Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 16 2008, 05:49 PM)
All it takes is one stalking, fanatical, wack job Rush fan to approach him.

You got that right hope......

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 16 2008, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 16 2008, 05:49 PM)
All it takes is one stalking, fanatical, wack job Rush fan to approach him.

You got that right hope......

Whack jobs amongst Rush fans?? Never. . . wink.gif

I have a feeling that guy is exaggerating, though to what extent is up for debate. He didn't get to talk to Neil so he goes running to the internet with his story of the incident because he's going to get attention, one way or another.

Oh well.... *sigh* eyesre4.gif

I could be wrong of course but that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 15 2008, 03:01 PM)
and here:

http://www.rushmessageboard.com/cpmb/index...ndpost&p=845794

thanks. that reminds me of why I don't go there any more. If Praetorian is truly Mosbach then you have a good example of why band members or their "entourage" should ignore message boards.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ May 16 2008, 08:53 PM)
I have a feeling that guy is exaggerating, though to what extent is up for debate. He didn't get to talk to Neil so he goes running to the internet with his story of the incident because he's going to get attention, one way or another.

Oh well.... *sigh* eyesre4.gif

I could be wrong of course but that's just my opinion.

I think you're right.

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ May 16 2008, 10:53 AM)
QUOTE (wrekinboy @ May 16 2008, 02:56 AM)
If one wanted to get a response from Neil then the last thing they should say is "Hi Neil". Immediately he knows that as this person is someone he had never seen before then they must have recognised him from Rush and he goes on the defensive, as it could be an annoying fan with requests for pictures, inane conversation etc.

However if they just treated him as a human being and said something like "Great show huh?" or "Can I get a light?" then there is much more chance of an interaction. Still may not work but at least it is not intimidating.

You bring up an excellent point...and from an experience I had once, it's just about right on the money!

Several years back when Page and Plant made "No Quarter", they were on Rockline or some national show, and I was fortunate enough to actually get through on the 800 number and was screened for what I was going to ask/say/talk about.

The last 15 callers all said the same thing..."You guys are the greatest...do you think you will ever put the 3 members together and tour as Zeppelin again...Jimmy you are the best guitarist ever....how long did it take you to make Dazed and Confused...." One rambling Zeppelin question after another and you could tell they were just sick of it and the calls lasted...45 seconds.

I had noticed that during the interview, they were speaking of the new music they made on No Quarter...with the Middle Eastern sounds and how they were inspired by that sound.

I had been to an Egyptian shop in New York about 2 years before that, and thought I'd let them know about it.

I got on the phone, and said hello...they both said "Hey...how's it going"

"Hey, have you guys ever been to The Clover Trading Company in New York? (I can't remember the exact name, but I believe that's it) They have some really great Egyptian items...etc etc"

I proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and they seemed like they were all over this conversation and just talked and talked away about the influences on the album, and asking me questions about the shop and other places I may have seen.

After I hung up, I remember thinking "Well, I just spent 10 minutes talking to a couple of rock legends, and they appeared to have been in to it". For me, what we talked about was really interesting and I don't believe they thought I was some crazed fan. The fact that I was listening to the show probably told them I was a fan.

That was a very long winded story, but at the end of it, I believe you are right. Perhaps if I ever saw Neil just standing around looking bored, and wanted to talk to him, I'd talk about motorcycles or something...anything BUT Rush and try to refrain from saying "You are the very best".

great post.

It illustrates that they are BORED of the things that interest us. If you ran into Neil in a neutral setting, did not let on that you knew who he was but got into a conversation about things that interest him somehow (like birds, mootorcycles, cactus, or Vertical Horizon) he would be "normal." Walking up and saying hi Neil puts him on the defensive. I love the posters on CP that just go on and on about how Neil should have reacted. They weren't there.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 16 2008, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (glover @ May 16 2008, 06:37 PM)
whatever...  one nutball can come up to me anytime...

if you can stand the heat...get out of the kitchen

tell us how you deal with the pressures of international fame

he just has Mel Gibson handle it since he is too old for that sh*t.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

Except Mel's name is pretty much dirt now. . .poor glover!

Actually, I work in media... I will tell you that I have been called out in public and I have always tried to be cordial. It takes a little work, but it is not that hard... If I am not up for it, I stay home... I honestly think Neil will lighten up someday...

QUOTE (glover @ May 16 2008, 11:59 PM)
Actually, I work in media... I will tell you that I have been called out in public and I have always tried to be cordial. It takes a little work, but it is not that hard... If I am not up for it, I stay home... I honestly think Neil will lighten up someday...

wub.gif with yourself

QUOTE (glover @ May 17 2008, 12:07 AM)
witty...

Go worship Neil...by yourself

I'll do that while you worship yourself.

BTW...read the previous posts before you decide to comment.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 17 2008, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (glover @ May 17 2008, 08:51 AM)
I read all the posts..what's your point?

That I am the last one to worship Neil.

Now I am!

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 17 2008, 08:53 AM)
QUOTE (glover @ May 17 2008, 08:51 AM)
I read all the posts..what's your point?

That I am the last one to worship Neil.

I think he's a great drummer and lyricist but I don't think about what cereal he likes for breakfast, or if he ties his right or left shoe first.

I like the musician.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 17 2008, 08:55 AM)
Neil's a good drummer and he's a good lyricist. But that's all.

Well, he's a better than good drummer, but not as good as he was- technically he may be better, but there isn't the exuberance there used to be IMHO.

And he's a less than good lyricist.

My life certainly would not be enhanced by any sort of meeting with him.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 17 2008, 09:55 AM)

Also a decent writer. I have enjoyed all of his books.

QUOTE (Smudger @ May 17 2008, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 17 2008, 08:55 AM)

Well, he's a better than good drummer, but not as good as he was- technically he may be better, but there isn't the exuberance there used to be IMHO.

And he's a less than good lyricist.

My life certainly would not be enhanced by any sort of meeting with him.

And you're on this board for what reason?