Playstation 3 / PS3

Godeater2112

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Feb 19 2008, 12:13 PM)
uber-lame.

I just dont get how this can be incredibly difficult to offer

I would think it's more of just... them thinking not enough people would care about that. Because it's not like... some hardcore complicated feature they have to take forever to add in.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 19 2008, 11:19 AM)
uber-lame.

I would think it's more of just... them thinking not enough people would care about that. Because it's not like... some hardcore complicated feature they have to take forever to add in.

Ive wondered about this type of oversight from Sony in general in terms of the system updates they've chosen to release. Not a slam or gripe in any sense, just kind of off that they would focus on support for themes/skins (perhaps low-hanging fruit) in place of the obvious need for the ability to access XMB without terminating a game, to retrieve messages, chat with an online friend, etc. Seems pretty intrisical to the whole online gaming console environment. Ditto with the ability to access your media from anywhere in the console. Why cant I play MP3s that are on my hard drive from within the PS3 gui? Makes no sense to me.

Another annoyance with the current limitations of the PS3 are the inability to output multiple audio channels at once. Its either digital (to home theater/surround) or to the TV via console component cable. One way or the other, they need to address it.

The in-game soundtrack would be completely useful.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Feb 19 2008, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 19 2008, 11:19 AM)
uber-lame.

Ive wondered about this type of oversight from Sony in general in terms of the system updates they've chosen to release. Not a slam or gripe in any sense, just kind of off that they would focus on support for themes/skins (perhaps low-hanging fruit) in place of the obvious need for the ability to access XMB without terminating a game, to retrieve messages, chat with an online friend, etc. Seems pretty intrisical to the whole online gaming console environment. Ditto with the ability to access your media from anywhere in the console. Why cant I play MP3s that are on my hard drive from within the PS3 gui? Makes no sense to me.

Another annoyance with the current limitations of the PS3 are the inability to output multiple audio channels at once. Its either digital (to home theater/surround) or to the TV via console component cable. One way or the other, they need to address it.

The in-game soundtrack would be completely useful.

Yeah, the make your own soundtrack feature really is cool, and should be supported in more games. I remember playing Gears of War (XBOX 360) and it had that feature. I would be rocking out to some Heavy Heavy Low Low while blowing the hell out of everything, and then when an in-game cutscene start, it would actually lower the soundtracks volume so you could hear... very nifty.

Unfortunately, all I own is a Wii, and they don't even let you put files on the hard drive angry.gif Thanks, Nintendo.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 4 2008, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 4 2008, 04:15 PM)
Hi everyone, I just bought a PS3!!!!      This is my first post from it  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

cool.gif

Just wait until you discover everything this box can do. You'll be totally amazed!!

Do you have it connected to a high-def screen?

One purchase at a time! I dont have a HI-DEF TV yet. Hopefully, I will get one with my tax refund/tax rebate

I am really enjoying it!!

By the Way did yall know that the 80gig PS3 has been discontinued? They stopped making them at the first of the year. I had to drive all over town to find one, and luckily Toys-R-US had a few 80gigs in stock still.

I am having trouble playing games online. I am trying to play Call of Duty 4 online but I cannot find any people to play with. How do I get involved in the online gaming?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 4 2008, 11:11 PM)
I am really enjoying it!!

By the Way did yall know that the 80gig PS3 has been discontinued?  They stopped making them at the first of the year.  I had to drive all over town to find one, and luckily Toys-R-US had a few 80gigs in stock still.

I am having trouble playing games online.  I am trying to play Call of Duty 4 online but I cannot find any people to play with.  How do I get involved in the online gaming?

Congrats on your PS3 I had to run around town to get an 80 gig myself.

This system is crazy. I can't believe the graphics and sound that comes out it.

And the Blue ray player is just out of this world.

Heres a link to the PlayStation COD forum it might help you find someone to play.

PlayStation.com Forums : Shooter : Call of Duty Series

yes.gif bekloppt.gif trink39.gif

Should I upgrade to PS3??

I like the PS2 ATV offroad fury 1/2/3 games, but haven't taken the plunge into PS3 yet, especially considering I'd need to get a high-def monitor.

Can anyone tell me if the PS3 ATV game(s) are awesome enough to warrant spending $1000 for a 40Gb console and a cheap HD monitor? The Blue Ray factor is a pretty good incentive, but...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

TMD

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/66071/atv_qjpreviewth.jpg

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 5 2008, 08:12 AM)

Yes, yes and YES! (If its in your budget)

It is a night and day difference in the graphics. To get the most out of the system though, you should have a HD screen. Blu-Ray is jaw-dropping and all the other features make this a great system.

Motor Storm is an HD game that blows away another other ATV race game I've ever seen. And, I just downloaded a demo of Gran Tourismo HD. Holy crap!! Words cannot describe this game, and it's only a playable demo so far... can't wait to see the finished product!

