US Open Tennis

treeduck

Yep the US Open starts in a week or two and I'll start this thread off with the story of Novak Djokavic whupping Roger Federer in the final today of the Rogers Masters in Monreal. He beat Nadal in the semis yesterday as well so he's obviously a big threat at Flushing Meadows and there's a real challenge here for Fed now. Hardcourts are probably Novak's best surface as he's made three masters finals this year on American hardcourts winning 2 of them, but did well on clay and grass with semi-final appearances at Wimbledon and Roland Garros. This could be the beginning of the end of Federer...

Meanwhile Joker's pal Andy Murray is still recovering from injury and might miss his third grand slam tournament in a row and the rest of the year...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw that about Djokovic...i.e. beating Nadal and Federer in back to back matches for the title of a Masters Series event. I don't necessarily think it's the beginning of the end of Roger though. It just means that things got more interesting. Federer is only 25 and could easily keep it up for another half decade. Nadal's got even more time than that. However, Djokovic is just starting! Excellent. If Andy Murray can get back to being healthy than I can see that group being the top 4 for most or all of next year. I think those guys are the best of what the ATP has to offer these days.

As far who's going to take home the U.S. Open title, how can one not bet on Federer? He's already a maestro during non-Grand slam events but turns it up even more when he's in a major. However, Roger losing a Grand Slam event other than the French could be good for tennis so I think I'd like to see Nadal or Djokovic win it next month.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 13 2007, 10:21 AM)
Yeah I saw that about Djokovic...i.e. beating Nadal and Federer in back to back matches for the title of a Masters Series event. I don't necessarily think it's the beginning of the end of Roger though. It just means that things got more interesting. Federer is only 25 and could easily keep it up for another half decade. Nadal's got even more time than that. However, Djokovic is just starting! Excellent. If Andy Murray can get back to being healthy than I can see that group being the top 4 for most or all of next year. I think those guys are the best of what the ATP has to offer these days.

As far who's going to take home the U.S. Open title, how can one not bet on Federer? He's already a maestro during non-Grand slam events but turns it up even more when he's in a major. However, Roger losing a Grand Slam event other than the French could be good for tennis so I think I'd like to see Nadal or Djokovic win it next month.

Fed is 26 now JB...

cool.gif

Don't discount Baghdatis. That quarterfinal against Djokovic at Wimbledon could have gone either way.

Djokovic demolished Roddick, Nadal, and Federer all in a row, so he's kind of the new Jesus Christ of men's tennis coming onto the scene, IMO...they just keep making more and more dramatic of entrances.

I would say that the six to watch this run are Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Baghdatis, and Roddick. But my safe money is on Federer for the victory. The other five will probably crowd into the final eight, but I would be surprised if Federer doesn't take the trophy home.

At any rate, Roddick's got nothing on Fed...

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 13 2007, 01:58 PM)
Don't discount Baghdatis. That quarterfinal against Djokovic at Wimbledon could have gone either way.

Djokovic demolished Roddick, Nadal, and Federer all in a row, so he's kind of the new Jesus Christ of men's tennis coming onto the scene, IMO...they just keep making more and more dramatic of entrances.

I would say that the six to watch this run are Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Baghdatis, and Roddick. But my safe money is on Federer for the victory. The other five will probably crowd into the final eight, but I would be surprised if Federer doesn't take the trophy home.

Bag is too erratic to do any better than top 5 on a regular basis. He might improve but we'll have to see. Talking of Bag he's drawn against Murray in Cincy, he should win this one, Murray's forehand is a powder puff at the moment...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2007, 03:30 AM)
Yeah I saw that about Djokovic...i.e. beating Nadal and Federer in back to back matches for the title of a Masters Series event.  I don't necessarily think it's the beginning of the end of Roger though.  It just means that things got more interesting.  Federer is only 25 and could easily keep it up for another half decade.  Nadal's got even more time than that.  However, Djokovic is just starting!  Excellent.  If Andy Murray can get back to being healthy than I can see that group being the top 4 for most or all of next year.  I think those guys are the best of what the ATP has to offer these days. 

As far who's going to take home the U.S. Open title, how can one not bet on Federer?  He's already a maestro during non-Grand slam events but turns it up even more when he's in a major.  However, Roger losing a Grand Slam event other than the French could be good for tennis so I think I'd like to see Nadal or Djokovic win it next month.

Fed is 26 now JB...

cool.gif

ohmy.gif Nooooooooooo......

