Should I get any greatest hits CDs?

XXXB0BXXX

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 5 2008, 05:00 AM)
"I thought they [Mercury Records] did a really shoddy job in terms of the song order...purely chronological, and the artwork was lame." - Neil Peart on Chronicles

Mmmm.... Maybe he should've got more involved then.

Being a completist should only extend as far as owning their studio and live recordings. Best of/hits collections aren't offering any new product are they? So why do you feel you need those to be a completist? For the artwork and liner notes? You're kidding right? You can make your own compilations easily, so just do that.

Since you're such a fan and already have all their music from their proper releases, then may I suggest you take the money you're willing to waste on Rush and the corporations they work for (that already have more than enough money) and donate it to a charity. Your altruism would be appreciated by people who need money.

If not charities, then may I suggest you spend your excess cash on another artist that's just starting out in the biz and could use your support.

And if you don't wanna support a charity or another artist, then just support another Rush fan-- me.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jun 4 2008, 10:50 PM)
Make your own "Greatest Hits" playlist and burn it to CD! laugh.gif

yes.gif

From what I understand, Rush:Gold is just a re-issue of the two Retrospective CDs that came out about 10 years ago (with a couple songs switched around).

Supposedly it's been remastered too... but then so were the Retrospectives. How many times can you remaster something? lol

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 6 2008, 12:35 AM)
From what I understand, Rush:Gold is just a re-issue of the two Retrospective CDs that came out about 10 years ago (with a couple songs switched around).
Supposedly it's been remastered too... but then so were the Retrospectives. How many times can you remaster something? lol

I assumed those things were remastered anyway as in the first time round? Didn't they get the treatment when the rest of the catalogue did?

Yeah, all the albums were remastered in 97 and they also released the Retrospectives which were remastered. I've heard a lot of people saying the Rush:Gold is "better sounding" than any of the previous releases, but I don't really notice a difference. I don't have a high-end stereo though.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 4 2008, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Jun 4 2008, 09:23 PM)
I would say no with the exception of Chronicles.

You get live What You're Doing and Passage To Bangkok which were originally on ATWAS and ESL but left off so that both could be on one CD.

The remastered versions have those songs, so there's no need for Chronicles, unless you're a completionist. I am, but I got rid of mine anyway.

Did not know the remasters have What Your Doing and Bangkok. Thanks for the update. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif All this time I've been thinking all of the newer fans were missing out on these tunes.

So, if your ESL and ATWAS are the orginial CD's and not the remasters (or the LPs or cassettes), get Chronicles. Other than that, a definate waste.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the original cd's coming out when cd's only held 74 minutes. By the time the remasters came out, cd's could hold 80 minutes and thus adding back the omitted songs.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 5 2008, 03:53 AM)
I'm not one for Greatest Hits complilations but I like the art work for the last one they released. Haven't bought it though laugh.gif

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/hemispheres2005/51Vlw02JpQL_SS500_.jpg

That was my first album! I owe my Rush fanaticism to that album tongue.gif

I think compilation albums are great for introducing Rush to people smile.gif

QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Jun 7 2008, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 5 2008, 03:53 AM)
I'm not one for Greatest Hits complilations but I like the art work for the last one they released.  Haven't bought it though  laugh.gif

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/hemispheres2005/51Vlw02JpQL_SS500_.jpg

That was my first album! I owe my Rush fanaticism to that album tongue.gif

Same here! trink39.gif

(and it also made me a new friend at work tongue.gif )

Archived