Double Trouble (SRV)

I know there are lots of threads about Stevie Ray Vaughan, who is one of my all time favourite guitarists, but there is'nt a lot said about his trusty bandmates Double Trouble, otherwise known as Tommy Shannon and Chris 'Whipper' Layton.

Who else think these guys are such a great solid, melodic driving force and perfect foil for Stevie.

Tommy is such a top bass player, that great low end tone, and great walking bass parts particularly shine.

Anyone agree ??

I have SRV and DT's first 4 CD's in heavy rotation right now. Man those guys are good. After sleeping on SRV for about 25 years, I am just now realizing his greatness as a guitarist, singer, and even songwriter, even though a lot of what he did were covers/standards. But maybe I needed to wait all this time, and now, for me, is the right time to begin to study and enjoy him, as well as Eric Johnson.

Rush are still favorites, but I haven't listened to them for a few weeks now.

s.r.v. rock's

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Mar 28 2008, 06:11 PM)
Good thread... I'm not a fan of SRV's music, but when I do hear it, they do stand out as a very good rhythm section. Pretty similar to Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Good comparison there, they did play a very similar role to the 'Experience' boys, just a really good tight rhythm section. Superb.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 28 2008, 02:20 AM)
Excellent musicians. Along with SRV I really like them with Arc Angels.

Yeah man...........Arc Angels were awesome......

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Mar 28 2008, 07:08 PM)
Jimmy Page is the best!

you don't listen to much music do you? laugh.gif trink39.gif

SRV is the 2nd best guitarist ever! Jimmy Page is the best!

I learned a long time ago not to use superlatives on such subjective topics as music. Its not quantifiable, but merely boils down to personal preference. Maybe someday you'll see this. You'll have a number of favorite guitarists, you won't feel the need to order them according to who is "best."

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Mar 29 2008, 03:35 AM)
SRV is the 2nd best guitarist ever!  Jimmy Page is the best!

I learned a long time ago not to use superlatives on such subjective topics as music. Its not quantifiable, but merely boils down to personal preference. Maybe someday you'll see this. You'll have a number of favorite guitarists, you won't feel the need to order them according to who is "best."

Yep I agree, my favourites change like the seasons according to my mood, but i like all sorts of guitarists playing all sorts of music, but its impossible to list them in linear fashion.

No particular order - a vague top 10 of some of my favourite guitarists

Alex Lifeson

Andy Summers

Joe Satriani

EVH

Paco de Lucia

Allan Holdsworth

Al di Meola

Nile Rodgers

SRV

Adrian Smith

Lee Ritenour

Some wildly differing styles but greatly gifted musicians

I think they were fine enough, much like Tori Amos' band of Matt Chamberlain and Jon Evans are COMPLETELY underrated given the context of her....

But still, Stevie was magical. I cried when he died. It's a very, very sad thing that we'll never have another SRV composition again.

Archived