US Open Tennis

treeduck

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 8 2007, 02:57 AM)
I'm not counting Ferrer out just yet. But his semifinal against Djokovic has the potential to be one of the best matches of this U.S. Open, if he maintains the level of play he had in his triumph over Nadal and Djokovic plays his best tennis as well. And either one of them at that level could even have a shot against Federer.

The match only just started and Joker is already a set and a break up on Ferrer.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2007, 12:06 PM)
I'm not counting Ferrer out just yet. But his semifinal against Djokovic has the potential to be one of the best matches of this U.S. Open, if he maintains the level of play he had in his triumph over Nadal and Djokovic plays his best tennis as well. And either one of them at that level could even have a shot against Federer.

The match only just started and Joker is already a set and a break up on Ferrer.

And that's now turned into an EASY, EASY win for Djokavic...first Grand Slam final for Novak, the first of many I imagine. Now, can he stop Fed???

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2007, 01:40 PM)

And that's now turned into an EASY, EASY win for Djokavic...first Grand Slam final for Novak, the first of many I imagine. Now, can he stop Fed???

Oh yeah he's the first Serbian to ever make a Grand Slam final and the youngest since Pete Sampras in 1990...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2007, 11:40 AM)

Holy crap. He just might.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 8 2007, 02:33 PM)

They're all set up to face each other in the final now that Fed duly disposed of Davydenko. The Russian looked as good as he ever has in this tournament, but he was dealt with comfortably by Roger, while still putting up a decent showing. That makes his record against Fed 0-10. Most of the top ten has similar records against Fed so it's not such a disgrace. What this also shows though is that after four Grand Slam semi-final appearances (2 french, 2 US) and four quarter-final appearances (3 Aussies, 1 French), he's looking a bit like the Russian Tim Henman only a clay/hardcourt version. This is creditable but it probably means grand Slam titles are out of his reach, he's already 26...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2007, 12:36 AM)

They're all set up to face each other in the final now that Fed duly disposed of Davydenko. The Russian looked as good as he ever has in this tournament, but he was dealt with comfortably by Roger, while still putting up a decent showing. That makes his record against Fed 0-10. Most of the top ten has similar records against Fed so it's not such a disgrace. What this also shows though is that after four Grand Slam semi-final appearances (2 french, 2 US) and four quarter-final appearances (3 Aussies, 1 French), he's looking a bit like the Russian Tim Henman only a clay/hardcourt version. This is creditable but it probably means grand Slam titles are out of his reach, he's already 26...

Yeah, another Henman or Todd Martin: perennially in the last sixteen at the least, but never taking home the title.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 9 2007, 04:59 PM)

Yeah, another Henman or Todd Martin: perennially in the last sixteen at the least, but never taking home the title.

I mainly agree with you boys. But with a little help, a lucky draw, and/or even 'thinking' he could beat Fed, Davydenko could take home a slam in the future. Lesser men have won them than him.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 9 2007, 03:03 AM)

I mainly agree with you boys. But with a little help, a lucky draw, and/or even 'thinking' he could beat Fed, Davydenko could take home a slam in the future. Lesser men have won them than him.

If the planets align in just the right way then yeah. he is better than Korda or Gaudio to name two one hit wonder grand Slam winners...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2007, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 9 2007, 03:03 AM)

If the planets align in just the right way then yeah. he is better than Korda or Gaudio to name two one hit wonder grand Slam winners...

Exactly. Better than Johannson too

Federer's just too good. Nobody can beat him unless they're on clay or are playing at some tournament that's as good as the Podunk Tennis Bash to him.

I hate having one player utterly dominate the entire circuit. It's utterly boring. And with Henin's renewed mastery of women's tennis, it just makes for a really predictable, disappointing sport in these last few matches.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2007, 05:29 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2007, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 9 2007, 05:06 PM)
DoJo is 4-1 up in the second set!!

Damn Fed's back to 4-4

Another tie-break, Joker needs this one big time...

7-6 7-6 Fed...

It's a long way back now for Novak...

This reminds me of another Grand Slam Final in 1981, the french Open which was Borg's 11th and final Grand Slam win against another novice eastern European in his first grand Slam final, Ivan lendl. Lendl lost and he lost four more finals before he finally won one when he beat Mcenroe also at Roland garros three years later. he had a reputation as a choker in big events until then and of course he went on to be a dominant number one player...