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 5 2008, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Mar 5 2008, 08:12 AM)

Yes, yes and YES! (If its in your budget)

It is a night and day difference in the graphics. To get the most out of the system though, you should have a HD screen. Blu-Ray is jaw-dropping and all the other features make this a great system.

Motor Storm is an HD game that blows away another other ATV race game I've ever seen. And, I just downloaded a demo of Gran Tourismo HD. Holy crap!! Words cannot describe this game, and it's only a playable demo so far... can't wait to see the finished product!

Sounds amazing. I should take the plunge...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 11 2008, 08:46 AM)
I just pre-ordered GTA4!!!

Awesome! I've had it on preorder for a few weeks now. I can't even remember what the release data is... sometime in April I think yeah?

1022.gif

Pah! You call yourself GTA fans!

I've had it pre-ordered since last summer. In my defense, I must state the only reason I've had it pre-ordered that long is because it was orignally supposed to release last fall.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Mar 11 2008, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 11 2008, 08:46 AM)
I just pre-ordered GTA4!!!

Awesome! I've had it on preorder for a few weeks now. I can't even remember what the release data is... sometime in April I think yeah?

1022.gif

Pah! You call yourself GTA fans!

I've had it pre-ordered since last summer. In my defense, I must state the only reason I've had it pre-ordered that long is because it was orignally supposed to release last fall.

Well I just bought a ps3, so what was the point of pre-ordering it earlier wink.gif

But I am playing alot of San Andreas in buildup for this Game.

QUOTE (LaVilla @ Mar 12 2008, 03:28 PM)
It's the only 2.gif PS3 theme that i've found, Tried to make one but it's too hard/ dont have time, So if you fancy something different, Go Here
I think the wallpaper changes every game/re-boot

That's cool man I never knew you could grab themes except from the PS Store - I'll chekc this out this weekend!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 16 2008, 12:05 AM)
Bought Guitar Hero 3 today!!!

Cool - I bought it for a friend yesterday.

I was/am super pissed with Guitar Hero right now doe to all the PS3 compatibility and backwards compatibility BS.. however then apparently will release a bundled Guitar Hero I & II for the PS3 plus some of their DLC has been great lately... so maybe I'll take the plunge and rebuy that later in the year.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 17 2008, 08:44 AM)

I was/am super pissed with Guitar Hero right now doe to all the PS3 compatibility and backwards compatibility BS.. however then apparently will release a bundled Guitar Hero I & II for the PS3 plus some of their DLC has been great lately... so maybe I'll take the plunge and rebuy that later in the year.

I do not own GH 1 and 2. My PS2 broke before gh1 came out, and I told myself I would just wait to get a PS3. 2 years later I finally bought one.

But Can you not use the wireless guitar that came with GH3 for GH 1&2?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2008, 03:24 PM)

I do not own GH 1 and 2. My PS2 broke before gh1 came out, and I told myself I would just wait to get a PS3. 2 years later I finally bought one.

Unfortunately, no. One thing I discovered early on was that trying to get the PS2 guitar to work with the PS3, even with the conversion dongle, was difficult. So I decided to buy a used PS2. Nowadays you can get them from a pawnshop for about $40-60.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Mar 18 2008, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 17 2008, 03:24 PM)

Unfortunately, no. One thing I discovered early on was that trying to get the PS2 guitar to work with the PS3, even with the conversion dongle, was difficult. So I decided to buy a used PS2. Nowadays you can get them from a pawnshop for about $40-60.

I already knew that the GH2 guitar didn't work on the PS3, due to the wireless nature of the ps3.

I have the wireless guitar for GH3 though. I am asking if the games themselves work on the ps3, and can you just use the Wirless guitar that came with GH3?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 18 2008, 09:13 AM)
I have the wireless guitar for GH3 though. I am asking if the games themselves work on the ps3, and can you just use the Wirless guitar that came with GH3?

No you can't and yes that sucks.

Shame on Activision!

Sadly they are supposed to re-release GH1 and GH2 bundled together for the PS3 and those two games are just so awesome that everyone including myself will buy them.

firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 18 2008, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 18 2008, 09:13 AM)
I have the wireless guitar for GH3 though.  I am asking if the games themselves work on the ps3, and can you just use the Wirless guitar that came with GH3?

No you can't and yes that sucks.

Shame on Activision!

Sadly they are supposed to re-release GH1 and GH2 bundled together for the PS3 and those two games are just so awesome that everyone including myself will buy them.

firedevil.gif

I remeber seeing on that Activision (Here is the Link) has several releases for GH this year coming out. Guitar Hero: Areosmith comes out this Summer, Guitar Hero: On Tour (for the Nintendo DS) has also been announced, as well as the planned release of GH4 this fall.

The article also mentions an "un-named" add on, as well to the Areosmith add on. I would be willing that this second add on is a re-release bundle of the first 2 games.

Archived