the Genesis thread

edgyspice

We needed an "official" Genesis thread, one that wasn't just about a specific album or "hay guyz I don't get this band" (no offense to the person that started the latter!).

I always dug Genesis but started getting into them heavily when I began listening to the Gabriel-era output in depth. I think that The Lamb is a masterpiece (see other thread), but my personal favorite is probably Nursery Cryme just for "Musical Box" and "The Fountain of Salmacis." My favorite albums besides that one are Trick of the Tail and Duke, although Wind and Wuthering is up there.

Also, Steve Hackett is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock, Y/Y?

Anyway, I have A LOT more to say about Genesis, but let's hear from everyone else first. laugh.gif

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are my faves. I remember first hearing about the tune "Dance on a Volcano" in a Geddy Lee interview for Guitar Player when Power Windows came out. He was comparing a Rush tune (forget which) to that song.

I absolutely love "ripples..." and "trick of the tail" and pretty much everything from Wind and Wuthering, particularly "eleventh earl of mar" and "blood on the rooftops"

As far as Gabriel era stuff, I think "Trespass", "Foxtrot", and "Selling England by the Pound" are my faves.

There are some tunes on their darkhorse debut "From Genesis to Revelation" that are pretty good. My fave has to be "A place to call my own"

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 8 2008, 03:32 PM)

There are some tunes on their darkhorse debut "From Genesis to Revelation" that are pretty good. My fave has to be "A place to call my own"

I have a copy of that which I haven't played all the way through yet. blush4.gif I do love a lot of the stuff from Trespass, which is pretty early. Especially "Stagnation" and of course "The Knife."

QUOTE (theworkingman @ May 8 2008, 03:34 PM)
My favorite song (at the moment) - Watcher of the Skies

YES. I heard a single version where they cut off the Mellotron opening-- I was like, "What's the point?"

Wind & Wuthering and Duke are among the greatest albums in my library. yes.gif

The Gabe stuff hasn't aged quite as well in my opinion (though neither has some of the Abacab-era pop stuff!)

This thread couldn't have come at a better time I simply cannot get Dance On A Volcano out of my head right now, awesome song from an even better album.

My personal preference, although I state it often, is the first two Phil Collins era Genesis although there is little negative to be said about anything between Nursery Cryme and Duke... mmm perhaps And Then There Were Three and Spot The Pigeon aren't excellent (But good).

I can only thank my good friend Matt for getting me into Genesis. My Dad an avid Phil Collins hater put me off them right from the start of my adventures into Prog Rock. When I introduced Matt to Rush a few months and a couple of digs through his Dad's LP collection later he comes back with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I am eternally grateful.

Genesis are in my eyes the undisputable second greatest band in the world, no prizes for guessing first place. Dare I say sometimes the two have come very close to being equal?

Although my delving into the solo careers of the Genesis members is not complete yet what I've heard from Peter, Phil (Early!) and Steve is marvellous and I've heard Tony delivers the goods too... Can I put up with Mike And The Mechanics, mmm... I'll take a Robert Fripp project instead! Hahaha.

And just because I'm an amatuer journalist who totally goes for the shamless self promotion...

Selling England By The Pound Review

Wind & Wuthering Review

Peter Gabriel 3/Melt Review

Okay, I'll shut up now.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ May 9 2008, 12:31 AM)
Rocinantekid is going to love this thread. laugh.gif

Hahaha yeah. You will either be extremely pleased or disgusted to know I have had my first orgasm all other this thread... just above.

It won't be the last.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 8 2008, 07:41 PM)
Rocinantekid is going to love this thread.  laugh.gif

Hahaha yeah. You will either be extremely pleased or disgusted to know I have had my first orgasm all other this thread... just above.

It won't be the last.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 8 2008, 07:38 PM)
Wind & Wuthering and Duke are among the greatest albums in my library.  yes.gif

The Gabe stuff hasn't aged quite as well in my opinion (though neither has some of the Abacab-era pop stuff!)

I agree about some of the Gabe-era stuff, mainly Lamb Lies Down. Selling England By The Pound still sounds good to me, and Genesis Live just smokes.

Also agree about the ABACAB and beyond stuff...although I never got into those albums in the first place, aside from a few songs.

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual...."

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Thank you 1001001 for the awesome avatar. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 8 2008, 04:41 PM)
Rocinantekid is going to love this thread.  laugh.gif

It won't be the last.

TMI...

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ May 8 2008, 11:44 PM)
"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual...."

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Thank you 1001001 for the awesome avatar. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Check out this post in another Genesis by lmnopqrstuvwxYYZ:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...dpost&p=1246129

tongue.gif

And your avatar ain't so bad either. "A GRAIL???"

Wait 70's era prog rock CAN age well?

IMO classic Yes, like alot of early King Crimson, and most Tull all fall into that "if i'm in the mood for a time capsule to the 70's..." it's probably the production or something.

Anyways... My favorite albums are Trespass, The Lamb, Foxtrot, and Abacab. Yes Abacab. After the poor consistancy and fairly repetitive lyrics that were Duke, Abacab packed some edgy complex sounding stuff (Me and Sarah Jane, Dodo) as well as the best pop stuff up to that point (Abacab, No Reply at All) plus just plain weirdness (everything else) the last two are a little dodgy but oh well.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ May 8 2008, 06:30 PM)
Trick of the Tail = their best album!!

That's the way that I see it too.

My favorite is the masterful Selling England by the Pound.

My second favorite Gabriel-era Genesis album though is Tresspass from 1970. You almost neveer hear anyone talk about this album, but it's a great one. Then again, I'm a HUGE fan of Time and a Word by Yes, another one that people completely neglecty, so take this for what it's worth. tongue.gif

Still, if you haven't heard it, you owe it to yourself to give Trespass a try. One of the unsung great ones imho...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2008, 09:52 AM)
My favorite is the masterful Selling England by the Pound.

My second favorite Gabriel-era Genesis album though is Tresspass from 1970. You almost neveer hear anyone talk about this album, but it's a great one. Then again, I'm a HUGE fan of Time and a Word by Yes, another one that people completely neglecty, so take this for what it's worth. tongue.gif

Still, if you haven't heard it, you owe it to yourself to give Trespass a try. One of the unsung great ones imho...

I totally agree about "Time and A Word".

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 8 2008, 07:32 PM)
I think that "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are my faves.

Me too!

I swear that for Hemispheres and AFTK, the Hackett influence on Alex is very prominent. I hear a style and bit of song structure similarity especially in The Trees middle section.

Follow up...the song that really hooked me into Genesis....Squonk.

I see Steve Hackett in your sig, Gompers. Good man, you have superior taste! biggrin.gif

(Off topic, but I love the animated gifs in your sig.)

It's cool to see so many other people who really love Trick of the Tail. Just a great album from start to finish.

I have a collection of Genesis videos on DVD that go as far back as "Trick of the Tail". From that album "Trick of the Tail", "...ripples", and "Robbery, Assault, and Battery" are featured videos. Pretty good stuff.

Archived