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 13 2007, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2007, 03:30 AM)
Yeah I saw that about Djokovic...i.e. beating Nadal and Federer in back to back matches for the title of a Masters Series event.  I don't necessarily think it's the beginning of the end of Roger though.  It just means that things got more interesting.  Federer is only 25 and could easily keep it up for another half decade.  Nadal's got even more time than that.  However, Djokovic is just starting!  Excellent.  If Andy Murray can get back to being healthy than I can see that group being the top 4 for most or all of next year.  I think those guys are the best of what the ATP has to offer these days. 

As far who's going to take home the U.S. Open title, how can one not bet on Federer?  He's already a maestro during non-Grand slam events but turns it up even more when he's in a major.  However, Roger losing a Grand Slam event other than the French could be good for tennis so I think I'd like to see Nadal or Djokovic win it next month.

Fed is 26 now JB...

cool.gif

ohmy.gif Nooooooooooo......

Yep, he's an oldie now...

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 14 2007, 04:08 AM)

Bag is too erratic to do any better than top 5 on a regular basis. He might improve but we'll have to see. Talking of Bag he's drawn against Murray in Cincy, he should win this one, Murray's forehand is a powder puff at the moment...

I'd agree with duck-san's Baghdatis comment. But I actually think he could steal a grand slam but don't see him as a continuous threat ala Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 13 2007, 06:13 PM)

I'd agree with duck-san's Baghdatis comment. But I actually think he could steal a grand slam but don't see him as a continuous threat ala Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic.

Yeah, I can see him snatching one, amybe even two Grand Slams in his career. He's talented but not the type to dominate or even consolidate a position of strength in the rankings. I remember thinking last year when he beat Andy Murray at Wimbledon in round 4 that it was a missed opportunity for the listless (on the day) Murray.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 15 2007, 01:24 AM)

Yeah, I can see him snatching one, amybe even two Grand Slams in his career. He's talented but not the type to dominate or even consolidate a position of strength in the rankings. I remember thinking last year when he beat Andy Murray at Wimbledon in round 4 that it was a missed opportunity for the listless (on the day) Murray.

Baghdatis' best chance (currently) to win a Major would be the Australian Open when the top players are kind of rusty from the break. Generally, by the time the U.S. Open comes around, the big guns are in fine form which makes it harder for anyone outside the top 10 to win it. 2 players that first come to mind that won the Aussie Open that I don't usually think of as Grand Slam champs are Thomas Johannson and Petr Korda. Those kinds of players (I think) are hungry and want to start the year off strong. Then they go to Melbourne and start killing off the top guys when they normally wouldn't. What else have Johannson and Korda won? Nothing.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 15 2007, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 15 2007, 01:24 AM)

Baghdatis' best chance (currently) to win a Major would be the Australian Open when the top players are kind of rusty from the break. Generally, by the time the U.S. Open comes around, the big guns are in fine form which makes it harder for anyone outside the top 10 to win it. 2 players that first come to mind that won the Aussie Open that I don't usually think of as Grand Slam champs are Thomas Johannson and Petr Korda. Those kinds of players (I think) are hungry and want to start the year off strong. Then they go to Melbourne and start killing off the top guys when they normally wouldn't. What else have Johannson and Korda won? Nothing.

yes.gif

Plenty of seeds fell by the wayside in Cincy...

Only Fed and Hewitt have done the business...

Meanwhile Murray's injury mystery continues; short of match practice and apparently physically recovered form the wrist injury, he's pulled out of New Haven. Surely a few matches here against weaker opposition would have been of some benefit? Anyway seems he's no threat at the US Open this year...

Read that Tim Henman will retire (finally and good choice) after his Davis cup match next month.

I'd be interested to see how Hewitt does in the Open. I always did like routing AGAINST him and it'd be cool to see him get far. And although we've all stated that Blake won't win it, he has seen some good results the last 2 tournaments losing in the finals of Cincy to Fed then winning the Pilot Pen this weekend

On the women's side for the U.S. Open Sharapova has a fairly easy draw in that all the big hitters are on the other side of the bracket

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 26 2007, 12:01 PM)
Read that Tim Henman will retire (finally and good choice) after his Davis cup match next month.

I'd be interested to see how Hewitt does in the Open. I always did like routing AGAINST him and it'd be cool to see him get far. And although we've all stated that Blake won't win it, he has seen some good results the last 2 tournaments losing in the finals of Cincy to Fed then winning the Pilot Pen this weekend

On the women's side for the U.S. Open Sharapova has a fairly easy draw in that all the big hitters are on the other side of the bracket

Henman has had a great career, 6 semi-final appearances at three grand slam tournaments, one masters victory, highest ranking number 4 in the world. Not bad for a guy who's earliest claim to fame was hitting a ball girl in the face with wild shot in anger at Wimbledon. No one back in 1995, when that incident occurred, ever thought Henman would be a serious contender for the title there, let alone year in year out. Tim is definitely an overachiever...

