Alex Lifeson to sell Toronto home

WCFIELDS

Rosedalians out walking the schnauzer this week were stopped in their tracks by the sight of real-estate agents playing air guitar in front of 18 Chestnut Park Rd.

The house is the residence of Alex Zivojinovic, a.k.a. Alex Lifeson, lead guitarist of the legendary Canadian prog-rock band Rush.

This week, it went up for sale, listed at $5.699-million, and Wednesday's agents' open house was as packed as an arena rock concert, with more than 80 realtors in attendance.

You could identify the fans among them by the way they tended to ignore such selling points as hardwood flooring and the Thermador Professional six-burner stove in favour of the large number of Junos lining the ground-floor library shelves. The trophies are surrounded by upholstered Queen Anne chairs, floral area rugs and paisley wallpaper - hardly the decor you would expect of a rock lord who is also part owner of the Orbit Room on College Street.

The 54-year-old son of Serbian immigrants (his stage name is a semi-literal translation of his birth name, meaning "life's son"), Mr. Zivojinovic won his share of Canada's top-ranking music awards as a seminal member of the Toronto-born rock trio that just this week launched its latest multi-disc release, Snakes & Arrows Live.

The album, a record of last year's world tour, hits local music stores just as Rush (the first rock group to collectively be made an Officer of the Order of Canada) is busy extending the tour with a string of performances south of the border. The band, which includes bassist Geddy Lee and drummer Neil Peart, plays the Arena in New Orleans today and the Woodlands Pavilion in Houston, Tex., tomorrow.

Torontonians wanting an up-close glimpse of these legends can hang around Rosedale, where Mr. Zivojinovic and Mr. Lee, also a Rosedale denizen, are frequently seen picking up their groceries at the Summerhill Market. But as far as Mr. Zivojinovic goes, they'll have to act fast as it's uncertain whether, after selling his house, the rocker will buy in the neighbourhood.

Word on his exclusive street, home to such leading lights as industrialist and philanthropist Walter Carsen, is that with his two children grown (including son Justin, with whom he was arrested in 2003 during an altercation with police at the Ritz Carlton in Naples, Fla.), Mr. Zivojinovic, like many empty-nesters, will be looking for a home smaller than the 6,000-square-foot behemoth that he has occupied for the past 10 years with wife Charlene.

Call it the rush to downsize.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 19 2008, 06:19 PM)
Ooh, interesting. I wonder where they'll be moving to.

Hm,, they are down grading houses, and there is a house for sale next door!

HAHA, ALEX IS OBVIOUSLY BUYING MY NEIGHBOORS HOUSE!

right?

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Apr 19 2008, 09:23 PM)
OK

That didn't work...do a google maps for

18 Chestnut Park Rd Toronto canada

That makes me feel like such a stalker... especially on satellite mode. laugh.gif The arrow might not actually be at his house, though, because I know when I looked up my own address once it was pointing at my neighbours'. Heh.

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Apr 19 2008, 05:58 PM)
tired of living in a mansion I take it?

thats interesting.

6000 sf is pretty modest considering that the current generation of pop/hip-hop/-c-rap stars go for digs that are the same size as small hotels. And I got the idea from the article that the sons still live with them.

I used to build custom homes in the Atlanta area, and 6000 sf was right around where most of our homes came in, in terms of living space. Our price point was around $1.5 mil, though. Of course, Alex and Charlene probably have every imaginable amenity and upgrade.

I'd love to see some pics of the listing. yes.gif

Edited by Marathonist

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 20 2008, 05:59 PM)
Here you go

select Toronto and put in price of $5699000

http://www.chestnutpark.com/chestmasterfra...ropsearch&cat=0

Nice house, but overpriced, and their taste in decor is pretty poor indeed

Thanks for the link!

You're right. I think their interior decorator is blind. How could anyone relax there. . .it's so busy. And WTF are those green and yellow THINGS in the kitchen?

At least Alex's taste is clothing is better! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Apr 20 2008, 03:18 PM)
Here you go

select Toronto and put in price  of $5699000

Thanks for the link!

And WTF are those green and yellow THINGS in the kitchen?

They look like christmas trees laugh.gif

Here you go

select Toronto and put in price of $5699000

Yeah, wow........I've seen way nicer houses for MUCH less..........

QUOTE (lerkst @ Apr 20 2008, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 19 2008, 06:08 PM)
It'd be cool to have a walk through it...........

Yep, but not as cool as meeting the man.

Nothing would be as cool as that. AlexFinal.gif

Except for meeting all three of them! AlexFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 20 2008, 07:53 PM)
I don't really find the interior that bad, heh, since I don't mind mixing different patterns and fabrics and whatnot... but it's certainly very bright and busy. Love it or hate it, I'm thinking. yes.gif

Someone certainly is fond of yellow. yes.gif I have seen way worse, though. There were times when I wanted to cry when I saw what buyers were doing to houses I'd built. fists crying.gif fists crying.gif