GTA4 Official Thread

The Owl

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (nimagraven @ May 6 2008, 03:24 AM)
Yup me too, but ease down on the spoilers, k? Some people aren't as far as you. biggrin.gif

Yeah guys please if we could keep spoilers toward the zero mark that would be great.

Take poor Uncle GE here for example. I've been so pee-hole slammed with work and other unfortunate predicaments that I barely got to try GTA on release day for an hour. Thursday I'm heading to a Rush trip in VEGAS for a few days so really I wont be able to dig into the game til the end of next week some time.

So unless you enjoy Molotov cocktails in your ass lets please keep plot elements to ourselves.

trink39.gif

Just finished the Game....well at least the main story. I really enjoyed the game, (the ending........kinda indiffrent towards) (You will know when you get there).

I'm probably going to be going back to COD4 for a while, before I work towards 100% completion.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 7 2008, 07:57 PM)
Here's a downloadable guide in PDF format:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J2MXXX6O

Very cool. It's for the 360, but easy enough to figure out.

Now that is awesome, thanks Storm Shadow! trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ May 7 2008, 10:54 PM)
Just finished the Game....well at least the main story. I really enjoyed the game, (the ending........kinda indiffrent towards) (You will know when you get there).

I'm probably going to be going back to COD4 for a while, before I work towards 100% completion.

COD4 is so f***ing addicting.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 8 2008, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ May 7 2008, 10:54 PM)
Just finished the Game....well at least the main story.  I really enjoyed the game, (the ending........kinda indiffrent towards) (You will know when you get there).

COD4 is so f***ing addicting.

COD4 really is an addicting game and I chalk it up to the whole XP / points / upgrade system and the multiplayer gameplay. It never gets old and never gets tiring. From what I have experienced, its relatively glitch-free too. That was what started to ruin SOCOM, the constant glitches whereby no multiplayer games were enjoyable with people shooting through walls and being invisble, etc. Also, with COD4, even though there are a relatively small set of maps, there are varied online modes that I find make even the lesser exciting maps more interesting to play.

With GTAIV out now, and Gran Turismo 5P out, its a great time to have a PS3...so many choices. I can finally put COD4 down (Prestige Level 5) and get absorbed in GTA.

I'm not too far into GTA in terms of the missions, I keep getting sidetracked by the multiplayer Free Mode and Party Modes. They are just too much fun. Last night I took some helicopters out and wreaked havoc on Algonquin. The observation deck on the Empire State building is fun. Theres a nice doppler effect on people's screams when you toss them 87 stories to the street yes.gif

things seem to have quieted down on the GTA4 front....either that, or everyone is out playing it rather than posting about it. For me personally, Ive taken a bit of a break from it. Time to check out the GRID demo, play a little Gran Tursimo 5: Prologue, and also dive back into some good COD4 multiplayer, or Haze.

Here's how I feel about GTA4 after a few weeks:

1.) Missions: They were enjoyable, none of them particularly difficulty, nor wildly different. I enjoyed some of the characters quite a bit. But often times I really just wanted to run off and brain some innocent bystanders. So thats just what I did. Tried to find every stunt jump and pigeon. Brain some more people en route. Head to the internet cafe for some dates but got distracted along the way and ended up with a 6-star wanted level for blowing up armored vehicles and killing the first 15 cops to show up on the scene. The missions...? What was I talking about again?

2.) Multiplayer. I'll be honest, the multiplayer is what drew me to GTA4. I bought Vice City but never picked up San Andreas because as a game, I really just eventually bore of a single player style game after a while. GTA4's multiplayer is both a blessing and a curse at the same time.

The Good: Without unlocking every party of Liberty City, you can freewheel around all parts of it and do whatever evil you feel compelled to do in multiplayer or party modes. There is relatively little lag and relatively fast match-making provided the hosts of the game don't abort

Edit: Why cant these game manufacturers allow for games hosted by one party be re-routed to the next person in the room when the hosts leave? Why must we all suffer when the host quits? This is no different for COD4 and the biggest complaint I have on the multiplayer aspects of both games to date

The Bad: The lack of a true "lobby" where you can meet and send friends invites, etc is huge IMO. It is way too cumbersome to get you and a few of your friends online into the same game, period. Party Mode is fraught with all kinds of connectivity issues for more than 2 players. The frequent game aborts when a host leaves is maddening.

After all is said and done, GTA4 is a great game. The multiplayer is good, but needs serious improvement to become as addicting as COD4, IMO. The series needs a better online matchmaking system and lobby, and R* needs to address all of the issues with online stats not updating, as well as the multitude of connection problems for people who have no issues with other online games.

All that said, it sure is great to have a bunch of worthwhile games out there now on both platforms, but specifically on the PS3. Having to spend a few minutes considering which title to put in the PS3 each night is a good problem to have.

Now....MGS4 is out in mere weeks!!

w00t!

After you beat GTA IV, there's not much to do, besides multiplayer. Still love it though. The game I'm most stoked for right now is Fallout 3. Bethesda really made a masterpiece with Oblivion, and I love the post-apocalyptic genre, so this is a must-have for me.

That was one thing about San Andreas had over GTA4..."what to do after you beat the game".

In san andreas there was still tons of shit to do after you finished the story.

Tanker Missions

Tagging, and Minding Horshoues, Oysters...picture taking

Races

Mountian Bike Races

Gang Warfare

Triathalons.....and so much more

Other than the pigions there isnt much supplemental to the single player in GTA4.

Even the Bullshitting around I felt was better in San Andreas.

You could fly planes, parachute, and even use a Jetpack.

I

I got the game on monday. I love it and i cant stop playing it.

Once i ramed into another car making the driver keep her foot on the petal causing her to ram into a ped.

Archived