Blake's on form at the moment as he always seems to be at this time of year. He's in Fed's part of the draw so he'll likely face him in the quarter finals, which is where his challenge will end unfortunately...

Venus has a tough draw but she's talking a good game, says if she plays like she did at Wimbledon she'll be unbeatable. She's a good bet for the title...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 27 2007, 04:06 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 26 2007, 12:01 PM)

I'd be interested to see how Hewitt does in the Open.  I always did like routing AGAINST him and it'd be cool to see him get far.  And although we've all stated that Blake won't win it, he has seen some good results the last 2 tournaments losing in the finals of Cincy to Fed then winning the Pilot Pen this weekend

Henman has had a great career, 6 semi-final appearances at three grand slam tournaments, one masters victory, highest ranking number 4 in the world. Not bad for a guy who's earliest claim to fame was hitting a ball girl in the face with wild shot in anger at Wimbledon. No one back in 1995, when that incident occurred, ever thought Henman would be a serious contender for the title there, let alone year in year out. Tim is definitely an overachiever...

Blake's on form at the moment as he always seems to be at this time of year. He's in Fed's part of the draw so he'll likely face him in the quarter finals, which is where his challenge will end unfortunately...

Venus has a tough draw but she's talking a good game, says if she plays like she did at Wimbledon she'll be unbeatable. She's a good bet for the title...

Yeah Tim's been having some health problems so it's best that he leave the game. He never did win a major or make it to any of those 4 finals but he did do just about everything except that. I was really surprised when he cracked the top 5 and he came sooooo close a few times in getting to the Wimbledon finals...I felt really bad for him then.

I didn't see the men's draw but would've guessed that Blake wouldn't have made it past the quarters anyways. Now it seems almost certain that'll happen.

Venus...if her or Serena are anywhere remotely close to playing their best tennis then then the competition should be dropping left and right.

Baghdatis is already out, first round first day, which again illustrates how erratic he is...

JC ferrero is also out to another Spaniard, Feliciano Lopez

Meanwhile Gasquet, Davydenko and Berdych are all through...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2007, 04:43 AM)
Baghdatis is already out, first round first day, which again illustrates how erratic he is...

Yeah Baghdatis is erratic with heaps of talent BUT he did fall too Mirnyi who isn't your usual run-of-the-mill 1st round punching bag.

The veteran Bjorkman could give Murray a hard time in the 2nd round especially since Andy hasn't had a consistent run recently

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2007, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 28 2007, 04:43 AM)

Yeah Baghdatis is erratic with heaps of talent BUT he did fall too Mirnyi who isn't your usual run-of-the-mill 1st round punching bag.

The veteran Bjorkman could give Murray a hard time in the 2nd round especially since Andy hasn't had a consistent run recently

Yeah that's a difficult one, even though Bjorkman is 35 now and the oldest man on the tour, he's been in really good form over the last 18 months, reaching the semis at Wimbledon in 2006 and the quarters at Roland Garros this year, so that's a tricky match for "Muzza" but I think he'll scrape through and be that bit nearer an optimum match fitness. Canas is likely to face the winner so he'll have to improve a bit if he wants to retain his points from last year...

Who caught the Roddick/Gimmelstob match? The match was great plus the two interviewing each other after the match was classic. It was Gimmelstob's last appearance at the US Open in the men's singles division. He is going to retire.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 28 2007, 10:52 PM)
Who caught the Roddick/Gimmelstob match? The match was great plus the two interviewing each other after the match was classic. It was Gimmelstob's last appearance at the US Open in the men's singles division. He is going to retire.

Roddick is lined up to meet Davydenko/Murray/Canas/Bjorkman in the QF...

Upset of the day was Fernando Gonzalez going out to an unknown Russian in a five-set struggle. He seems to have regressed from his Aussie Open form and is back to the hit and miss player he used to be...

Wow Murray wins a 5 set thriller v Bjorkman...

Interestingly Canas is losing to Korea's Lee, so it'll be Murray v Lee next...

If Lee wins we'll have to put him in the famous Lees thread...

wink.gif

Meanwhile Berdych is through but Richard Gasquet must have pulled out, so America's Donald Young gets a walkover...good for him...

Archived