work at TJ Hughes, I listened to it a lot then.

Changeling is a great book. I've only listened to Music Of The Spheres a couple of times so far, but I do like it. smile.gif

I cannot express enough love for Amarok, though! When I was at college I think I listened to this one almost every day on the way home. tongue.gif

I've been listening to Tubular Bells 2 again quite a bit lately. I love Altered State and The Bell.

But as some may know, (Gaac wink.gif ) my favourite Mike Oldfield song is Heaven Open. biggrin.gif

Hatchet, do you know the two songs of Mike's that Jon Anderson sang on? (In High Places and Shine)

I love Mike Oldfield. He's a great guitarist (he has such a distinctive sound, and how hot is that cherry Gibson?), and a great composer. I've been listening to Tubular Bells a lot lately, plus some of his more song-oriented stuff.

He's also sexy as hell. laugh.gif

It wasn't until illegal downloading that i was able to get my hands on his entire collection, thank god for Limewire -Of course now you can get everything on i-tunes which i do -

"Five miles out" still remains on of my favorites probably because of Maggie Reilly's angelic voice just sent shivers up my spine -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9ev7iPRPQ

Edited by alphseeker

The only Mike Oldfield I know is Tubular Bells, but I'm very familiar with that album. I used to listen to it at night at bedtime with the lights out. (Not that it "puts you to sleep" mind you; far from it!) Great album.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Jun 9 2008, 11:29 PM)
It wasn't until illegal downloading that i was able to get my hands on his entire collection,

Richard Branson ( waffen093.gif ) will be after you.. tongue.gif

AHA! Finally an Oldfield thread, you know, Jaye and I are also on an Oldfield forum wink.gif

I'll make it simple, the man's a genius! He can do every kinds of music and do it well, Prog, classic, new age, electro, pop etc...

His guitar playing is his best "thing", in fact he's the guy who gave me the idea of starting guitar. And his tone with that 63 SG Junior is simply perfect (I'm saving money to build a replica wink.gif ).

My favorites albums are TB1, Ommadawn Platinum Crisis, Amarok and The Songs of Distant Earth.

I hope he will amaze us again smile.gif

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jun 9 2008, 04:26 PM)

I just know Jaye is the leader of that thread! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jun 10 2008, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Jun 9 2008, 04:26 PM)

I just know Jaye is the leader of that thread! rofl3.gif

blush4.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Jun 10 2008, 05:06 PM)
AHA! Finally an Oldfield thread, you know, Jaye and I are also on an Oldfield forum wink.gif

I'll make it simple, the man's a genius! He can do every kinds of music and do it well, Prog, classic, new age, electro, pop etc...

His guitar playing is his best "thing", in fact he's the guy who gave me the idea of starting guitar. And his tone with that 63 SG Junior is simply perfect (I'm saving money to build a replica wink.gif ).

My favorites albums are TB1, Ommadawn Platinum Crisis, Amarok and The Songs of Distant Earth.

So which forum is that because I'm on an Oldfield forum too!

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 11 2008, 01:29 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jun 10 2008, 05:06 PM)

So which forum is that because I'm on an Oldfield forum too!

Tubular.net wink.gif

Is that the one you're on? smile.gif

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 11 2008, 01:57 AM)
Yep it is! It moves soooo slowly though, rather disappointing, especially when this forum is a flippin hive tongue.gif

This is true. tongue.gif

I don't go on Tubular.net that often anymore... too busy with TRF! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 11 2008, 01:07 AM)
QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 11 2008, 01:57 AM)
Yep it is! It moves soooo slowly though, rather disappointing, especially when this forum is a flippin hive tongue.gif

This is true. tongue.gif

I don't go on Tubular.net that often anymore... too busy with TRF! biggrin.gif

Ditto for me, I visit tubular.net like once a month now laugh.gif Whereas here Im on everyday tongue.gif

Question for you Oldfield nuts out there.

The single Shine, with the great Jon Anderson, does not appear on an album. (Or if it does please enlighten me) Is it available on a compilation? I've checked all compilations available, but no joy.

The 7" and 12" are available.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2008, 09:20 AM)
The single Shine, with the great Jon Anderson, does not appear on an album. (Or if it does please enlighten me) Is it available on a compilation? I've checked all compilations available, but no joy.

Can't answer your question but Mike's solo on that song is incredible -

Don't care that much for the song until the end it's a bit catchy because Mike plays his lead throughout the end -

Edited by alphseeker

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2008, 03:20 PM)

It is on the last compilation that was released, called The Platinum Collection. It's a 3-disc set, and Shine is on disc 3.

You can see the track info here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Platinum.jpg

smile.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 11 2008, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 11 2008, 03:20 PM)

It is on the last compilation that was released, called The Platinum Collection. It's a 3-disc set, and Shine is on disc 3.

You can see the track info here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Jett_Moonwing/Platinum.jpg

smile.gif

Doh! doh.gif

Thanks Jaye, I checked Elements and the one with the bird on the cover, didn't see this one!!

You're a star! Thanks.