What's wrong with this picture??

Deadwing

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (haasman2112 @ Oct 12 2007, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Sword and Armor @ Oct 12 2007, 03:30 PM)

The tubular bell haven't been used in almost 20 years!

so it must be the Gong and Temple blocks that are missing 1022.gif

All of those instruments are covered by the malletkat (eletronic xylophone)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 12 2007, 04:09 PM)
I see, I can't really tell if he has a hi-hat, but he definetly has a hi-hat pedal. I dosen't look like a hi-hat to me.

That could be it. They probably ran out of room for it. There's an awful lot of stuff there.

I even checked to see if his zipper was down. laugh.gif

OH! (but probably not..)

One of those electronic cymbals, the one closest to Neil, it doesn't have one of those screw things on the the top like the one in the middle does...

unsure.gif

If you get what I mean

unsure.gif

(I haven't really got great knowledge when it comes to drums...)

QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 12 2007, 05:44 PM)
he doesnt have any space to get out? confused13.gif

Ahhhhhhahahaha! I love that one!! Best answer yet!

...but no. That's not it.

QUOTE (Fish Stick15 @ Oct 12 2007, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (Deadwing @ Oct 12 2007, 03:49 PM)
It's definitely something that's missing, but it's not a drum or a cymbal.

so its like a riddle. biggrin.gif

is it something that when you tell us we're going to feel stupid?

No no no nothing like that. Definitely not.

Yeah it's been long enough I guess. I was just curious as to whether anyone else would notice it.

Take a look at Neil's picollo snare drum, or "parade" snare as he so calls it. It's in the left side of the photo. It appears to be floating in mid air! You can see the basket that it's sitting in, but the rest of the hardware, the tubing and everything that holds that up, I can't see it anywhere. I can see it for the splash cymbal and cowbells that are beside it.

Did it get cropped out of the pic by mistake or something? wacko.gif sad.gif

My guess is that the snare is mouned on a horizontal boom stand, that the drum is blocking from view. Since all of his hardware is hard mounted to the riser he can load all of his stands to their maximum. Watch "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" and you'll see Gump setting up the kit.

QUOTE (Grapes_under_pressure @ Oct 12 2007, 07:51 PM)
is that what hit drummer hat is called?

Yup. Actually, it's not a "drummer hat" per se but he found them when he cycled West Africa and thought they would work great at keeping the sweat out of his eyes. I guess they work 'cause he's been using them for years.

QUOTE (Sword and Armor @ Oct 12 2007, 07:13 PM)
My guess is that the snare is mouned on a horizontal boom stand, that the drum is blocking from view. Since all of his hardware is hard mounted to the riser he can load all of his stands to their maximum. Watch "Anatomy of a Drum Solo" and you'll see Gump setting up the kit.

But it's not, that's just it. I've seen the kit close up on the S.S. Professor tour. It was help up by a piece of vertical piping that screws straight into the board, the same way his cymbal stands do.

QUOTE (Deadwing @ Oct 13 2007, 06:11 AM)

But it's not, that's just it. I've seen the kit close up on the S.S. Professor tour. It was help up by a piece of vertical piping that screws straight into the board, the same way his cymbal stands do.

If you look just to the left of the Keypads and slightly above, you'll see a boom connection that's set at roughly a 45 degree angle and it appears to be making a 90 degree left turn. That looks like it connects to the bottom of the snare stand.

I have never seen the kit live so I don't know. But if you also look down at the riser, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to mount a straight stand below it.

Granted, you cant see the whole riser so that point might not be valid. I'm going to watch "Anatomy of a drum solo" later and see what it shows there.

The mystery continues................... confused13.gif wtf.gif

QUOTE (Sword and Armor @ Oct 13 2007, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (Deadwing @ Oct 13 2007, 06:11 AM)

If you look just to the left of the Keypads and slightly above, you'll see a boom connection that's set at roughly a 45 degree angle and it appears to be making a 90 degree left turn. That looks like it connects to the bottom of the snare stand.

I have never seen the kit live so I don't know. But if you also look down at the riser, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to mount a straight stand below it.

Granted, you cant see the whole riser so that point might not be valid. I'm going to watch "Anatomy of a drum solo" later and see what it shows there.

The mystery continues................... confused13.gif wtf.gif

Good point! My copy of "Anatomy" is loaned out at the moment so it didn't even occur to me to double check.

If you're right than that would surely explain it, and I guess my memory would just be off a bit. I was pretty awestruck looking at Neil's kit that day in Toronto, so it may have been distracting.

Archived