Let's hope Joker doesn't turn out to be a choker...

If fed wins will this be his last Grand Slam win like Borg before him?

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Sep 9 2007, 05:37 PM)
Federer's just too good. Nobody can beat him unless they're on clay or are playing at some tournament that's as good as the Podunk Tennis Bash to him.

I hate having one player utterly dominate the entire circuit. It's utterly boring. And with Henin's renewed mastery of women's tennis, it just makes for a really predictable, disappointing sport in these last few matches.

Well don't write Djokovic off just yet, even if he loses, he's taken another step closer to taking over. Remember at Indian Wells he lost in the final to Nadal, but at Miami a week later he crushed Nadal in the QFs and won the title against Canas. He then made the semis as Wimbledon and Rland Garros, another step closer. Then at montreal he beat Roddick, Nadal and fed in successive matches to claim another masters title. Now he's made the final of a Grand Slam. next time it'll be a win...

That service challenge exemplifies everything that is wrong with Hawkeye. There is no f**king way that computer system could possibly be that accurate.

Federer's arrogance surrounding that call was equally disgusting.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 10 2007, 08:17 AM)
Damn it's all over, straight sets win for Fed, 4 straight US Opens, 12 Grand Slam titles in all...

Hard to believe that he's only 2 slams away from tieing Pete's record. I thought it'd take much longer for someone to even come close to it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 10 2007, 07:43 AM)

Well don't write Djokovic off just yet, even if he loses, he's taken another step closer to taking over. Remember at Indian Wells he lost in the final to Nadal, but at Miami a week later he crushed Nadal in the QFs and won the title against Canas. He then made the semis as Wimbledon and Rland Garros, another step closer. Then at montreal he beat Roddick, Nadal and fed in successive matches to claim another masters title. Now he's made the final of a Grand Slam. next time it'll be a win...

The same thing was said about the sport (that it's boring) when Lendl then Sampras dominated. But these 2 guys inspired others to bring their best to the courts. And I guess Federer is/will be doing the same. Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko, Roddick, Murray and all these other top players need to do some serious studying on Roger when he's on hard & grass courts.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 9 2007, 06:48 PM)

The same thing was said about the sport (that it's boring) when Lendl then Sampras dominated. But these 2 guys inspired others to bring their best to the courts. And I guess Federer is/will be doing the same. Nadal, Djokovic, Davydenko, Roddick, Murray and all these other top players need to do some serious studying on Roger when he's on hard & grass courts.

Looking back at Fed in this tournament, he didn't play that well, dropped a set here, a set there against average players and he was pretty fortunate that A) his usual whipping boys were his QF/SF opponents and that cool.gif Djorkovic blew all his first set-point chances, a 4-1 second set lead and generally wilted under the weight of the occasion.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that Fed will get squeezed out of all the Grand Slams next year and won't win any of them, or might pick up the Aussie Open only. You heard it here first...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 10 2007, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 9 2007, 06:48 PM)

Looking back at Fed in this tournament, he didn't play that well, dropped a set here, a set there against average players and he was pretty fortunate that A) his usual whipping boys were his QF/SF opponents and that cool.gif Djorkovic blew all his first set-point chances, a 4-1 second set lead and generally wilted under the weight of the occasion.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that Fed will get squeezed out of all the Grand Slams next year and won't win any of them, or might pick up the Aussie Open only. You heard it here first...

But that's kind of the scary part too...i.e. he didn't play his best and he still won the whole damn thing. His best vs. anyone else's best is still a Fed win by a long shot (except on clay where it'd be Nadal).

As long as he stays healthy he's gonna pick up at least 1 slam next year.

These super-champions like Federer, Sampras, Agassi almost always step up in tight moments. Fed just hasn't had that many really close matches in grand slam events YET. But when that time comes, I'm guessing he'll do well.

Fed really didn't play that well, I don't think.

I was rooting for Djokovic but I really think it was him that lost the match, not Fed that won. If D. hadn't choked on all those set points, he would have had the first two sets -- and who knows where that would have taken D.

There's a difference between winning because you played your heart out and winning because the other person let their mental game get the best of them yes.gif

Archived