Halloween

Necromancer

So the original Halloween is one of my all-time favorite movies. I feel it was the greatest of all the slasher genre flicks from that period, and still sets the bar high.

I had mixed emotions when I found out it was being remade, but since it's by Rob Zombie, I know he will keep what needs to be there and stay true to the original idea. I saw the Behind the Mask short documentary and he has the utmost respect for the original and for the character of Michael Myers.

I'm really getting psyched for this. I can't wait. The original is one of the only movies that ever actually SCARED me. I think most slasher movies are lame, but Halloween was so well made and THAT MUSIC... man that tune was so chilling. It's been remade and has been implemented into the new version. THANK GOD!!! I was worried they might do away with the tune.

I'll give a review as soon as I get back. If anyone sees an earlier showing, feel free to give reviews first.

For any possible shocks or new things, let's try not to SPOIL it for others. Okay?

I saw it earlier today. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I kinda get the feeling that Zombie doesn't get why the original Halloween is scary...there's a lot of excessive shit in his version that's just not necessary. The movie is a lot more brutal, but the creepiness factor just isn't there. There's some tense scenes near the end that I thought were cool though.

2.5/5

I was expecting to like it more. Also, I wanted to slap the people who brought their kids to this movie. There were a lot.

Adrienne Barbeau was supposed to be in this version, but I heard that her scenes were deleted.

John Carpenter, when he made the film, was exploring evil in a human being without explaining how or why and left it up to audiences to decide. I hear that the new version will explain why Michael even started to kill people, obviously beginning with Judith Myers. That kills some of the mystery for me.

Also, John Carpenter and Debra Hill explained that sometimes what you don't see is often scarier than what you do see. That's why the original is not gory. Guts are gross, but not necessarily scary.

I would like someone to PM with the synopsis of this new version though.

scared.gif

So I better get ready to see this movie.

I am one of those who gets REALLY SCARED. But

Necro and Spawn have been looking foward to this

one.

scared.gif

I dunno... I like the original Halloween a lot, but can't stand Zombie's other two movies House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. I'll admit he's a lot better with the whole film thing than most people who started out as musicians, but I really don't get all the hype he gets.

I'll still go see this though, if I can get a group of friends to venture down to the theater with me.

Okay... just got back.

It was okay. I still think the original rules, but Zombie gave back some credibility to Mike Myers that he's been lacking for decades. The gore factor was pretty high. CeeJ had a problem with that. cat.gif

I liked the backstory of Mike as a kid. That was very cool. I was dissapointed with the portrayal of Dr. Loomis. He didn't show enough FEAR in everything he said like Donald Pleasance did. Probably my only real negative criticism on the whole movie. All in all, it did justice to the original's memory, while adding a definite Zombie flair to it. Not bad.

4 out of 5 kitchen knives. laugh.gif

scared.gif

This movie was not for me at all.

I have to say though...

It will be considered a nice appetizer. wink.gif

I was REALLY scared.gif

Edited by CeeJ

I usually don't read movie reviews, but for some reason I read a couple about this movie. Well, too many were negative...very negative. I had a major problem with how the back story of Michael Myers was portrayed. Some reviews pointed out that the leaked workprint of the movie was much better. Anyway, I'll be waiting for it to be on cable. Not that anyone cares...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 1 2007, 12:16 AM)

4 out of 5 kitchen knives. laugh.gif

Oh man, thats beautifull ! rofl3.gif

What is the "backstory" of Michael Myers? What caused him to kill?

You can PM me with this answer.

And was Adrienne in it? Or were her scenes deleted?

Will there be a Zombie sequel where Myers shows up at Haddonfield Memorial Hospital to finish off the medical staff (like the 1981 sequel)?

I just got back and i thought it was awesome..a great portrayal from the original movie..I think alot of the reason this one got so many bad reviews is the fact that everyone is comparing it to the original.

I loved the portrayal of how he grew up and all..that is what really made it great for me.

and oh yea tom sawyer was in it that was awesome.

4/5

i thought that it would be a little bit better than it was. sad.gif

ill tell you though but 2 things.

