Calling all Discovery Channel Freaks!

ILSnwdog

Survivorman or Man VS Wild?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Survivorman or Man VS Wild?

• Survivorman
    • Man VS Wild

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 11 2008, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2008, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2008, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jan 10 2008, 07:07 PM)
Survivorman is completely BY HIMSELF while Bear is not.  Bear has a camera crew travel with him and gets more extensive local assistance before shooting than Les does.  I respect Bear's skills but miltary-type training is not geared for long term survival and living off the land, even Special Forces type training.  Bear's series about the French Foreign Legion was pretty cool and I do watch both shows.  Les is also pretty funny in a cynical, sarcastic kind of way.

SERE (survival, evasion, resistance, and escape) School is part of Army Special Forces training. Next time try a little research. wink.gif

Speaking of, I'm going on a survival trip at the end of February with my Father-in-law who is a former member of both Army Special Forces and Delta Force and also helped to develop the SERE School at Camp Mackall, NC and also was an instructor there for a year. If you guys are interested, I can post about the gear I'm taking and talk more about what we'll be doing.

As a former Army Ranger I know a little about this. What I am illustrating is the difference between surviving 2-3 days while waiting to be rescued and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with little chance of being rescued. Les seems to be more schooled in the latter while Bear is most likely more experienced in the former as I am. Next time don't get all worked up.

Oh I never get worked up, thanks. biggrin.gif

So what you're saying is that Special Forces survival training only equips you to survive for two to three days and not long-term?

By the way, thank you for your service!

I'm starting to think that you're yanking my chain Dave but I'll give it another go. In my experience, our survival training was geared towards completing the mission and all that this entails. Lives, expensive equipment, etc... all are expendable and are a cost of completing the mission being undertaken. Even though, at times, SF and Rangers (Merrill's Marauders in Burma, for example) have spent a great deal of time behind enemy lines and did not regularly receive supplies it is a detriment to the mission for soldiers to spend time foraging for food. So, in my case, we trained with the assumption that we would receive regular supplies and focused on the military aspects of the training. Having said that, we did work on skills that would allow survival in the case of the temporary need to work without resupply. Of course, even the focus here was on marching our asses out of trouble just as fast as we could so we could focus on the mission and not memorizing all of the various edible plants through out the world. This resulted in some very interesting 100 mile road marches. If you think back to some of Les' shows (other than his constant fidgeting with the cameras) he is constantly scrounging for food, water, and safe places to spend the night with little time for anything else. To me this is what I call real survival, Gilligan's Island style, which seems to be Les' focus.

Oh no, man, I wasn't yanking your chain at all, I was actually being just plain old dense (with a capital 'D')! laugh.gif But I get it now. Thanks, Don.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 11 2008, 06:27 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jan 11 2008, 10:03 AM)
I watch both....I still prefer Bear though. If I was stranded somewhere, I'd rather have him. Les is kind of old and is all 'conservation'-ish, even when he's stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week.

All survival manuals will tell you that in a survival situation it is best to be conservative. You should conserve food, energy, supplies, etc.

No, no, I know that.

I mean, he's stuck out there and doesn't even want to eat anything or hurt trees because he's an environmentalist.

QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jan 12 2008, 09:07 AM)
I watch both....I still prefer Bear though. If I was stranded somewhere, I'd rather have him. Les is kind of old and is all 'conservation'-ish, even when he's stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week.

All survival manuals will tell you that in a survival situation it is best to be conservative. You should conserve food, energy, supplies, etc.

No, no, I know that.

I mean, he's stuck out there and doesn't even want to eat anything or hurt trees because he's an environmentalist.

Oh, I see!

In that case, yes, it's pretty stupid. Like the time Les caught a rattlesnake but let it go because it was endangered. Screw that! If I'm in a survival situation, then anything I catch is food! Endangered or not! I'll eat panda bear if I have to! laugh.gif

Here's a good website with instructions for assembling your own survival kit. Click. I've got mine in a backpack so it's ready to go at a moment's notice. I'm also going to assemble another one to keep in my truck.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 12 2008, 02:14 PM)
Never heard of either of these shows. My vote goes for my hometown boy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/BBC20Mangart20Michael20Palin202-2.jpg

All due respect to Mr. Palin, but his show is about travel and not survival.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 12 2008, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Mojo Risin' @ Jan 12 2008, 09:07 AM)

No, no, I know that.

Oh, I see!

In that case, yes, it's pretty stupid. Like the time Les caught a rattlesnake but let it go because it was endangered. Screw that! If I'm in a survival situation, then anything I catch is food! Endangered or not! I'll eat panda bear if I have to! laugh.gif

If it wasn't on camera, I'm sure Les would have eaten the rattlesnake if he was starving...but he probably didn't need the fall out of eating an endangered species on TV. It may have gotten the tree huggers all worked into a lather. wink.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 14 2008, 09:19 AM)
I like to watch Iron Chef a lot. It's a cool show. Notice how much my post has to do with the topic at hand?

Well mine was off topic as well but it did relate to it in some way.

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 14 2008, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jan 14 2008, 09:19 AM)
I like to watch Iron Chef a lot. It's a cool show. Notice how much my post has to do with the topic at hand?

Well mine was off topic as well but it did relate to it in some way.

No it didn't. This is a thread discussing 'Man vs. Wild' and 'Survivorman'. There is already a thread for 'How It's Made' so there's no need to bring that show into this thread. Learn it, live it, love it.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jan 14 2008, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 14 2008, 05:09 PM)
I like the "How It's Made" show. That's all I watch the Discovery Channel for.

14 days eh? laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jan 12 2008, 12:14 PM)
Never heard of either of these shows. My vote goes for my hometown boy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/BBC20Mangart20Michael20Palin202-2.jpg

He was great in "A Fish Called Wanda".......