Most Difficult Riff?

jdouglas

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Feb 10 2008, 04:03 PM)
Yes they are $9 a pop. Well worth it I say, even if you don't play guitar, they would be a good watch. There are interviews at the beginning that are very cool!!!

It's like hanging with Alex for a few!  1022.gif

He's got "Limelight," Spirit of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer" up there. Looks like they were made before S&A because he's still using PRS guitars in those clips. Meaning, who knows if he'll add more songs down the road.

Figures...I already know those three songs. I'd love to see him break down some of those hard-to-hear-the-guitar-parts Vapor Trails songs.

QUOTE (Larks @ Feb 10 2008, 04:50 PM)
ok. here is another"me trying to play hardest rush riffs on bass"

this is my practicing right now, recorded it and played it out of memory with bad sound.

tommy the cat by primus at the beginning(with bass solo!! wooott)

can u please listen to it?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p0tft4

On "Tommy," are you playing specific muted notes when slapping with your thumb, or just slapping the muted strings?

you seriously thought i did the main riff and the solo any justice? it was one take and i did it by ear and memory without practice before.

i learn all my music by ear(not trying to impress anyone,im an honest person)

it's pretty hard to tell.. i can gladly make a video tomorrow(i need to buy a pc camera first, i need it anyway and i will buy it sooner...)

Well... i just "Slap/pop" the D and the G strings(the thinest)

and i "Mute" the the the 4th strings on both D and G together with my second finger(lol forgot the name.. its late here)

hope it helped because im not pro on this, i will make a video tomorrow for you with slow motion if you want.

what do you think of the rest? not the best i know..

edit: i think i got it all mixed up and opposite..

yeah, and i have 4 string music man s.u.b with laney amp.

AND i play Yyz slapped to challange myself.

so i cant play tommy the cat perffect although i try, Les have a 6 sting fretless.

Edited by Larks

QUOTE (Larks @ Feb 10 2008, 06:15 PM)
you seriously thought i did the main riff and the solo any justice? it was one take and i did it by ear and memory without practice before.

i learn all my music by ear(not trying to impress anyone,im an honest person)

it's pretty hard to tell.. i can gladly make a video tomorrow(i need to buy a pc camera first, i need it anyway and i will buy it sooner...)

Well... i just "Slap/pop" the D and the G strings(the thinest)
and i "Mute" the the the 4th strings on both D and G together with my second finger(lol forgot the name.. its late here)

hope it helped because im not pro on this, i will make a video tomorrow for you with slow motion if you want.

what do you think of the rest? not the best i know..

I haven't listened to the rest yet. But the "Tommy" clip showed that you were on your way to getting it right. I'm not a bassist but I love Claypool's playing, and I learned that "Tommy" riff a while back. When he's slapping with his thumb he IS playing specific notes, but they're hard to hear. I was just wondering if you knew the notes. Also, the chord you're playing is a little off. Les (on a four-string bass) is playing a two-note E chord there, not a B. I'll post a tab later.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Feb 10 2008, 08:17 PM)
errr...that alex feller seems to be missing a few dem notes in the spirit of radio lesson preview....haha... tongue.gif

Yeah, I noticed that too. He doesn't return to the open E after hitting the D on the B string. He may do that so a beginner can get a better grasp of the fingering, who knows.

QUOTE (LoneStar Boogie @ Feb 10 2008, 09:22 PM)
I've actually nailed the fast run in the beginning of YYZ. The main riff is a bugger, though.

The main riff, just like the "Natural Science" arpeggio we've been talking about, gets easy once the picking pattern clicks for you. The fingering part isn't too hard, so once the picking hand catches up it's like BAM, there it is! Just gotta keep working it.

Playing YYZ on bass is hard as hell. For me, the problem has always been the right hand since the left hand part isn't all that hard. I have the speed to hit all the notes, and I can play everything in the song except the main riff. Well, I can play it, but it sounds really crappy and the individual notes don't stand out. I just have a problem with doing the quick string switching. I can play it on just the D and A strings if i start on the seventh fret, but that just doesn't sound right. oh well, practice, practice, practice.

Also, the bass part in Red Barchetta, while not being extremely hard to play technically, just never seems to make sense in my mind, I always go to the wrong notes. Once again, I guess I just have to practice.

GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Feb 10 2008, 11:27 PM)
I can play it on just the D and A strings if i start on the seventh fret, but that just doesn't sound right...

haha...there isn't a player here that has not tried that in frustration at one time or another....if if they say different...

http://www.umw.edu/hisa/resources/Student%20Projects/Singel/students.umw.edu/_ksing2os/polygraph/images/MeetTheParents_pic.jpg

It's not cheating to play something in a different position as long as all the notes are correct (and individually picked - not h/p). The problem will this move is it leaves you in no mans land for the rest of the riff (unless you have a huge pinky..ha)...so you end up sliding notes, etc...and that's where it gets bad quickly.