1. Tom Sawyer was in it, and that was awesome. trink39.gif

2. I never relized how tall Myers was. good god! confused13.gif

Edited by gotbass1228

QUOTE (gotbass1228 @ Sep 2 2007, 03:19 AM)

Well... his MySpace pages lists Tyler Mane at 6'8". He was always around the same height as Kevin Nash. They used to partner together. Kev "lists" himself at 7 foot, and I've met him twice. He's about 6'6", 7" at the most. So Tyler could be about 6'6" i'm thinking. They always exaggerate their heights.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2007, 05:12 AM)

Well... his MySpace pages lists Tyler Mane at 6'8". He was always around the same height as Kevin Nash. They used to partner together. Kev "lists" himself at 7 foot, and I've met him twice. He's about 6'6", 7" at the most. So Tyler could be about 6'6" i'm thinking. They always exaggerate their heights.

hehe. Im almost that tall. Geeze. laugh.gif . They are both big men eh?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 2 2007, 05:12 AM)

hehe. Im almost that tall. Geeze. laugh.gif . They are both big men eh?

I have to agree with Ken. The original Halloween movie series was the best. I mean why they have to make another remake is beyond me. But hey that's Hollywood. They love to make money. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Sep 2 2007, 02:31 PM)
I have to agree with Ken. The original Halloween movie series was the best. I mean why they have to make another remake is beyond me. But hey that's Hollywood. They love to make money. unsure.gif

But I have no problem with this remake. I made the comparison because it's only going to be natural for someone who seen the original to make such a comparison.

This movie stands alone because it has much more story to it. The inside on Mike as a kid is amazing. His time in the sanitarium adds so much to the story and his eventual escape being actually filmed and not just wondered about is a very good addition to the original story.

The action moves at a faster pace once Mike and his sister finally confront each other in this movie. That takes away from some of the creeped out suspense of the first movie, but at the same time stands on its own merit.

Regardless of my preference of the first movie... I am not saying the remake is a bad movie at all. I give serious props to Rob for restoring the seriously scary atmosphere that this story originally provoked. Just like the Friday the 13th and Elm Street franchises, Halloween had become a watered down JOKE. yes.gif

I don't think that Carpenter ever had any intention of Mike being some supernatural incarnation of evil. Which if you remember the sequels, is what they turned him into to explain his being unstoppable. This version adds a bit of a definite end to the story, and has no supernatural slant whatsoever. Once you added the satanism and supernatural element to Mike, you took away everything that was horrifying about him, the fact that he could be REAL. The fact that he could actually happen. The sequels ruined the entire story in my opinion. Zombie has restored the most horrifying aspect of it. That it COULD happen. scared.gif

There never should have been any sequels to the original film. Although Halloween II was OK, just more of a gory bloodshedding type film.

A lot of people may not realize it but we don't know that Laurie is Michael's sister until Halloween II.

I don't think John Carpenter was too thrilled with Halloween II.

Halloween III is a different movie altogether.

The rest of the sequels didn't start until the fourth installment in 1988.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2007, 09:05 PM)
There never should have been any sequels to the original film. Although Halloween II was OK, just more of a gory bloodshedding type film.

A lot of people may not realize it but we don't know that Laurie is Michael's sister until Halloween II.

Yeah, they should've left it at 1 and 2............

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 2 2007, 10:05 PM)

Yeah, but in Halloween 2, that's the first time that Loomis sheds light on the whole Samhain thing and the satan tie in.

yeah, we don't know about Lori being his sister till part 2, but they needed that for the story. it totally fits.

Saw this movie tonight and thought it was great. I really thought it was a good re-imagination of the original.

I loved that Tom Sawyer was in it too...I was like rocking out in the theatre. laugh.gif

I really don't care if the film is good, I'll see it, I like Zombie's other flicks. But this film furthers my arguement that American Horror is getting lazy. More remakes and sequels. Hardly any origionals out there anymore. (I have a thread on this subject, if you wish to read further)

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 9 2007, 02:02 AM)
I really don't care if the film is good, I'll see it, I like Zombie's other flicks. But this film furthers my arguement that American Horror is getting lazy. More remakes and sequels. Hardly any origionals out there anymore. (I have a thread on this subject, if you wish to read further)

I read your thread, and agree. But as far as this movie goes, it's not a pure remake. It has about 45 minutes to an hour of totally NEW storyline, which is absolutely awesome.

A pure remake of Halloween would be worthless. Everyone knows the opening scene is a kid, so there'd be no shock value at all. Zombie filled in all the blanks, did homage to the original and still put HIS mark on a horror classic without bastardizing its memory.

Big Kudos to Rob for doing such a fine job. yes.gif

I'd still skip it. A remake is still a remake.

The actresses in the original prove that a good movie can be done without using airbrushed sexpots to cover up acting skill.