Neil playing his sticks backwards

djb

ok,

I looked around, but I need a definative answer with photographic proof. Does Neil prefer to play his sticks backwards?

As a drummer I find that so weird. I never noticed from the videos and concerts.

I thinmk he said he playes them right way round when doing sensitive stuff.

Does he ever use non-tapered sticks?

just plain weird I say....

Geddy has said he does that when he wants to "really rock". Wouldnt that give more power with the added weight on that end?

Neil said he did that as a kid since he plays soo hard hed break the tips off and tape them back on.

I have definitely observed him in some of the concert videos switching his sticks between "normal" and "backwards." All of that fancy stick twirling he does isn't just for show -- sometimes it actually has a purpose!

(And yes, I think the throwing of the stick in the air once each time through the pattern in "The Weapon" was functional too -- helped regulate the rhythm in the odd pattern he was playing. tongue.gif )

He used to play with his sticks backwards until Test For Echo when he switched to traditional grip (JAzz, Stewart Copeland, etc). After the long hiatus, he switched back to regular style, but this time with sticks rightside up. He still plays the left hand stick upsdide down sometimes in songs like Distant Early Warning, Dreamline and Secret Touch, Spirit Of Radio when he needs the BIG end of the stick for rim shots. Otherwise, he plays the regular way, with some trad grip bits for the slow part of La Villa, Driven, and parts of his drum solo.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Aug 21 2007, 08:12 PM)
He used to play with his sticks backwards until Test For Echo when he switched to traditional grip (JAzz, Stewart Copeland, etc). After the long hiatus, he switched back to regular style, but this time with sticks rightside up. He still plays the left hand stick upsdide down sometimes in songs like Distant Early Warning, Dreamline and Secret Touch, Spirit Of Radio when he needs the BIG end of the stick for rim shots. Otherwise, he plays the regular way, with some trad grip bits for the slow part of La Villa, Driven, and parts of his drum solo.

I'm not a drummer but this is what I thought I remembered reading in one of his books.

Yes. I am a drummer, and used to play like him, and followed what he did. You can see on the DVD's when and where he still uses the big end of the sticks in some songs. The little spin o rama move he does to go from regular to trad grip is something else also... I can't figure it out.

QUOTE (djb @ Aug 21 2007, 06:35 PM)
ok,

I looked around, but I need a definative answer with photographic proof. Does Neil prefer to play his sticks backwards?

As a drummer I find that so weird. I never noticed from the videos and concerts.

He states on the Snakes and Arrows MVI that he uses them backwards. He said he learned to play this way because the normal ends always broke too easily, and he couldnt afford to keep buying sticks. And apparently he's never looked back. He says he's been playing that way ever since.

QUOTE (djb @ Aug 21 2007, 07:35 PM)
ok,

He used to play the butt end of the sticks. It was to get more power & girth out of the stick. Up until he met up with Freddie, then he has been playing the normal way.

Well for showman ship he triggers a "big chord" during far cry and as a signal for Geddy and Alex he holds his arm up. Or get a broken stick out of the way. I remember from the jones Beach show during the way wind blows he throw the stick away.

I got that from the last Bass player.

I remember first noticing Neil playing backwards on the Anthem video thats in one of the "vaulted" sections of one of the dvds.

Should also be noted that Portnoy uses this grip. It gives a bigger sound outta the Snare.

I personally find that if my left hand is being slow that switching sides gets it up to par, though I can't figure out why that works. Maybe it's a mental thing?

Archived